Any Doctor Who fans out there, or am I the only one?

If so, who's you favorite Doctor and why?

Who's your favorite companion and why?

What's your favorite story arc?

My favorite Doctor is 11. (Matt Smith) Because he's always playful until something serious happens. Then the gloves come off and he's a total boss.

My favorite companion is Rory. Just because he's so awesome. He's nice, caring and patient. (Need I remind you of the two thousand years he spent guarding Amy as a plastic Roman Centurion?) He may not be a huge manly man, but he is brave and does whatever it takes to protect Amy.

My favorite story arc is probably The end of season five. You know, with the whole "Pandorica Opens" thing. That was pretty great. Although Blink, the 50th Anniversary (can't remember the actual title at the moment) and the Day of the Doctor are pretty great too!

I am a Whovian.  Capaldi is my favorite.  I like his intensity and the hard choices (I dig the new intro music too; Tubular bells rock!).  Favorite companion is Donna because she keeps the Doctor grounded and is a very active participant in their adventures.  Donna is not a passenger.  Favorite story is the Empty Child and the Dances. Although, I wish they made something out of the cut on the back of the hand since it turned up in later episodes (e.g., the Doctor's Daughter).  The 50th Anniversary (the Day of the Doctor) was great.  And Blink is one of my favorites.

I change my mind on favourite Doctor, but I have a fondess for the backhalf of the classic set; Six, Seven and Eight. I like Six's arrogance, the darkness in Seven, and the exuberance of Eight. All of them should have gotten longer (and better) stories than what they ended up with.

Best companion, though? No contest. Captain Jack Harkness; one of the only reasons to re watch Torchwood. I love Jacks swagger, his charm, and for me, his sexuality; he was the first character I ever met like that, so it really expanded my mind on what science fiction and modern television can do.

Edited by Quiver

My favorite Doctors are the modern Who ones (9 - 12), mostly 'cause I haven't seen much old Who. I love Nine's sarcastic, no-nonsense attitude, Ten's amicable nature hiding something darker, and Eleven's silliness, also... hiding something darker. Twelve is just fantastic. There are no other words.

Favorite companion... hmm. I'd probably go with Donna, since she's a cool person and is like the only companion in New Who who doesn't crush on the Doctor 24/7.

My favorite story arc so far is Twelve's Promised Land, though the Silence from S6 is a close second. 

A Whovian here, albeit a lazy one lately.  We have half of the last series still to watch.  My husband doesn't always feel in the mood to watch it (what's wrong with him?!) and yet it's a show we both watch together. 

As to favorites, I really love Ten.  Hearts to you, David Tennant!  And I love Donna.  I'll have to think about my favorite story arc and get back to you.  Hey, maybe I should watch the rest of the most recent series, first, too!  :P

My friends got me hooked on Doctor Who the night after Salt Lake Comic Con in 2013. Got all caught up (not counting classic Who) in a little over a month. It was a great month. I've only watched the first Peter Capaldi episode, so I need to catch up once again, but I loved what I saw.

My favorite doctor is 10, by far. Matt Smith was great, yes, but David Tennant....Nothing compares to him for me. Although I have a feeling Peter Capaldi will come close.

My favorite companion is probably Donna, closely seconded by Jack.

And for my favorite story arc. Geez. That's a tough one. I like the beginning of the Weeping Angels in Blink (but I hated The Angels Take Manhattan, and not because of Amy and Rory), but I'm also a rather big fan of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (there's just something about the Doctor telling a horribly disturbing race to look him up and then watching them retreat from him that gets me every time). Or the backhalf of Season 4, particularly the story arc starting at Turn Left and ending with Journey's End, although I also adore Midnight and The End of Time (parts 1 and 2, emphasis on 2). The Silence is a great story arc too. I think I'm going to have to go with The Waters of Mars, though. I absolutely loved the character arc in that one. The Doctor grew so much. It's one of my all-time favorite Doctor Who episodes.

Doctor: Matt Smith. He is so much like me. I like characters I identify with, and he is the one.

Companion: Clara. She is so hot. That, and she is really hot. I know it's shallow. I don't care.

I really like A Good Man Goes to War. It is the time when his consequences catch up to him and that speaks to me. I also love anything with The Master or anything Gallifreyan.

Alright, after reading subsequent comments, I think I know which story arc I like best.  I loved the end of Martha's season, all the episodes with The Master starting with Utopia and continuing to the end of the third series.  In close second would be the Library episodes.

I'm a 20 year-old straight male with a poster of David Tennant in my room.  So yeah, I'm a fan.

My favorite episode is Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead because it's so sad, and as we know, sad is happy for deep people. 

Alright, after reading subsequent comments, I think I know which story arc I like best.  I loved the end of Martha's season, all the episodes with The Master starting with Utopia and continuing to the end of the third series.  In close second would be the Library episodes.

Season three is Tenants best in my opinion. The Master Trilogy is fun in itself (and features Jack!) but I think the rest of the season has good episodes too, like the Shakespeare Code, or the John Smith two partner. There are some clunkers- Daleks in Manhattan springs to mibd- but on the while I think Season 3 had more good than not.

I haven't decided how Capaldis season stacks up, but I think season five is the best story. As well as being the first season I watched live, the dark fairy tale tone was fantastic; seasons six and seven emphasised the dark, but season five looked, sounded and felt like a series which revelled in the wonder of the character and the setting.

Also, whereas later seasons start a trend where non-Moffat episodes aren't important to the meta arc, season five felt like everything mattered. I never had the feeling of frustration that the Doctor was putting problems on the back burner the way I did with the Silence or the Question. Season five had a great pace and made sense- unlike some later stories.

Season three is Tenants best in my opinion. The Master Trilogy is fun in itself (and features Jack!) but I think the rest of the season has good episodes too, like the Shakespeare Code, or the John Smith two partner. There are some clunkers- Daleks in Manhattan springs to mibd- but on the while I think Season 3 had more good than not.

I'd agree with this....if Martha wasn't the companion. I agree that most of the episodes in Season 3 are good episodes, but they tend to be tainted for me by Martha's pining after the Doctor and her complaints about his love for Rose. This is no doubt because intelligent women acting stupidly annoys me to no end, particularly when that stupidity stems from unrequited love. She fell in love with the Doctor. Fine. Believable. I probably would've too, in her situation. However, she knew he was in love with Rose, and while Rose was no longer in the picture, he hadn't received any kind of real closure to that, so it's highly unlikely that he'd be able to move past it, and even if he could move past it, it wouldn't be any time soon. She's intelligent enough to have figured that out. But she still pines for him and blames him for all of it when she's the one who got herself into the situation to begin with.

Even at the end of the season when she leaves because she knows it's hopeless, it still seems to me like she's blaming him for all of it--that he just needs to move on, and if he could then he would see that Martha is right there, and he'd fall in love with her. Which is stupid. And yet women do it all the time. And it's this fact that makes me say that while I dislike Martha and I'm not a huge fan of Season 3 because of her, at the same time, I wouldn't want her removed or replaced by someone else because the fact is that that stuff happens. It just bugs me that it does. And yet even with that acknowledgement, I still can't bring myself to really like her. Perhaps I see too much of myself in her--or at least, a past version of myself that I really wish I'd never been.

Series five was really, really good, and I think if my husband were to answer what his favorite arc was, it would be that whole season.  I think the combination of Tennant and The Master, though, will always get my vote. ;)

And yet women do it all the time. And it's this fact that makes me say that while I dislike Martha and I'm not a huge fan of Season 3 because of her, at the same time, I wouldn't want her removed or replaced by someone else because the fact is that that stuff happens. It just bugs me that it does. And yet even with that acknowledgement, I still can't bring myself to really like her. Perhaps I see too much of myself in her--or at least, a past version of myself that I really wish I'd never been.

I think the same goes for me, the whole thing about finding enough of myself (or my past self) in her yet realizing that this happens all too often.

I'm a 20 year-old straight male with a poster of David Tennant in my room.  So yeah, I'm a fan.

My favorite episode is Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead because it's so sad, and as we know, sad is happy for deep people. 

It gets even more sad *and* more happy on a rewatch after watching River's arc.  So many feels!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a WHo Fan since I was 8 years old, Sneaking out of my room late at night to watch Doctor who on the BYU PBS Station at Midnight with the volume on Low.

Tom Baker used to Be Top of my List of Favorite Doctor's but I have to Admit that Tennet has recently Unseated Tom as Tennet is the only one to consitently make me Cry as a Doctor.  Tom Still will always have a Top place of Honor in my Heart but at this Time Tennet is my #1.

Sarah Jane Was always My #1 Companion with K-9 Riding along side, Okay so yeah I am old School Docotor Who... Sue me :-P... But Billie Piper Runs a Close second For me and HEL YEAH!! I am getting a Photo with her at this months Salt Lake Comic Con FanX!.

Weeping Angels has become my favorite Stories in the Doctor who verse, Though I do wish/Hope that they would come up with more new Enemies rather Re-using the Good ones Like the Weeping Angels. THe Best Epsiodes, I always Find, Are when there is more originality with a Doctor... Don't get me wrong.. I am all forsome Iconic Dalek Vs Doctor Battles... when used sparringly. But lately it seems tehy get over used and that they draw on the "Popular" Enemies from past seasons rather than coming up with something new and great for the current Docotor to become known for.  Lets see something New.

Weeping Angels has become my favorite Stories in the Doctor who verse, Though I do wish/Hope that they would come up with more new Enemies rather Re-using the Good ones Like the Weeping Angels. THe Best Epsiodes, I always Find, Are when there is more originality with a Doctor... Don't get me wrong.. I am all forsome Iconic Dalek Vs Doctor Battles... when used sparringly. But lately it seems tehy get over used and that they draw on the "Popular" Enemies from past seasons rather than coming up with something new and great for the current Docotor to become known for.  Lets see something New.

Agreed; we have had quite a few new monsters in new Who (the two-dimensional beings or the robots from Sherwood, for some Capaldi examples), but they seem to be used as just one-off villains. The only new species I can think of which has been added and consistently used are the Weeping Angels... though even there, I think they've kind of lost a lot of what made them cool in the first place. With each appearance the Angels get, the less threatening they seem to be, even though Moffat keeps adding new powers to them.

(Though I maintain that the whole "image of angels become the angels" thing is how they reproduce, because that makes them terrifying to me. You can avoid them by staring at them, but if you stare too long, you get turned into a new angel. That's my head canon for them, anyway.)

I'm a Dr Who fan too. My favourite Doctor has to be Matt Smith although I will admit that Peter Capaldi has had some brilliant lines ("Yes, she's my carer. She cares so I don't have to").

My favourite episode has to be The Doctor's Wife, as written by Neil Gaiman. The dialogue between Doctor and Tardis is just superb ("You never take me where I want to go." "No, but I always get you to where you need to be").

As for favourite bad guy, probably the Weeping Angels. Blink was another terrific episode. That said, the Angels and the Master are pretty much neck and neck. John Simms at the Master was just brilliant, and I permanently have that song in my head whenever I think about it ("I can't decide whether you should live or die...").

I do have to say though, I was disappointed by the story arc in the latest series. 'Missy' was just terrible, and horribly predictable.

With each appearance the Angels get, the less threatening they seem to be, even though Moffat keeps adding new powers to them.

I think this is the problem. He keeps adding new powers trying to make them more terrifying but by doing that it has the counter-effect. The Angels were terrifying because they were mysterious--they weren't an outright evil in that they killed you immediately. No, they sent you back in time and killed you that way.

Also, I know that the the end sequence in Blink gave the impression that it's all statues, but I'm convinced that the show shouldn't have expounded on that particular idea--especially using the Statue of Liberty to do it. Crash of Byzantium was fantastic, and just added to the Angels mystery. Angels Take Manhattan was a horrible episode that shouldn't exist. I can suspend my disbelief for a lot of things. The Statue of Liberty being an Angel that is able to stomp through New York City and no one sees? The biggest tourist attraction in the city that never sleeps somehow has nobody watching it while it does that? No. I'm sorry but just no. So much no. I draw the line there. I can't even force myself to believe that that's plausible.

Also, I know that the the end sequence in Blink gave the impression that it's all statues, but I'm convinced that the show shouldn't have expounded on that particular idea--especially using the Statue of Liberty to do it. Crash of Byzantium was fantastic, and just added to the Angels mystery. Angels Take Manhattan was a horrible episode that shouldn't exist. I can suspend my disbelief for a lot of things. The Statue of Liberty being an Angel that is able to stomp through New York City and no one sees? The biggest tourist attraction in the city that never sleeps somehow has nobody watching it while it does that? No. I'm sorry but just no. So much no. I draw the line there. I can't even force myself to believe that that's plausible.

You do not want to get me started on that episode. I mean it, you do not even

That season was one of the weakest of New Who since it's revival, in my opinion, and that episode in particular was awful. The Angel time loop concept was neat, but the statue of liberty angel was...

I dont want to say dumb. There are ways that could have worked; if the Giant Angel was tricked into becoming the Statue of Liiberty by the Doctor (tourist landmark, meaning someone will always be watching it, meaning it can't do anything, ever). That might have been a neat way to stop a Big Bad.

Alternatively... "whatever holds the image of an angel becomes an angel"? Just how many post cards have images of the Statue of Liberty again?

It was an idea that could have worked, but the way it was used in the episode was dumb; just a case of "here is a big shot because it's cool, woooo, title credits!"

Oh, and the Doctor can't go back to 1930's Manhatten? What's stopping him from parking the TARDIS down the street, or picking them up a decade later?

It can be explained away- Amy and Rory are saturated with temporal energies, so they can't enter the TARDIS or something- but the fact I have to resort to so many unwieldy head canons to make the episode work is a major mark against it.

Edited by Quiver

You do not want to get me started on that episode. I mean it, you do not even

That season was one of the weakest of New Who since it's revival, in my opinion, and that episode in particular was awful. The Angel time loop concept was neat, but the statue of liberty angel was...

I dont want to say dumb. There are ways that could have worked; if the Giant Angel was tricked into becoming the Statue of Liiberty by the Doctor (tourist landmark, meaning someone will always be watching it, meaning it can't do anything, ever). That might have been a neat way to stop a Big Bad.

Alternatively... "whatever holds the image of an angel becomes an angel"? Just how many post cards have images of the Statue of Liberty again?

It was an idea that could have worked, but the way it was used in the episode was dumb; just a case of "here is a big shot because it's cool, woooo, title credits!"

Oh, and the Doctor can't go back to 1930's Manhatten? What's stopping him from parking the TARDIS down the street, or picking them up a decade later?

It can be explained away- Amy and Rory are saturated with temporal energies, so they can't enter the TARDIS or something- but the fact I have to resort to so many unwieldy head canons to make the episode work is a major mark against it.

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAAA!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!

I agree with him making a Mistake of adding things like you could become an angle jsut by looking at a photograph of one....

they were frightening enough without any more abilities.

And Manhatten Episode could have worked easily enough without the staue of liberty. I thought it was a good episode if you had taken out the statue of liberty.. at that point I was like "whu??"

but then again... IT never happened...

One other thing I was a bit annoyed, durring the later seasons of Matt Smith, was the attempt to add Addtional Regular Cast members.

I really wasn't a Fan of the Walking Potatoe and the Lizard Lady of Means.

Edited by little wilson
please use the edit feature rather than double posting

I liked the Potato and the Lizard and Jenny. Esp. Jenny

and @manhattan

1. He read the chapter titles.

2. He had enough difficulty getting to Rory the first time, the timey wimey stuff would've shot the TARDIS back the second time.

3. He read the gravestone

I liked the Potato and the Lizard and Jenny. Esp. Jenny

and @manhattan

1. He read the chapter titles.

2. He had enough difficulty getting to Rory the first time, the timey wimey stuff would've shot the TARDIS back the second time.

3. He read the gravestone

I liked the Walking Potato and Lizard lady okay as Occasional characters, but not as regualrs.

Jenny would have been a Decent secondary companion.

I really wish that they had gone away after their respective first episodes. Unfortunately, they are still around despite their ridiculous scripts and even worse acting. Add in the unnecessary lesbian relationship agenda and you've got the whole terrible shebang. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm really sick of them.

I don't even care if I get super down voted for this. It really felt good to finally say it all to someone.

Edited by Arthur Dent