Fate of Breath in Awakened Objects?

Vision

I'm sure I've seen some posts related to this before, but I can't find them for the life of me. So a new topic it is.

If an awakened object gets destroyed, where does the breath go? Is it just lost? 

How 'loyal' are Awakened objects to their original creators? For example, Nightblood has sentience and will attempt to follow its Commands regardless of who holds it. If a little straw man was Commanded to 'fetch keys,' and its creator died, would it lose purpose entirely, continue fetching keys whenever the opportunity arose (which would be hilarious), or immediately take orders from a new master? Lifeless commands can be broken while the creator is still alive, does the same process apply to Awakened objects?

Vasher said that breath stored in an object will remain there unless retrieved by it's original owner, and that he couldn't collect Vivenna's breath from the scarf, even if he killed her, so it couldn't go to a new master unless they were of the Sixth Awakening (the ability to hijack someone else's Awakened Object). However, whether it will become a docile source of Breath which no-one can access, or whether it will continue to 'fetch keys', I do not know.

First, you mean Heightening, not Awakening, I presume.

Second, I believe you mean the Eighth Heightening? You cannot even tell another object is Awakened until the Seventh, and it's the Eighth that allows you to take control.

I thought you were responding to my original post, and was thoroughly confused for a bit. 

Still relevant questions:

If an awakened object gets destroyed, where does the breath go? Is it just lost? 

If, for argument's sake, a little straw man was Commanded to 'fetch keys,' and its creator died, would it lose purpose entirely or continue fetching keys whenever the opportunity arose? Doing this until either 'hijacked' by an 8th Heightener or destroyed, leading back to question 1.

Question one is a subject of some debate, not definitively answered. For example, what exactly constitutes destruction? At what point does destruction occur?

I don't know that Nightblood is a good example, but Shashara died after his creation. He still functions.

Edited by 18th Shard

I can definitely see how the question of 'at which point is an object considered destroyed' would be a topic for debate. Do you have a link to where I could read some thoughts/enter the discussion? I think another way of looking at the question might be "What constitutes an object that can be invested with breath?" What is the smallest physical structure that can be invested? If we knew that, I believe the answer to my original question would follow naturally. 

As for Nightblood, I was thinking specifically type 3 entities.

• Chaos locked this topic