[Wild Speculation] Regalia's weakness

Andrew C

Umm... I don't remember any information about Regalia in Mitosis?  Oh wait.. I think Peter said the Epic files were included in the hardcover of Mistosis, was it just like a page of information with a drawing of Regalia? (you can sort of see it here)  (and were there two other ones? - I'd /really/ like to see them if they're there) 'cause those weren't included in the US ebook.

If anyone is interested the information from the Regalia epic file is on the wiki (and has been for a while, I happened to buy the BAM edition when the book came out).

I was going to suggest Regalia's weakness was the act of being caught on camera, harking back to her past as a live television celebrity. But then I remembered that she first gained her powers while live on her show... impossible if being live on her show would activate her weakness.  -_-

Back to the drawing board. Maybe once we've actually seen her in action this will be easier.

If she renames Manhattan Babylon Restored, then I'd say her weakness is almost certainly something to do with Christianity, if only tangentially or symbolically. Then again, almost all of my Harry Potter fan theories were wrong, so if my streak continues, Regalia's weakness will be lime jello or someone saying Windows is better than Apple. :P

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Well, she slaughtered her folowers shortly after gaining her powers, so it seems likely that she accidentally revealed her weakness to them. Her primary character attribute seems to be judgementalism.

I still maintain my theory that Epic weaknesses have a connection to something embarrassing or otherwise humbling to the Epic. In my experience judgemental people react poorly to reminders of their own mistakes.

My theory: Regalia commited some small crime/sin as a child or teanager and her weakness is some detail related to what she did. For example, if her crime was shoplifting a bar of soap then her weakness would be bar soap.

Maybe she can only be harmed by a group she disliked but never spoke of except to her followers. Steelheart only died because David was the only one alive who saw him bleed and Megan fell in love. So Regalia's weakness will probably come down to Megan, Prof and David finding a follower who knew her well.

I had another thought, since the book is called firefight could Megan have been a follower of Pre-calamity Regalia?

• 3 weeks later...

Um, Firefight was accidentally released early where I live, and I have read it, and could theoretically answer this question. My only problem is that even though this IS a spoiler board, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post story details before the official release.

Edited by Vizier

Um, Firefight was accidentally released early where I live, and I have read it, and could theoretically answer this question. My only problem is that even though this IS a spoiler board, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post story details before the official release.

It would be much appreciated if you did not, since not everyone has access to a copy. We don't want anyone accidentally spoiled. Even though this is a spoiler board, it was put into place to discuss pre-release material.

It would be much appreciated if you did not, since not everyone has access to a copy. We don't want anyone accidentally spoiled. Even though this is a spoiler board, it was put into place to discuss pre-release material.

Fair enough. Probably wasn't going to anyway.

I think we're able to speak a little more openly now that the book has been release? But I'm spoilering this just in case, since this thread started well before the release:

After finishing Firefight just a couple hours ago, I cannot think of an instance where we actually discovered her power-negating weakness. Sure, we saw limitations of her power, but nothing that ever stopped her from using her powers. After finishing out her plan to make Prof her successor, she simply did nothing to stop David killing her. It seems that having only a few weeks to live because of her cancer, she didn't really care about anything else once she saw that she succeeded in corrupting Prof.

If she renames Manhattan Babylon Restored, then I'd say her weakness is almost certainly something to do with Christianity, if only tangentially or symbolically. Then again, almost all of my Harry Potter fan theories were wrong, so if my streak continues, Regalia's weakness will be lime jello or someone saying Windows is better than Apple. :P

If Regalia's weakness is the Bible, then why on earth did she hire Obliteration? :P

OK, so it's never revealed for certain. I'd thought it was going to be something related to symbols of justice.

My best guess is that her weakness was aging, which is actually a somewhat powerful weakness to have. Can only die of old age is an interesting reversal on the normal immortality trope of 'can only die from violence'.

OK, so it's never revealed for certain. I'd thought it was going to be something related to symbols of justice.

My best guess is that her weakness was aging, which is actually a somewhat powerful weakness to have. Can only die of old age is an interesting reversal on the normal immortality trope of 'can only die from violence'.

Except that she did die from violence. David killed her with a sword. She mentions that she thought it stupid that epics do still age, but what was actually killing her was cancer.

Edited by Shadow Guardian

Except that she did die from violence. David killed her with a sword. She mentions that she thought it stupid that epics do still age, but what was actually killing her was cancer.

She had no protection from short range physical violence and was never claimed to have.

'Old Age' is generally a term for any illness associated with the body breaking down over time. I'd include cancer that strikes an elderly person under that umbrella.

Well, Regalia was not a High Epic (as Tia specifically stated in the book), so her weakness didn't matter.  Her powers were not protective or preventative of death, so you could just shoot her and she'd die.  Or, you know, slice her up with a sword.

EDIT: Tia stated it, not Prof.  Also, it depends on whose definition you use as to whether or not she was a "High Epic."  The lorists seem to only call epics "High Epics" if they have what David would call "prime invincibility." Either way, though, the point is if you could just find her body, you could kill her using any method that would kill a non-epic.

Edited by vineyarddawg

• Chaos locked this topic