Elantris sequels

Chaos

If you're not in the know, here's the deal: not only will there be an Elantris sequel, there's going to be two of them!

From Brandon's blog:

Elantris Two (Planned to be written after Stormlight Three.)

Some notes here. Elantris has three books in the series, but they are loose sequels of each other. This means that side characters in one become main characters in the next. So while you'll see Raoden and Sarene in the second book, they won't be main characters. (Kiin's children will be.) Warbreaker is two books. Mistborn is a trilogy of trilogies, with the second trilogy in an urban (20th-century-level technology) setting. For Stormlight, I'm planning a pattern of two every three years, with a different epic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I've split the posts talking about Stormlight Archive into their own thread, which can be found here. In the future, please try to keep discussions about specific books in their respective forums. Thanks!

As for the Elantris sequels, this is really exciting! I'm particularly looking forward to more information on Skai's side of things.

I'm wondering if we'll get to see something of why or how people from Sel happened to travel to Roshar in either of these sequels. ;) Of course it's possible that the drivers of that event occur much later than any of the Elantris books.

I guess it depends on how much later, and whether or not the planet-hoppers can hop through time as well, since we know Elantris takes place sooner on the timeline than Stormlight Archive. Does anyone remember if we have any quotes on what the time delay actually is?

I remember that as well, Zas.

So between Mistborn and Alloy there was 341 years, and Elantris occurred before Mistborn. So that would probably be another 300 years or so, I think. Even excluding the jump from Warbreaker/Alloy to Way of Kings, there's 600 years of time.

I think so. I think they're about Returned level of immortality. In other words, you have to really be trying to kill them to kill them.

Remember how Dilaf says that the Skaze are right about being able to kill the Elantrians? I think that means that Elantrians usually don't die.

I think so. I think they're about Returned level of immortality. In other words, you have to really be trying to kill them to kill them.

Remember how Dilaf says that the Skaze are right about being able to kill the Elantrians? I think that means that Elantrians usually don't die.

I'm not so sure. Didn't Galloden's father die of a heart attack?

Which he could have prevented or even survived, had he chosen to. He chose to die

True. This still suggests a certain physical weakness that the Returned do not have. It also suggests that their bodies are affected by aging on a time scale comparable to a normal human. I'm certain they live a long time, and can live even longer if they choose, but they still seem more vulnerable than Returned, or Hoid, or even the Heralds.

• 2 months later...

Did those that use the shard pool really die, or simply used it to travel else where?

There will be an effort to study the aon dar and experimenting, while they now know there is a threat so will prepare for it. Chayshan will be spread every where. Will they hold the southern pass against the empire.

• 6 months later...

Bwaha! After being pressed for the quote about Elantris 2, I found it!

A book that takes place ten years after the events of ELANTRIS. It would occur in the capitol city of Fjorden, and would star Kiin's children as viewpoint characters along with a Seon viewpoint character. The plot of the book: Wyrn has declared that Jaddeth, the Derethi God, is going to finally return. (A new interpretation of the scriptures says that he'll return when everyone east of the mountains converts, so they don't have to worry about Teod and Arelon.) Kiin's family, ambassadors to the Fjordell state, has to deal with the chaos of this announcement, and investigate the truth behind the Dakhor magic.

Original

Database

The Seon, by the way, is (likely) Hrathen's old Seon, who has been given to Aiden (the formerly autistic Elantrian).

I think most people agree that Elantris is the weakest of Brandon's books, but it was also his first published book and he's improved as a writer since then, so I imagine that the sequels will be improved.

You gotta get things in proportion here. Even if Elantris is the least good of Brandon's books (which I disagree with, WoK was my least favorite), it is still a freakishly awesome book, and I'm sure any sequel could only be better!