Elantris sequels

Chaos

My family (myself included) all like Elantris best of all his works. Mostly because of the characters. The characters of Elantris speak to me stronger than any of Brandon's characters. I know what it feels like to try and do my best in a bad situation. I know how it feels like to have my faith questioned. I feel like I can relate the most to the Elantrian characters.

I love Elantris too Zas. Some may call Raoden two-dimensional (I disagree incidentally) but I find something inherently appealing about a good man thrown into terrible circumstances that thrives regardless. It's a hopeful tale.

A book that takes place ten years after the events of ELANTRIS. It would occur in the capitol city of Fjorden, and would star Kiin's children as viewpoint characters along with a Seon viewpoint character. The plot of the book: Wyrn has declared that Jaddeth, the Derethi God, is going to finally return. (A new interpretation of the scriptures says that he'll return when everyone east of the mountains converts, so they don't have to worry about Teod and Arelon.) Kiin's family, ambassadors to the Fjordell state, has to deal with the chaos of this announcement, and investigate the truth behind the Dakhor magic.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this is a huge deal! Is Jaddeth returning or is it all a fabrication of Wyrm and the Skaze? What does it even mean if Wyrm is returning? Is a Shard coming back together? (Unlikely but awesome!) I am super excited to see someone as intelligent as Aiden study Dakhor. Maybe we'll be able to peer through the monks's mysticism.

How many monks of bone do you think are at any one time? I think only one escaped Elantris, and the whole production of making monks seem to kill alot of the potential members.

The head of the monastery hated the elantris people, so it seems as the head of the order he could have ordered most of the monks and the most powerful. Also the most powerful of abilities requires multiple sacrifices.

We know there are now hundreds capable of drawing aons, so they potentially have an advantage. Enough to push the empire from the south, back into the mountains.

One thing to note- Not all of the Dakhor powers require human sacrifices. Just some of them. I didn't realize this myself until recently.

I actually didn't plan to use the 'teleportation' aspect of the Dakhor magic. However, I wrote myself into this chapter, then suddenly realized that I needed to get the group Teod in a real hurry. I couldn't let days pass while Sarene, Hrathen, and Dilaf sailed to the peninsula as I'd originally intended. (I have no idea what I was thinking.) So, I added in teleportation. It ended up working out very well in the book, as it let me add another dimension to the Dakhor magic—that of having it cost a life to create some of its effects.

Source

And sure, they can push Fjordish people across the mountains- but what about Derethi? How do you push a religion that thousands believe in to the mountains?

• 5 weeks later...

A book that takes place ten years after the events of ELANTRIS. It would occur in the capitol city of Fjorden, and would star Kiin's children as viewpoint characters along with a Seon viewpoint character. The plot of the book: Wyrn has declared that Jaddeth, the Derethi God, is going to finally return. (A new interpretation of the scriptures says that he'll return when everyone east of the mountains converts, so they don't have to worry about Teod and Arelon.) Kiin's family, ambassadors to the Fjordell state, has to deal with the chaos of this announcement, and investigate the truth behind the Dakhor magic.

Ahah! Finally, something to work with. I've always wondered, myself, if there wasn't a kernel of truth to the idea that Jaddeth was trapped in the Earth and could be freed somehow. Given that we know that the Shards on Sel have been splintered, it probably isn't a perfect translation of the truth, but it probably contains truth. The Shards are undoubtedly still influencing the world, even splintered.

• 5 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic