IRC

TheSadDragon

Hello all,

I thought I should create this thread to give some instructions on how to get started using IRC as well as going through the basics for those of you who have never been on IRC before.

Basic Info

There are currently two chat channels registered for our little part of the forum these two channels are:

#writingexcuses

#readingexcuses

I registered both as I'm not sure if it should be exclusively for reading excuses or not.

But how do I join the channels i hear you ask. It is actually not that tricky all you need is an IRC client -- which incidentally is what the next section is all about. ;)

IRC Client

The fastest way to get started it to use the webclient over at: http://webchat.freenode.net

This client is also embedded on the 17th Shard page and can be found at the Chat tab.

To join multiple channels at ones you simply type the name of all channels (# included) separated by commas, without any spaces.

So joining both of the channels mentioned above you would type: #writingexcuses,#readingexcuses

For those of you who are using an Android device I can also recommend AndChat.

If you use said client you will have to add the freenode irc server to the list of servers to be able to connect.

The Server address is: irc.freenode.net

Useful commands to know

"/join #xyz" = joins channel xyz

"/nick xyz" = change your nickname to xyz

"/me" = basic emote command

example of /me -- your nickname is xyz

if you simply type out "is tired" it will be displayed as

xyz: is tired

using /me turns this into

*xyz is tired

Think thats it for now, I'll post more when i think of it.

-The Sad Dragon