The Great Reread - Towers of Midnight

Shivertongue

THIS THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Discussion thread for the Great Reread, pertaining to book 13, Towers of Midnight. This is the penultimate volume of The Wheel of Time, and the second written by Brandon Sanderson. I know I've been admonishing you if you started at any book other than Eye of the World, but seriously... this is NOT the place to start. And if you're stubbornly clinging to your erroneous decision, then... well, you're only embarrassing yourself.

Everyone else, this is it! I hope you've made it here before January!

For information and to join The Great Reread, please go here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll update this as I continue reading...

One interesting thing I noticed on the reread was the Gawyn pocketed the Bloodknives' rings that give them cause them to fight faster, but end up killing them.

I have yet to get to that point, but I do remember that happening. I don't think that will end up being anything than just that.

I just began and am to the point where Perrin and Galad are about to confront each other

Also, I saw the allusion to Mat's letter and it did make me cringe a bit. Mat really didn't have the right tone so far, and I actually thought Galad seemed a bit off as well. Almost a bit too fanatical. He seemed much more earnest, not Whitecloak loopy, when he ran across Nyn and Elayne in the earlier books.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the reread yesterday...

As for the rings, I think that Gawyn might be able to use them because of the warder band, the benefit he gets might stop the blood "poison"

What I find "good" about that though is that he still regards Egwene as a full Aes Sedai because if he did trust her.

He could show her 1 ring and let Elayne, or Aviendha figure out how the rings work.

Yet he probably thinks the Aes Sedai will "demand" the right of owning the rings because they are Ter'Angreal.

It might proof helpful for avoiding the future Aviendha saw at her Wise One Passage in Rhuidean?

And who was that woman Aviendha met during her travels to Rhuidean?

Gawyn starts as a very unbalanced character but remember he has been in a division ever since Gathering Storms where he had to choose between the younglings and the Tower Guards, then next to that the person he loves is in Aes Sedai politics.

I think the whole purpose for these 2 in the books was to set them to the last battle no matter what their believes.

They both are in a very emotional state in ToM, where their motives are being questioned by other people but also by themselves.

They both get "Advice" from persons they admire/respect most.

Gawyn from Gareth Bryne/Siun and Elayne.

Galad from his stepmother Morgase Trakand.

There is so much going on in this book to wrap things up :D

My most favorite part of this book is the part where Perrin makes a power wrought weapon.

That is some excellent writing right there.

Edited by Shuyinsan

I finished over the weekend as well. I haven't read New Spring yet, but I don't consider that part of the real series. I'll get to it before January, though.

Yeah, the scene with Perrin and the power-wrought hammer just shows how awesome he is. I had forgotten about the rings that Gawyn takes, it will be interesting to see what comes of that. I am very glad that both he and Galad have been "fixed" so to speak so they aren't as angry, idealistic, and see the situation a bit more clearly now.

I think one of the things I am most looking forward to now is what Moiraine can do, or what she has to say to Rand.

Another thought as I read this is that Perrin really did become the best leader of the 3 boys. Rand has his super-sayan ta-veren powers going for him, Mat has his luck and his stapled on memories. Perrin just has the force of his own personality, coupled with the understanding he has gained as a wolf-brother. Perrin is the only one that will be an effective leader when all is said and done, Mat will hopefully be able to do something with the Seanchan and I am really clueless what will happen to Rand. Resurrection seems likely, but what will he do when he is done, will he go live in a hut with Min somewhere, or turn into a Philosopher.

There is a theory out there, I suggest looking at Theoryland for all sorts of fun ones, that Nakomi may have been Verin in disguise. The timeline are a bit muddled these last two books as everything comes to a head, but it seemed quite convincing.

I am also wondering what Avi is going to do to prevent the Dragon's Peace from being laid upon the land so she can avoid the fate of what she saw in the crystal pillars.

• 1 month later...

I am happy to say I am fully caught up, and will post a couple of questions from the last couple of books here.

Do we know if Setalle was stilled or burned out?

Did Demandred manipulate Masema? In the viewpoint from him before he died, he said that the Dragon Reborn appeared before him glowing with light, so was all masterminded by Demandred?

Does anyone know if there is an artwork of Perrin charging the Shaido? That was an awesome scene and I wanted to see if it has been drawn.

That is it, loved these books more than I remembered, and I can't wait for A Memory of Light to be released. I am so excited.

Leading theory on Setalle is that she is the AS that got burned out testing angreal and terangreal. I can't remember her ever actually admitting who she was, but Mat is pretty confident that she used to be an AS.

Masema could have been manipulated, but then crazy people do have halucinations.

• 2 weeks later...