Orem Library Signing on December 6

Newan

Psst. maybe it would be prudent to move this discussion to its own thread?  This isn't exactly the place for that kind of discussion.

I agree, so I will end it with one last question for Moogle to answer.

I get the impression Brandon is hemming and hawing on the answer there because the type of Investiture matters and not the amount, but that is rampant speculation on my part. I think a Misting trying to use the emerald pools would end up dying, for example, much like Vin had issues with the Well while she had her earring in.

If type of Investiture does matter, do you have thoughts as to why Hoid was able to use the emerald pools? If you are correct, we know he has access to Yolen's pool(s?) and Scadrial's pools, as well as most probably Nalthis's pool, but unless he somehow granted himself access to the Dor, and I don't know what he'd do for Roshar, he should not be able to access Sel's or Roshar's pools. Perhaps the pool one is entering is the only time that matters? That does not explain how he gets off of Sel, though, unless he has another means of hopping.

I agree, so I will end it with one last question for Moogle to answer.

If type of Investiture does matter, do you have thoughts as to why Hoid was able to use the emerald pools? If you are correct, we know he has access to Yolen's pool(s?) and Scadrial's pools, as well as most probably Nalthis's pool, but unless he somehow granted himself access to the Dor, and I don't know what he'd do for Roshar, he should not be able to access Sel's or Roshar's pools. Perhaps the pool one is entering is the only time that matters? That does not explain how he gets off of Sel, though, unless he has another means of hopping.

That may be why he stole the Moon scepter.

Nazh is working for (presumably) the AA author, and thus the 17th Shard.

While I think it's pretty solid within the text that Nazh is working for the AA author, I haven't seen anything that says she (the AA author) works for 17th Shard. Is there WOB for this?

Edited by masaru

Interesting discussion, guys. I must admit that I'm not as excited about the new WoBs we're getting recently as I was about last year's WoBs, but I suppose Brandon might be saving the juicy info for when Stormlight 3 is near.

Brandon said that the mass exodus was only talked about in WoR, not WoK. I'm thinking it's the Parshendi who fled Odium and settled on Roshar.

Possible. Someone else mentioned the scattered remnants of the Amian race, which is also a valid guess. Me, I'm reminded of the Vorin doctrine of "The Expulsion" of humanity from the "Tranquiline Halls", which might be based on an actual event in the Cosmere. But I don't remember if that was mentioned in a WoK interlude.

Edit: It's probably just a typo on your part, Arthur, but Brandon said the exodus was mentioned in WoK, not WoR:

Q: Have we seen mass exodus’s before?

A: Yes, there are some in the cosmere. There’s a mass exodus that is mentioned in one of the interludes in Way of Kings.

Edited by skaa

While I think it's pretty solid within the text that Nazh is working for the AA author, I haven't seen anything that says she (the AA author) works for 17th Shard. Is there WOB for this?

Yup:

WETLANDERNW

In whose voice is the "Ars Arcanum" written? Hoid's?
BRANDON SANDERSON
I've avoided answering that question. It's either Hoid or a member of the 17th Shard. That's as much answer as I'm giving anyone right now.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=632#4

and we know it's not Hoid

QUESTION

The Ars Arcanum, is there an in-cosmere author of that?
BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, it is in cosmere

QUESTION

Because it seems like it'd be written by someone like Hoid.

BRANDON SANDERSON

It's not him. I don't know if I've released who it is; but it's probably not who people are thinking but it is in-world.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1076#13

Edited by lyht

Edit: It's probably just a typo on your part, Arthur, but Brandon said the exodus was mentioned in WoK, not WoR:

Actually, I'm the one that asked that particular question. When I asked he said "It was discussed in Words of Radiance." Zas probably wrote it down wrong.

Edited by Arthur Dent

Actually, I'm the one that asked that particular question. When I asked he said "It was discussed in Words of Radiance." Zas probably wrote it down wrong.

Probably not the Aimians then, they were barely mentioned in the Words of Radiance Interludes.  I get the impression that the humans immigrated from Braize, but I'm not sure if the Parshendi started out on Roshar or not.  Or is the part about it being from the Interludes incorrect as well?  And all the humans and Shards originated on Yolen, right?  Except Scadrians, who were "made" by Preservation and Ruin. (I still don't get how that worked.  Seems like it would have been easier to get the genetic diversity for a breeding population by modifying Yolen humans instead of making them all from scratch.)

Brandon said that the mass exodus was only talked about in WoR, not WoK. I'm thinking it's the Parshendi who fled Odium and settled on Roshar.

Amusingly enough, I misread Zas's (mis-, at it turns out) transcription and thought he said Brandon said WoR. The Iriali Long Trail is mentioned in an interlude of WoR, with the cobbler who Nale goes all Nale on; and we know it's "related to the cosmere", with the various Lands being "in the cosmere".

Edited by Kurkistan

Zas678: Can Odium influence people the same way that Ruin can?

Brandon: (misunderstanding my question as a question about kandra/koloss/parhsendi) Well, you see, the kandra and the koloss have a “hole” in them that allows Ruin to come in and take over. The Parshendi naturally are protected from this, but when they expose themselves to the storms, and the spren come in, many of these spren have that kind of “hole” in them, and that’s what allows Odium to take control of them.

Zas678: No, I’m talking about how Ruin was able to push people, place things in their minds, stuff like that. Can Odium do the same thing?

[...]

So what happens when Shards die?

...We also see this on Threnity.

First... I'm a little confused. Isn't the second thing you're describing how Ruin can affect those with hemalurgic spikes, i.e. koloss and kandra? He cannot speak to just anybody, he cannot influence just anybody. You must be insane, or your must have a spike, yes?

Second, am I the only one who finds this interesting? I thought that Threnody was a place that has never had a Shard, but now this seems to imply that there was a Shard, which died. I wonder if this supports my personal theory that when Adonalsium was whole, he ruled all the planets, even Threnody, and that the Evil coming was actually not a bad thing coming, but the loss of Adonalsium when he shattered. Is this supported by the fact that "We also see this on Threnody" is the answer to "What happens when Shards die?"?

Probably not the Aimians then, they were barely mentioned in the Words of Radiance Interludes.  I get the impression that the humans immigrated from Braize, but I'm not sure if the Parshendi started out on Roshar or not.  Or is the part about it being from the Interludes incorrect as well?  And all the humans and Shards originated on Yolen, right?  Except Scadrians, who were "made" by Preservation and Ruin. (I still don't get how that worked.  Seems like it would have been easier to get the genetic diversity for a breeding population by modifying Yolen humans instead of making them all from scratch.)

The interludes are right. It went like this:

Me:

"So, has there been a mass exodus before?"

Sanderson:

"Yes. It's been talked about in the Words of Radiance, actually."

Me:

"I missed that. I'll have to re read it."

Sanderson:

"It's in one of the Interludes, actually."

Me:

"Awesome! Thanks"

I think I paraphrased one of those, but can't figure out which. So is it the Parshendi or the Iriali? It could honestly be either one. Eshoni's mother told her that they just settled in the planes after the last desolation, but what if they were looking for a home to escape their old gods? They wanted to escape the Odium spren so badly that they went to war on the nearest planet they could find to escape them. It was an act of desperation.

Or, it could be the Iriali. The reference to the long path sort of reminds me of the Way of Kings book itself where the king walked a long path to one end of his kingdom to the other. Maybe that is just a cultural thing that everyone has to do as a right of passage, or maybe they really did just leave their world in favor of Roshar and called the journey there the long path. I am really at war with this in my head right now and need some more definite answers than "maybe it was this," or "maybe it was that." If anyone can find concrete evidence, that would be awesome.

Excellent, thank you! I knew it wasn't Hoid, but I didn't realize he confirmed it was a 17th Shard member. I'm pretty sure we've figured out the author's identity, but it's nice to know that person is 17th Shard (and by extension Nazh).

Thanks for the correction! I think that makes The Long Trail the most likely candidate for the exodus Brandon was talking about when he said that, for the reason Kurk said above. Of course, that doesn't mean that other races (the Parshendi, other Rosharian humans) didn't have their own mass exodus in the past (though I personally suspect that the Parshendi are native to Roshar).

Edited by skaa

There’s also going to be about a 15 year gap in-world between SA arc 1 and SA arc 2.

I don't know why it just occurred to me but it seems likely that the flashbacks of arc 2 will be events within that 15 year gap. I'm guessing the end of book 5 kicks off a long slog of global fighting brought about by Diagram, etc.

And a different one about the WalDo, the female world hopping kandra-

So is the worldhopping kandra MeLaan?

No it isn’t. But you’ll get to see more kandra in Shadows of Self, so that should give you some more options.

Well, the person who she’s imitating is it a human? (Don’t remember). Is it always a female? No. Has she had any lines on screen? You know, I’m not really sure. She may have, but I’m not sure. (So highly unlikely she’s a main character, and if she’s a minor one, it’s one that’ll have a line or two).

Emphasis added.

Is this correct? It sounds like you are reporting Newan's questions, but you gave a different answer than he said...

Newan:  Is the kandra worldhopper MeLaan?

Brandon:  Good question.  *hands me a RAFO card*  In upcoming Mistborn books, you are going to get to know a lot more of the kandra, so you will have a lot more options.  

Newan:  Ooh.  When the kandra worldhopper is off-world, er off-Scadrial, does she take the form of a human female?  

Brandon:  Not all of the time.  

Newan: Has she spoken a word of dialogue in a non-Mistborn book?  

Brandon:  I can't remember.  

Newan: Ok I have one more question.  Is there some kind of connection between Szeth and Yelig-nar, the Unmade?  

Brandon:  Hmm... Szeth has no more of a connection with Yelig-nar than anyone else does.  

Newan: Thank you so much!

Not really - Newan got a RAFO, zas678 got an outright "no".

That's why I am asking. to rephrase, zas, were there two individuals who asked similar questions about the Kandra Worldhopper? Reading the entirety of zas's post, since he was writing he did not get many answers verbatim, and it seems odd to me that Brandon, at the same signing, would RAFO a question for one person, but give a definitive answer to someone else. 

It's not him. I don't know if I've released who it is; but it's probably not who people are thinking but it is in-world.

If he doesn't remember if he's said who it is, that makes me think it's either Nazh or Khriss.

Khriss is the one working for Nazh, correct?

Also where was the Book 5-6 gap length stated?

If he doesn't remember if he's said who it is, that makes me think it's either Nazh or Khriss.

Khriss is the one working for Nazh, correct?

Also where was the Book 5-6 gap length stated?

Actually we think it's the other way round, Nazh working for Khriss.

And now that I think about it, it's likely that it was a RAFO. It seemed to me to be 

"(garbled up memory from not paying attention). BUT, you'll get to know more kandra in Shadows of Self."

So it seemed to me likely that MeLaan was not the kandra. Or at least that's what I understood. But it's possible that she is, and Brandon's just being tricky.