winter devotion

The Pack of the Cosmere

300 posts in this topic

"Screwloose, a minor Epic, you'll excuse me if I don't bow and scrape. My power is matter reassembly. I can instantly recreate any mechanical object so long as I understand its construction and have the materials at hand."

"Nice to meet you. And what sort of side effects do you mean?"

"The usual, Megalomania and lack of empathy, standard Epic fare. Of course I'm logical enough to prevent myself doing anything that would end badly for me, but it makes it impossible to actually design anything new whilst I'm in that state."

"Annoying, I guess." Winter shrugged. "At least the spikes have a smaller effect, just spread out over time."

Blue seems like the out-of-character color of choice around here, so... I'll add this just in case.

So, question; is this one of the guilds were we're supposed to RP "in character"? It's been a while since I played the Knave, so I might just buckle to peer pressure and create a Pony OC...but thought I should ask before doing one way or the other.

Quiver: Yes, it is.
Screwloose: I finally remembered to update the member list.

A low hum filled the air, followed a second later by a small pop, and a flash of purple light, light which faded to reveal a... horse wearing a lab coat?

Wait. No; not a horse. The proportions were too small, too... cartoonish. Not to mention the horn growing out of her forehead.

The unicorn blinked once, then again, straightening her glasses.

"Oh dear," she said, suddenly seeming to realise where she was. "I overshot the front door, didn't I? Sorry about that, I really didn't mean to get off on the wrong hoof, uh... paw? Wait, can I start over?"

She coughed, taking a deep intake of breath.

"Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle. I understand you have some spikes?" 

Eh, still working on my Quiver OC so... Herd Representative Doctor Twilight Sparkle! Hope you don't mind.

Winter chuckled, amused. "Welcome. The only spikes I have are driven into my body, though."

"Really?"

Despite Winter's reaction, Twilight seemed more excited than before, her eyes almost literally...well, sparkling. A purple glow surrounded her horn, and one of the pens in her front pocket began to levitate in front of a notepad.

"That's incredible! I was just hoping for a few more sample, to verify my finding on the Dark Alley cookies before trying them on ponies subjects, but to have an actual, breathing test subject? Wow! Do you mind if I study you? You know, for science?"

"Yes, actually I do mind." Winter sighed. "I've been studied enough..." Winter's voice trailed off, bad memories coming back to haunt her. 

Twilight's smile faded, the light in her eyes replaced by a frown.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice losing most of the previous enthusiasm. "I didn't mean to offend you- I was getting a little ahead of myself, miss... uh... sorry, what was your name? I didn't quite catch that."

"I didn't throw it." Winter felt slightly dizy, old memories threatening to overwhelm her. "I... I need a moment."

"A headache? Maybe there's something I can do to help. Magic does come in handy, after all."

"No, please." Winter sat down, wincing.

Winter stood on the street, holding a map.

"Here?" She muttered. "There isn't anything here." A person stepped out of the empty alley in front of Winter.

"You sure about that?" Winter looked up, surprised.

"Who are you?" Winter asked, nervous. She had taken a deal with a bakery, but here? There was only an empty street. 

"The bakery's this way." He smiled. Winter hesitated. A feeling encouraged her to trust him. Winter wondered briefly if he was an Epic that could play with people's emotions. Winter had dealings with Epics before. Nah. Winter felt her distrust leaving.

"Okay." Winter smiled. He lead her deeper into the alley. Winter was nervous. Did she really want cookies this much? Suddenly all of her emotions felt squashed. Winter kept following. Any nerves were soothed away. Why had she questioned him, anyway? Winter was hollow, except for a raging curiosity and desire for cookies.

Suddenly a group of four people dropped into the alley behind Winter. Winter's emotions returned, suddenly. She screamed, but they ran at her.

"I didn't sign up for this!" She yelled, running deeper into the alley. They followed her. They laughed. Winter's foot hit a rock and tripped. Winter landed awkwardly. She scrambled to her feet, but they surrounded her. One of them hit her in the head, fast. Way faster than anything Winter had expected. She felt warm blood dripping down her head, just moments before the blackness came for her. And when it came for her, Winter did nothing. She couldn't do anything. 

"Probably a good idea," Twilight muttered, speaking to herself. "I don't quite have this thing under control yet, and I really don't want to tell the other Twilights I made a girl's head explode."

Louder, she added, "How about a glass of water then? Or...milk? You guys do seem to be kind of crazy about cookies, and milk goes great with those, right, haha?"

And, irrelevant side note, on the canon I'm using!

So, Twilight is a little OOC, because I haven't decided how to "play" the pony faction. Rather than sorting this stuff out, I'm using the mirror for Equestria Girls as a cover. According to the comics, the mirror can go to other worlds too...and Twilight Sparkle strikes me as the sort who would totally set up a conference call of parallel versions of her. So...this is Science!Twilight, in case I want to use princess!Twilight later.

(Same way I used to switch between Princess!Celestia and Tyrant!Celestia for comedy.)

(Also, figure traumatising Winter with milk will get more of those awesomely creepy posts. And because I'm kind of a chill lol)

Edited by Quiver

Winter opened her eyes again. She wanted to shift into wolf form. She wanted to run and hide and scream. Winter wouldn't do those things, though. "No. I'm fine." Winter growled, getting up. 

You know you aren't, said the voice in Winter's head. 

I am. Winter retorted. Get out of my life. Winter headed deeper into the cave, her night vision adjusting accordingly. 

You haven't forgotten It. Winter felt an urge to snarl at the voice, even though it was all in her head.

I can't forget it. It's burned into my head. Shut up. Winter sat down on a rock in the darkness. 

I didn't mean that. 

Winter sighed. Than what do you mean? The voices of insanity are surprisingly cryptic. A rough laugh came from somewhere inside.

I'm not your hallucination. 

Winter looked around. Than what are you?

Take a guess. A real guess.

An idiot.

That hurts, Cold Puff, it really does.

Cold Puff?

See? Winter is cold. Clouds are puffy.

I told you that you were an idiot.

Yes, I believe I can recall that.

Are you an Epic?

Nah, Cold Puff.

Then what are you?

I thought I told you this was a guessing game. It's not guessing if I tell you the answer, is it?

Yeah. Winter growled. am insane.

Yes, you are. That doesn't mean that I'm a figment of your imagination, however.

Well, what in Ruin's name are you?

Yes.

What's that supposed to mean?

What I said, Cold Puff.

Yes?

Figure it out. You have two spikes, remember?

Oh. Get out of my life, Ruin!

That's no way to speak to a new acquaintance. Besides, I'm not only Ruin. Your new friend out there could tell you who I am.

She's not my friend, she just popped by.

Are those cookies I smell, Cold Puff?

Winter snarled and marched right out of the cavern.

"RUIN!" Winter yelled. "MY NAME IS WINTER CLOUD AND YOU ARE GOING TO SHUT UP!"

Yeah. That happened. Ruin=Discord. Deal with it.

Screwloose walked out from a sideroom, examining a clipboard of blueprints. "Ah excellent, you must be the new lab assisant.. Did I ask for a lab assistant? No matter, I could use one"

Looking up from the clipboard Screwloose raises an eybrow at Twilight. "Aaand you've already managed to transform yourself into a pony. We'll have to have a discussion about lab safety, clearly."

Winters shouting could be heard outside. Screwloose looked towards the cavern entrance quizzically. "And it looks like you've managed to set the wolf girl off. Honestly they could've sent me an assistant with some common sense. Better leave her to work it out I guess." And with that Screwloose turned back towards the alcove containing his workshop.

Edited by Screwloose

Twilight flinched at Winter's shouts.

"Okay, I'm sorry for asking!" she answered, looking somewhere between exasperated and worried.

Her head swivelled to look at Screwloose as the doctor arrived, said his piece, and walked away. She stared after him, working her mouth ineffectually, before screaming.

"Is everyone in this cave crazy?!"

"I'm not crazy. And I'm going to the party at the Court, you going too?" Winter asked.

"Uh...let me put it his way. Have you heard of mutliverse theory- the idea that in a realm of infinite possibilities, anything that can happen does happen somewhere? In no reality is there a Twilight who will abandon the siren cry of science for a 'party'."

Also, I never finished Quiver pony, and don't want to unveil it prematurely. So there's that.

Also, Science!Twilight is rightt, but only until comedy necessitates the need for PartyAnimal!Twilight.

Edited by Quiver

Winter smiled. "Bye, then?"

"Actually... Mind if I stay a while?" The pony beamed earnestly.

"That workshop looked pretty interesting, and honestly, a break from everything wouldn't be the worst thing ever."

And it would give a chance to observe a spiked subject in their natural environment, though she wasn't going to admit that part...

Science!Twilight has a backstory!

Like Canon!Twilight, Science!Twilight took the test for Celestias school, the difference being she didn't get a magical surge and hatch Spike, or attract Celestia's attention. She attended school as a normal student, albeit a gifted one, graduated early, and attended College, where she obtained a PhD. In what exactly I haven't decided- probably Physics or Chemistry- but then, she's the personality type who would learn everything about everything anyway. All that means she's probably "smarter" than Canon!Twilight and has fewer anxieties -though she is prone to the old "test Zi didn't study for" nightmare- but her social and emotional growth is somewhat more...stunted.

Edited by Quiver

"Did you bring any treats?" The white wolf growled from the cornner of the cave, where he sat watching the whole excange

"If you did, then I guss I could let a pony stay"

Edited by TheSilverDragon

"Uh...actually, no," the unicorn admitted. She hadn't brought saddlebags, let alone anything else to eat-

A thought suddenly occurred.

"Um...though... what exactly would be a treat for a wolf," she asked, trying to keep even.

"Well, some venison would be nice." The wolf growled, licking his chops. "That sounds really good right now. I could really go for some right now."

Venison. Meaning deer.

Of course, whether he was picky enough to differentiate between a pony and a deer didn't really matter. The scientist was still trying to wrap her head around the idea of eating something sentient. Yes, it was true; most of the cows, pigs, sheep and other Hooved animals in this dimension didn't seem to exhibit the same sentience as they did back home, but still...

"Uh... You know, I just remembered. I left my particle accelerator running, and I should really go see if it found the Celes-Luna boson yet, so why don't we reschedule a meeting for sometime that's not feeding time- dinner time- so busy? I can uh...show myself out..."

Edited by Quiver