Website Scanner

Quiver

So, I'll hold my hand up to this: I'm kind of paranoid about computer/website security, since it's the sort of thing that I really don't understand. I've recently started buying things online, which... probably hasn't helped much.

Anyway, my query; does anyone know a reliable site (or method, in general) for scanning whether or not a website has been infected (or, worse, could infect my computer) with malware, virus, trojans, etc? 

I've been using Google safe browsing diagnostic to check websites, but out of curiosity, I decided to put some of the ones I use through a few other scanners, namely Sucuri and Web Inspector. My problem is that the same website is getting different results on each scanner; according to Google, they tend to be fine, Web Inspector puts them as Clear, and Sucuri lists them as being infected with malware and stuff. So... I'm sort of at a loss.

It's rare for anybody to actually get infected just for visiting a site. That's usually a pretty dedicated attack the average joe doesn't need to worry about. If you store things or download things, though... then you get either be traced to other things and messed with there, or you could get infected. Unlikely visitng'll be a problem though.

From my knowledge it is possible but it's highly unlikely that you'll find a site like that, I believe google filters such websites from its search results. It's highly unlikely to be an issue so long as you are careful what and where you download.

• 5 weeks later...

You could try something like Malwarebytes (the paid version) which has a function called malicious Website Protection. I've had it block a few sites when I went to them.

You can also add a free layer of protection by pointing your DNS to something like the OpenDNS IP's

or the Comodo Secure DNS

They basically blacklist known badguys, and the list is always updated, so when you request a site that has a bad reputation the dns request goes through them and you would get a warning page i.e.

"Comodo Secure DNS Warning Warning: Unsafe Website Blocked! iwillinfectyou.com

This website has been blocked temporarily because of the following reason(s):

* Malware: Site may contain content that is harmful, illegal, or malicious to your computer

Go back to safety (Recommended)

This website has been reported as unsafe by various users and we do NOT recommend you to continue browsing. Disregard this warning and continue (Not Recommended)"

these DNS servers have some other benefits as well. If you sign up at opendns (free for home use with some restrictions) you also get to log in online, block certain categories of sites and turn on a few other security settings designed to block bad guys.