Question on Line Rules [spoiler]

amaranth2

So there are a few things that I need help getting my head around after reading the book. They are:

1. Why does the line of forbiddance affect the 3rd dimension even if the students are just juniors?

2. are you allowed to step out of the circle to draw distant objects and come back? Some of the line of forbiddance drawn to deflect / bounce Lines of Vigor seems to be quite far away from the circle, I don't think that's possible without stepping out of the circle?

Cheers!

1)I guess you refer to the glyph of rending that is taught only when the rithmatist is in Nebrask: as I understood it, that one just enables chalklings to affect things different from chalk, it doesn't affect the other lines.

2)Again, I assume you are talking about tournament rules: If you are out of your circles you lose, whether by it be broken or moved by a line of vigor, so I think coming out by yourself would equal surrendering. I don't know what defence you are referring to, but I don't remember any with lines very far from the circle.

Yeah, tournament rules would be different than actual rithmatic rules.  LoF (lines of forbiddance) are the only lines that would restrict movent in 3D.  so you could step out of the circle (not in tournament) with no effect other than leaving yourself unprotected. 

As to your first question, I'm not sure I quite follow you.  LoF require no other lines or glyphs to function.  The rithmatist need only draw a straight line with the intent to draw a LoF (intent matters).  No age or additional knowledge or skill is required.

As for your first question, I agree with Shardlet. I don't think it matters if they are  only Juniors, if they are Rithmatists and intend to draw a LoF then it will be a LoF, affecting even the things in 3D

Now for your second question, I'm going to assume you are referencing one of the diagrams in the book. I can't remember what chapter it's in at the moment, but I think it's somewhere in the middle of the book.

Anyway. When I saw the diagram, I took it to mean that the Rithmatist had not actually drawn those lines themselves, but had just used the Lofs  that another Rithmatist had drawn to their own advantage. Kinda like how Fitch did in the final battle against the Inspector.