Dragons in WOK? (Spoilers)

JamesW

I think I was unclear with what I posted. If indeed there were dragons (hypothetically) then they might have survived in mythology as the feared creatures they see in present day, such as greatshells.

The assumption itself is quite unfounded, and was just speculating on my interpretation of the image. The wings of the creatures looked similar to those one would expect a dragon to have, as opposed to an insectoid.

I accept that they could look like crabwasps but think they look more like crabdragons.

Ah, the eels, you're are correct, sir. There's even a picture of the little buggers in the book.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of much larger creatures that fly. The eels fly yes, but I wouldn't think they inspire fear or legends or even myths. It could be the creatures illustrated are much smaller than I'm thinking, but I would think people would remember or remark more often about a creature that looked like that and was larger than a man. I see a hawk in flight and I say, wow, that's big dang bird, although I see smaller flying animals all the time. Even condors inspire legends.

I just think it's strange that there might exist, or might have existed, such large flying animals and no one has mentioned them at all in the books, besides that drawing. I don't think they're dragons. But I don't think they're just your normal run of the mill animal who are common in-world either.

I think I was unclear with what I posted. If indeed there were dragons (hypothetically) then they might have survived in mythology as the feared creatures they see in present day, such as greatshells.

The assumption itself is quite unfounded, and was just speculating on my interpretation of the image. The wings of the creatures looked similar to those one would expect a dragon to have, as opposed to an insectoid.

I accept that they could look like crabwasps but think they look more like crabdragons.

The lower body looks too much like the thorax of a wasp for them to be dragons. I might be willing to accept that it is a crabdragowasp, but that takes too long to say and is not as cool as a crabwasp.

The lower body looks too much like the thorax of a wasp for them to be dragons. I might be willing to accept that it is a crabdragowasp, but that takes too long to say and is not as cool as a crabwasp.

How about a Draconian Crabwasp?

Since this is the Knights Radiant table, I'm personally doubtful that anyone would have used images of Voidbringers as the background for the chart. If these crabwasps or whatever, were on the other chart, I'd be more willing to believe that.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I think those things on the cover are supposed to be axehounds.

Axehounds do have six legs, mandibles, and a tail like that, according to the pictures of them.

I think that Reader's theory of axehounds makes sense. The largest contributing factor to me is the antennae- they're exactly the same in both the notebook illustration and cover art. I agree on the six legs and mandibles point, and the tails could be seen as either a stinger-like abdomen or the shrimp-like structure from the notebook, depending on your point of view. However, there are still the wings, claws, and different head structure to explain. To this end I suggest a slight deviation-

It is obvious this group is very different from our ordinary servant parshmen... Perhaps they are distant cousins, as different from ordinary parshmen as Alethi axehounds are from the Selay breed.

(WoK, ch. 45, third paragraph; paperback p.779. Paraphrased, emphasis added; Scholar comparing parshmen and Parshendi)

Could it be that Selay axehounds fly? It's a bit of a stretch, but given the comparison- dependent parshmen to fully intelligent Parshendi- it allows a fair amount of leeway.

To be honest, I'd prefer them to be almighty crabdragons/crabwasps. With or without gemheart-fueled firebreathing capabilities. Despite that, my logical half still says flying axehounds.

Seems very axehound-ey. On the other hand, as some have already noted, there are pretty big differences. Perhaps some kind of evolved form (Pokemon style)? Stormlight infused axehound? "Voidlight" infused axehound? Spawn of greatshell with axehound? I honestly hadn't thought much about it and assumed it to be innocuous until Peter gave the ol' RAFO. For some reason, no matter how many BS books I read I just never learn...

Edited by Voidbringer

• Chaos locked this topic