The Great Reread - Sign-up Thread

Shivertongue

I started re-reading them just a tad before this challenge was started. I'm on The Path of Daggers right now :D.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to finish them by the time A Memory of Light comes out. I'm leaving on my LDS mission on August 15 so I'm doubting that I'll have enough time to read the rest. I'll for-suredly say how far I managed to get before I leave though :D. If I really decide I have to, I'll be able to read about half a book a day (unless it's 3/4 including a nap time... I don't know how far I was in A Crown of Swords when I continued my reading of it yesterday), so there's always the chance that I'll get those awards ;).

I started re-reading them just a tad before this challenge was started. I'm on The Path of Daggers right now :D.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to finish them by the time A Memory of Light comes out. I'm leaving on my LDS mission on August 15 so I'm doubting that I'll have enough time to read the rest. I'll for-suredly say how far I managed to get before I leave though :D. If I really decide I have to, I'll be able to read about half a book a day (unless it's 3/4 including a nap time... I don't know how far I was in A Crown of Swords when I continued my reading of it yesterday), so there's always the chance that I'll get those awards ;).

Well, you get the first one just by joining. :D

Sign me up! I've been thinking about rereading the Wot and this may just be the push I need to get it done.

Only question is which set of books to use. The old worn out ones that have been lent out and read many times over or the brand new ones I bought just to to sit on my shelf and look pretty.

@Voldy

I totally can comiscerate with you there, though it did give great reasons to have to read the series over, and over, and over... LOL ^_^ Kind of like the Energizer bunny, if you think about it. :P

@Shiver

Thanks for the welcome! I've been more of a member "lurker", I suppose you could say. Although, this gave me a great reason to finally post something. ^_^ I am nothing of an artist myself imho, so I can imagine it must be at least twice as hard for someone like you to have to look at some of those... attempts, I will say. Totally agree with you that they should take there time and do it right if they do it again. Personally, I think it would be a great idea to either incorporate some art into the Encyclopedia that Harriet will be doing, or better yet, if they have enough artists and pieces of work after completing the layout of the encyclopedia, they should consider doing an art book solely dedicated to the WoT. Now that would be sweet.

Count me in. I've actually been meaning to do a reread of the WoT for years, but have never started. I think the overall scale of the series has intimidated me as I have reread several, much shorter series (such as Memory, Sorry, and Thorn) several times in the past few years.

I just started back in to the EotW, and I have a feeling I will be needing to read a bunch over my Christmas holiday this year.

I'm in! I actually started (for the first time) a month or two ago, so I'm currently on Fire of Heaven. But I only have till October to finish. We'll see how far I get. ;)

The book doesn't come out until January. I understand that you may be forced to stop in October, but I wanted to just point out the date unless you were mistaken.

I'm on book five of the re-read going at my slow leisurely pace. Can I be a part of this?

You most certainly can. I'll add your name to the list - and be sure to post your thoughts on this particular reread, if anything comes to you. :)

I actually began The Great Reread several weeks ago. So far I'm up to The Fires of Heaven (book 5}. It's kinda depressing reading from the perspectives of Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene in the early books. They all seem to infuriate me!

Edited by Lysid

I actually began The Great Reread several weeks ago. So far I'm up to The Fires of Heaven (book 5}. It's kinda depressing reading from the perspectives of Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene in the early books. They all seem to infuriate me!

No matter when ya started, I'll add ya to the list :D

And I know what you mean. I was thinking the exact same thing in this latest chapter of Shadow Rising. I'm not as annoyed with them as I remember being the first time I read it, though.

No matter when ya started, I'll add ya to the list :D

And I know what you mean. I was thinking the exact same thing in this latest chapter of Shadow Rising. I'm not as annoyed with them as I remember being the first time I read it, though.

Aviendha too! I can't believe what a b***h she was early on! Still, it's incredibly nostalgic re-reading WoT. I hope that one day The Stormlight Archive will make me feel like this when we're re-reading them all.

Edited by Lysid

Aviendha too! I can't believe what a b***h she was early on! Still, it's incredibly nostalgic re-reading WoT. I hope that one day The Stormlight Archive will make me feel like this when we're re-reading them all.

Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today about Stormlight! Well, it was more about how the Wheel of Time characters are so familiar and comfortable to me, and that I hoped that by the time the end of Stormlight came along I would feel the same about them.

Actually, I liked Aviendha from the very first. She came across as a total REDACTED, yeah, but I could sense that it was... forced, kind of. I had something of a theory, around the end of Shadows, that she was the third of Rand's girls, but almost nothing to base it on but hunch. Also, I just have an intense fondness for the Aiel. ^__^

Once you understand that: a. Aviendha loves Rand, b. she is honor-bound to Elayne to keep him from other women, and c. every time she feels love towards him, it turns to shame; then you understand a little more why she acts the way she does towards him. It isn't fair, and IMO she incurs toh for the way she involves him in her own honor, but she doesn't see it that way, and as I'm not Aiel, what do I know of toh?

• 2 weeks later...

On the crown of swords now, I m technically not in the great reread though, as it is my first read of the series...

Years ago I tried to read it few times but could never get trough first book, and after I found out Brandon will finish it and in serious lack of drugs for my Sandersonmania I tried again, and I m now fully into it.

Strange how now I have to reevaluate my philosophy that I can judge weather is series worth reading after first book:)

Edited by 2dark

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished TGH, Hopfully I can slow down some I`d hate to finish a month before Memory of Light even hits the shelves.

EDIT: Done Dragon reborn now also. Slowign down is tougher than I thought, I`ll just have to wait until Egwene is alone from her POV, that should slow me donw.

Edited by Igolbug

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so late and so not going to get this series finished by deadline, but I recently acquired a second hand copy of the first book, and seeing as I trust the taste of many of you here, and that you do nothing short of raving about this series (and with Brandon continuing the series at some stage) I will start my journey on this series, and my first, truly truly epic (almost) completed series!

Lets say, a taster for what is to come with The Stormlight Archive!

I'll be sure to post some silly questions at some stage, so my only request is that you please keep an eye out to laugh at me!

I'm so late and so not going to get this series finished by deadline, but I recently acquired a second hand copy of the first book, and seeing as I trust the taste of many of you here, and that you do nothing short of raving about this series (and with Brandon continuing the series at some stage) I will start my journey on this series, and my first, truly truly epic (almost) completed series!

Lets say, a taster for what is to come with The Stormlight Archive!

I'll be sure to post some silly questions at some stage, so my only request is that you please keep an eye out to laugh at me!

No worries. I am always on the lookout for chances to make fun of people. :P

I can't confine myself within the parameters of the challenge because I've only read R.J.'s New Spring and will be re-reading it in a matter of days. I've challenged myself to read the entire R.J. WoT series this coming year and the sooner I start, the better. I feel completely awkward in that I'm one alone amongst few I know who haven't read R.J.! This totally sucks because I want to establish myself as someone who knows what she's talking about! I can't do that until I read the books.