Mojang (minecraft creators) being sued for patent infringement

Eerongal

linky

So after deep consideration (5 minutes on the internet), i have come to the conclusion that this "Uniloc" company is a patent troll.

IMO, as it stands, patent law seriously needs to be reevaluated, because in its current form it doesn't work at all with software. I have no problem with there being patent laws, but as they are, they do more harm than good for software, and in many instances are actively against change.

What's everyone else think?

Uniloc is also suing several other companies for the same reason - link

I'm really hoping that this case gets thrown out, since if the courts rule in favor of Uniloc, I would expect to see quite a bit more lawsuits coming up... especially since their patent is for a "system and method for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data" and refers to any kind of central database for registration...

Uniloc is also suing several other companies for the same reason - link

I'm really hoping that this case gets thrown out, since if the courts rule in favor of Uniloc, I would expect to see quite a bit more lawsuits coming up... especially since their patent is for a "system and method for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data" and refers to any kind of central database for registration...

Yeah, the patent itself is so vague that it basically refers to any sort of server-side authentication. Also, like i mentioned previously, they don't appear to offer any actual product, so i don't see why they deserve someone else's money, just because they claim to have "thought up" server side authentication first (note: Highly unlikely)