Idaho Falls signing Sat 11/29

PrncRny

Ok. It's been 3 days.

I'm posting the one question I overheard that was news to me.

A woman in line ahead of me asked Brandon if there was a connection or similarity between the Elantrian pool and the Horneater lake.

His response: "They are the same thing."

Not in the same place, obviously, but the same thing. I did not expect that of the Horneater lake. lol

Confirmation of the emerald pools being a Shardpool is nice! Not very useful, granted, since I think most people have been taking it as a given since WoR was released (though I may be projecting), but quite nice.

I was actually skeptical. A little, but skeptical.

Yeah, there probably should be an act in that last sentence. He didn't do a reading, though; as far as I know, he never does at the Idaho Falls B&N, but I think that's the store's decision rather than his.

Our store isn't set up to hold a reading, though I was chatting with an employee the second time I was in line about how some other places have done signings with readings/Q&As. They'd have to clear out a whole mall intersection for something like that, or rent a space at the library/hotel/convention center-ish place. 

Ok. It's been 3 days.

I'm posting the one question I overheard that was news to me.

A woman in line ahead of me asked Brandon if there was a connection or similarity between the Elantrian pool and the Horneater lake.

His response: "They are the same thing."

Not in the same place, obviously, but the same thing. I did not expect that of the Horneater lake. lol

This is me! I'm glad you posted it, since I've been working since the signing and wasn't sure I'd be on tonight even. :P My exact question was "Are the Elantrian pool and Horneater lake connected?" His response was just as you said, and it was clear from the context that it wasn't the same lake (obviously, again just affirming). I knew we had a rafo on this one before, but I've had some luck with getting actual answers. It might have something to do with my early (~2007, before we knew of the cosmere as a whole) questions about the Elantrian pool getting a "that is an interesting idea you have there" response, i.e. the pre-Robert Jordan era RAFO. ;)

Of less interest, but maybe still worth logging:

Q: Any news on Alcatraz 5?

A (paraphrased): He said he wrote the book last summer, and is waiting for the greenlight from Tor to hand it off, basically. They want to publish books 1-4 first, followed by this one. But the only thing needed is a schedule and edits! Still sounds like an early/mid 2016 thing to me.

Q: Where's Marsh? (An inside joke for a friend, but still a fun answer.)

A: Investigating the Southern Continent of Scadrial.

@Moogle

I was a bit more interested in the direct and irrefutable confirmation of shardpools being used for worldhopping, myself.

My next tactic is to ask if the shardpools are Stargate-esque transportation areas. (I'm telling you, my indirect strategy works - sorta. Although now you lot have me wondering if there is anything in the MB2 scene with Vin in the well to indicate this....) But that won't be until I manage another signing, so someone else is free to take that and run into the rafo wall. :) I would have pressed myself, but I had to leave quite suddenly. (And I've noticed immediate follow-ups tend to get shut down anyway...and it was my second time in line that day....)

I can't remember anything else, but if I do I'll make a quick edit here. Glad to see fellow sharders in my locale, and to meet a handful of you there!

What is Marsh doing? Is he with Saze in this new era? Or is he trying to get Hemalurgy back on line? Gack! 

I wonder if the survival Shard was shattered. Makes me sort of sad, though. I sort of liked him/her, even though we didn't know anything about them. 

Our store isn't set up to hold a reading, though I was chatting with an employee the second time I was in line about how some other places have done signings with readings/Q&As. They'd have to clear out a whole mall intersection for something like that, or rent a space at the library/hotel/convention center-ish place.

This is me! I'm glad you posted it, since I've been working since the signing and wasn't sure I'd be on tonight even. :P My exact question was "Are the Elantrian pool and Horneater lake connected?" His response was just as you said, and it was clear from the context that it wasn't the same lake (obviously, again just affirming). I knew we had a rafo on this one before, but I've had some luck with getting actual answers. It might have something to do with my early (~2007, before we knew of the cosmere as a whole) questions about the Elantrian pool getting a "that is an interesting idea you have there" response, i.e. the pre-Robert Jordan era RAFO. ;)

Of less interest, but maybe still worth logging:

Q: Any news on Alcatraz 5?

A (paraphrased): He said he wrote the book last summer, and is waiting for the greenlight from Tor to hand it off, basically. They want to publish books 1-4 first, followed by this one. But the only thing needed is a schedule and edits! Still sounds like an early/mid 2016 thing to me.

Q: Where's Marsh? (An inside joke for a friend, but still a fun answer.)

A: Investigating the Southern Continent of Scadrial.

My next tactic is to ask if the shardpools are Stargate-esque transportation areas. (I'm telling you, my indirect strategy works - sorta. Although now you lot have me wondering if there is anything in the MB2 scene with Vin in the well to indicate this....) But that won't be until I manage another signing, so someone else is free to take that and run into the rafo wall. :) I would have pressed myself, but I had to leave quite suddenly. (And I've noticed immediate follow-ups tend to get shut down anyway...and it was my second time in line that day....)

I can't remember anything else, but if I do I'll make a quick edit here. Glad to see fellow sharders in my locale, and to meet a handful of you there!

Nice meeting you on Saturday! Did you get that video posted to your blog?

Q: Can you write in one of my books about something we don’t know about the Shards, or at least one of the Shards?

A: Writes “Odium has killed at least one more Shard than the ones we know about.”

P.S. Brandon said to tell the 17th Shard “Hello!”

Is that Verbatim? Because it might not have been Splintered just the Shardholder killed, which would be interesting.

Is that Verbatim? Because it might not have been Splintered just the Shardholder killed, which would be interesting.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS WONDERING. I mean, it totes seems his MO to splinter the shards once the holder is dead, but maybe this one was different for some reason? Or perhaps this was the first, and someone DID take up the Shard afterwards, so Odium realized he'd have to splinter from now on. zomg.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS WONDERING. I mean, it totes seems his MO to splinter the shards once the holder is dead, but maybe this one was different for some reason? Or perhaps this was the first, and someone DID take up the Shard afterwards, so Odium realized he'd have to splinter from now on. zomg.

I feel like Odium's splintering MO would have been a thing from the start. The whole reason he started killing the Shard holders was so that he would, eventually, be the strongest being in the Cosmere [source]. I will concede, though, that the source Coppermind uses is the WoK Letter in the Ch. 22 epigraph, and is simply conjecture on Hoid's part. It is of note, though, that Hoid does not mention Rayse Splintering the shards after learning his lesson from [insert Shardholder name here]. In addition, we have seen numerous evidence to that fact that Rayse is quite intelligent and cunning, which leads me to believe he'd be Splintering from the get go as a "just in case people can pick up shards like we did" type of situation, and that's assuming he didn't know whether a Shard could be picked up again or not.

Well, since there are only 16 Shards, and Shards are a. a brand new phenomenon and b. functionally omnipotent, it's not totally out of the ballpark that he'd be less than expert at killing something nigh-unkillable the first time he killed it. Mistakes and poor decisions could have been made.

That said, I'm simply spitballing. Maybe he tried to splinter it, but failed? Maybe the Intent of that Shard made it harder to Splinter? Maybe someone or something opposed him and he was unable to finish the job?

Or, of course, he did actually kill AND Splinter the Shard.

Man. Odium killed at least a quarter of God. This is starting to get serious.

So I finally got around to transcribing my questions. Here they are!

Q: Can you tell me how long it was from the shattering of Adonalsium to the prelude of the Way of Kings when the Heralds abandoned the Oathpact?

A: Current timeline, which I have NOT canonized, is around 6,000 years… I have not finished with my outline document yet.

Q: Cuz I’ve looked at the current chronology and it’s very, very spotty…

A: Yes it is… the real trick is…making sure that I fit in, for instance, White Sands and things with the proper amount ... because I haven’t released that book series yet, I have to make sure while we’re doing the graphic novel, that it fits the chronology, which is why I can’t quite canonize things yet.

Q: That one takes place before Way of Kings doesn’t it?

A: Yes

Q: Cuz I know one of the Worldhoppers from there shows up in Way of Kings…

A: Yeah, White Sands is one of the very earliest.

Q: I’ve picked up in bits in pieces that it’s possible, for some people at least, to use the Shardpools to Worldhop…

A: Yes

Q: Can non-invested people do that, or do you have to have some form of investiture?

A: (Hesitantly) Every individual is invested to some extent…

Q: Do you have to have any special investiture above and beyond the normal spark of life?

A: I’m gonna go ahead and RAFO that.

Q: Can you write in one of my books about something we don’t know about the Shards, or at least one of the Shards?

A: Writes “Odium has killed at least one more Shard than the ones we know about.”

P.S. Brandon said to tell the 17th Shard “Hello!”

I dont know if I havent come across it, and couldnt find it in a search(still a novice with that bugger), but...

Do we know why Odium isnt trying to absord the other shards, instead of just splintering them; i.e. Sazed.  Is it due to the nature of his Hatred?

Do we know why Odium isnt trying to absord the other shards, instead of just splintering them; i.e. Sazed.  Is it due to the nature of his Hatred?

Here you go:

Autarchk (March 2013)

If I can ask a question, I just read the Mistborn trilogy and, were Preservation and Ruin two different shards or a single one with their power split somehow? If they were two shards, does that mean a single person can hold more than one, since Harmony apparently holds both now?

Brandon Sanderson

They were two shards.

Yes, one entity can hold more than one. Remember that holding a shard changes you, over time. Rayse knows this, and prefers to leave behind destroyed rivals as opposed to taking their power and potentially being overwhelmed by it.

(source)

There's plenty of other WoBs that confirm this. Rayse wants to be the strongest one left in the Cosmere, but he doesn't want to change himself and be influenced by the Intent other Shards. He could take up other Shards if he wanted to, but he doesn't.

Which is fair. I mean, taking up a Shard is basically committing suicide in some regards. I'd basically never take one if I had the chance.

Edited by Ookla the Infinite

Sorry guys. My smart phone isn't smart enough to quote other posts. Anyway, the bit about Odium wasn't quite verbatim, as I was on a break at work when i posted. Verbatim, Brandon wrote "Odium has killed at least one Shard you don't know about." Hope that doesn't mess up anyone's theories. Make it a quick coffee break people. :)