The Pack of the Cosmere

"... Okay, I can't tell if you're joking and trying to be threatening, or if you're sincere and ignorant."

Maybe- no, definitely- a change in tone. Twilight stopped slowly backing away to instead straighten her glasses.

"I mean, if it's the first, you're doing really, really well, but if it's the second... I mean, ignoring the whole problem of being a pony, I don't know if I'm exactly comfortable with the idea of joining a pack of wolves who eat-urge- meat. And there's the whole 'I'm s pony' thing."

...Buuuuut, having Science!Twilight join would give me an excuse to keep role playing here until I get my "real" RP-Me done, and set up a wolf name so she doesn't get confused with the member Twilyght.

...which reminds me to add, rudeness? Is me playing this Twilight character. I did say her social skills weren't the best, right?

Edited by Quiver

""What can I say? Natural instinct." Moonlight got up and shook some ash out of his white coat.

"Anyways, you wouldn't have to stay a pony, I mean if you join. I wasn't even a wolf to begin with." To demonstrate, Moonlight transformed into a dragon. Brilliant silver scales flickered in the light of the setting sun. His huge bulk filled.the.cavern and his voice echoed back to him when he spoke.

"See, our pack has some unique powers. I can't speak for the whole pack, but it would bee cool if you joined. I mean, you would become a wolf instead of a pony."

Edited by TheSilverDragon

"What do you mean you weren't-" Twilight began, her question answered mid-sentance as the wolfs fur sloughed off to reveal dragon scales, and his form swelled to fill the room.

Her jaw dropped, and for a few moments, she didn't say anything.

"...Okay," she finally managed, swallowing. "That...was not something I was expecting. Completely and absolutely impossible, so I'm pretty sure it's a trick rather than magic, but definitely unexpected. Even if it is imperially and scientifically impossible.

I mean, for starts, look at you! You're huge! So -humouring you for a moment- if you transform, where does all that mass go? It can't just disappear, and you clearly don't weigh the same in both forms, since otherwise, as a wolf you'd still have the weight of a dragon, and you'd be putting holes in the floor when you walk!"

I think I showed how little I understand about science lol. Of course, she's wrong- since obviously you guys do transform- but it's the kind of thing that takes convincing.

Edited by Quiver

"Oh." The explanation seemed to mollify the pony a little. "I see. I have no idea what 'Epic-ness' is, but I guess this confirms one of my suspicions: Hemalurgy isn't real magic. Real magic- like unicorn magic-" her horn shone, as if to punctuate the point, "comes from within. My magic didn't just happen, I was born with it. It obeys laws of physics. I don't know how Hemalurgy works- or 'epic ness' for that matter- but it seems safe to say it's not really magic."

"Stabbing? I thought it involved cookies- wait, you create pack members by stabbing them?"

The pony looked conflicted, her face contorting somewhere between professional curiosity, and outrage.

"I suppose that makes some form of sense," she continued. "If you stabbed a wolf, then stabbed someone else, it might transfer some of the formers identity; that would explain why a 'dragon' described wolf thoughts as natural instict. It sounds fascinating...does it hurt? Are there any prolonged or lasting side effects?

Oh, and where's this 'Calamity' person," she added, taking out her notebook and pen. "I might need to pay them a visit too. Between Epic-ness and Hemalurgy, I should be busy for quite a while... This is so exciting!"

This time, Twilight was ready for it... or at least, she thought she was, at least. Even so, she couldn't help staring as Winter shifted.

"Wow. You know, it's actually more believable watching it happen thus way," she said, tilting her head. She looked as if she were taking measurements or capturing details.

"I mean, turning a wolf into a dragon could just be a case of illusion magic crumbling, but you turned from a bipedall monkey into a four legged wolf! That's incredible...and not to mention completely impossible under current magic theory. You know what that means?"

Her grin spread ear to ear.

"I get to literally rewrite the book on it! This is going to be so amazing...does it hurt? What's it like being a wolf? Do you feel any different? Should I be treating you any different? I have so many questions!"

Edited by Quiver

"Wolf instincts- oh my Celestia! You have no idea how amazing those two words alone are! Wolves can't talk back home, so this...this would open up whole new fields! Researchers could transform into animals, study them in their natural habitats, and not have to worry about disrupting the environment! And then when they'd turn back, they'd have actual first-hand experience of what it was like! I heard about a vet in Ponyville who could talk to animals, but this is far, far beyond that!"

She was practically bouncing up and down at this point.

"And rewrite. Neural Pathways? I don't even know what means! You have no idea how exciting that is! I mean, assuming this isn't all just a trick or something, but then, there is a pretty easy way to verify what you're telling me:

Can you turn me into a wolf? Only for a little while, obviously, so I can collect some data on the subject."

And I've started thinking of the other mane six from Science!Twilights world. Veterinary!Fluttershy is one of them lol.

Edited by Quiver

"Wolf instincts- oh my Celestia! You have no idea how amazing those two words alone are! Wolves can't talk back home, so this...this would open up whole new fields! Researchers could transform into animals, study them in their natural habitats, and not have to worry about disrupting the environment! And then when they'd turn back, they'd have actual first-hand experience of what it was like! I heard about a vet in Ponyville who could talk to animals, but this is far, far beyond that!"

She was practically bouncing up and down at this point.

"And rewrite. Neural Pathways? I don't even know what means! You have no idea how exciting that is! I mean, assuming this isn't all just a trick or something, but then, there is a pretty easy way to verify what you're telling me:

Can you turn me into a wolf? Only for a little while, obviously, so I can collect some data on the subject."

And I've started thinking of the other mane six from Science!Twilights world. Veterinary!Fluttershy is one of them lol.

twilight_sparkle_wolf_adoptable_by_panda

So this has a good shot at happening?

I guess it does! :D

"It could happen, if you want. Neural pathways are how you move your body. I bet if I gifted a child the ability to transform they would adapt easier, because they haven't entirely built their main neural pathways either. Just another set of muscles to practice with." 

"Uh...maybe we should keep that part to ourselves," Twilight said, grimacing. "I don't know how human foals work, but pony colts and fillies are destructive enough without having another body to play in."

For some reason, an image crossed Twilights mind; three ponies in Cape, squealing "Cutie a ark Crusader Shapeshifters!" She shook her head. Multiversal backwash; it happened sometimes. Presumably one of the other Twilights would be having a similar experience right about now.

"But sure. From what you're telling- and how you're acting- the worst that will happen is some minor pain, which is definitely going to be worth it if this really does turn me into a wolf, and doesn't just make me think I'm a wolf. Can you do other things too? Not that I'm suggesting it; it would be best to repeat the experiment under normal circumstances before trying something more complicated, but I'm curious. So...what do I have to do exactly?"

Her pen scribbled furiously to keep up with the mares train of thought, but she just grinned. Wolfishly?

No. Strike that off. That line was not going in the memiors as what she thought when she was on the cusp of the greatest magic-science breakthrough since Starswirl the Bearded.

Edited by Quiver

"Wow, slow down." The dragon said. "Do you have another speed other than rapid-fire? I feel like my head is about to explode from all the questions." The dragon shook his head. "Do all ponies talk this fast? If so, I'll probably stay away from what ever world you come from." The Silver Dragon sat down and curled his tail around himself. 

"Can you do other things?" The dragon asked Winter. "I'm pretty new here so I have no idea?"

Just a question, Can I bring in twin wolf pups? Smoke that Drifted in the Night and Sunbeam that danced in the Wind.

"What? Oh, uh..right." The lavender pony smiled nervously, her cheeks turning roses.

"Sorry," she added, siting down. "It's just...well, this is so exciting. It could change everything that annoy knows about magic and how it functions, and that's not even mentioning the other benefits to it, and I'm rambling again. Sorry. Intellectual curiosity. I'm not used to other ponies- er, or people- being around when I'm working so I tend to ramble."

Edited by Quiver

Winter muttered some words. They weren't necessary. For some reason, the power to gift her Helmuargically granted power, had came from Calamity moments after escaping. But Winter wouldn't think about then. It was a bad time, figuring everything out. Winter wondered if it was the same for other gifters. All of the accounts she had read said that the power was diluted. But it wasn't, not for Winter. Maybe it was a side affect of Investure mixing with Epic abilities. "There. You can shift now. By the way, is this for science or are you joining?"

"Are humans really so focused on who is in their own groups," Twilight asked, tilting her head to the side. "I swear, I put a request for information about cookies with their manufacturers, and they wouldn't give anything unless I agreed to join them as well!" She shook her head. "I don't know about joining, but I've certainly heard enough about 'the magic of friendship' from Princess-Me to know that I'm not going to dismiss you out of hoof."

As she spoke, she waited for...something. Some warmth, or burst of energy, or blinding flash- even a tinkling of music!- to tell her that whatever Winter was doing was finished. Even after Winter said she could shift, the pony didn't feel any different.

"

Okay..." she said sceptically, raising an eyebrow before closing her eyes. How was this supposed to work, exactly? Did she just focus on becoming a wolf-

An odd feeling rushed through Twilight Sparkle, like her bones were shrinking. She opened her eyes, just in time to see her muzzle stretch out in front of her, and hair sprout from it. Grey hair a, she thought, until she realised with a shock that the rest of the cave had been rendered in various tones of grey as well. She yelped, a sound that sounded closer to a bark than a cry, as her lab coat-fitted for a taller pony- fell around her four feet...and they were feet, rather than hooves.

A second later, a small, grey and purple wolf, with an odd, starburst design on her flanks coat, was staring at her toes as if she had never seen them before.

"...Okay," she said after a moment. "I'll admit that this is significantly stranger than I thought it would be."

She looked up at Winter, resisting a strange urge to flinch or sit before her, an urge that some part of her mind took and added the word 'Alpha' to. Instead she tried coughing, and to look unconcerned.

"...Why do I suddenly feel like a Twilight Sparkle is a bad name for me?" she asked, pausing before adding, "and that venison sounds great right about now?"

Yeah, it's for roleplaying/writing purposes, but if you want to count Twilight as part of the pack, I don't mind.

Edited by Quiver

Winter smiled. "That's the wolf." Winter shifted. "If you want I can show you how to hunt. If you're opposed to the idea, being a pony and all, then that's fine. But it's perfectly natural. I've been wolf for years. Also, if you can tell the enhanced senses, that's natural too. If you wish to take a wolf name, that's fine. My name was always Winter, I just added more on the end when I... I became the wolf for the first time." Winter flinched visibly. Bad memories. Bad, bad memories. Memories that Winter would have just as gladly forgotten. The first time shifting hadn't hurt as much as the spike had, but it had hurt a lot. I'm not as weak as I was back then! Winter snarled to herself.

No. You definitely aren't. 

Shut up.

Nah.

I'm ignoring you.

No you aren't.

Winter just ignored the voice. "Any other questions?"

Yes! Hunt!

The strength of the impulse almost floored Twilight, part from disgust...and part from need. The idea of wanting to eat venison was shocking enough, but how tantalising the idea of running over fields was, of taking down something, of ripping her teeth into their-

"Let's...let's table hunting for now, shall we," she said instead, trying to keep her voice even. Instead, she focused on what else Winter said. She almost hadn't noticed the stronger senses; it was a little less overpowering than she had expected it to be, and more...comfortable.

"...I think I would like a wolf name," she finally said. "How about... Star that Shines between Sun and Moon?" Of course, "between Sun and Moon" meant Twilight, but still....

"...Actually, there is one thing. What's an Alpha? For some reason, I keep thinking that when I look at you."

Edited by Quiver