Another vision. This made three hundred and seventy-four. He'd died in each and every one, as well. Sometimes it took him seconds, and in others it took minutes. And each time, he felt the pain, as though the knife was real, as though the bullet was real, as though the rending claw of the Chasmfiend was real. His hand subconsciously went under his shirt to itch the spike responsible for this, his allomantic electrum spike.

He shook his head to ward away the illness he felt from his most recent death, and picked up the book he had at his side. It was his personal notebook, and it contained all the information he had gathered on the subject of hemalurgy. Of course, he was the test subject in all of these experiments. He scoured his notes for a reason for it, his eyes drifting up at times as voices were raised. Aonar, Sarams, Lucy, Ren- no, not Ren. Not in this vision. Was it a vision? He couldn't tell. Sometimes it became difficult to say what was reality, and what was merely the possibility being laid out before him.

Aonar's jaunt through time wasn't helping either. It was playing tricks on his mind, messing with his allomantic electrum's ability to see the future. Or maybe other aspects of hemalurgy were. He'd been feeling this way for longer than he had been back at this time, after all. His notes indicated that it weakened your mind, made you more susceptible to Ruin. But Ruin was no longer alive. Except, was he now? He didn't know. Either way, it didn't matter.

The one who called himself 'M' didn't seem to like him. That wasn't too surprising. He kept himself to himself mostly, and he had voiced an opinion out of nowhere, as well. "I never said that we should not discuss what to do, only if we want to commit ourselves this early." He shook his head. "If my opinions are not wanted, then I could just not voice them. Though I suppose it's interesting that Hadrian was apparently only half-listening..."

I'm glad that someone is discussing my idea for the roleclaim. My thoughts about that was whether or not it was more beneficial to have these things out in the open or not, considering we can keep an eye on certain players, and gain a lot of information. It could, however, as you say, lead us down the wrong path if there are duplicate roles. As I say, we need to discuss this more before we commit to it.

Also, can people stop replying when I'm trying to reply? Keep having to check things again >>.

Edited by little wilson
here's some electrum for that gold

Quick question about PMs. Do both the sender and the recipient have to approve open communication? For instance, Player A decides to send a PM to Player B. Does Player B have to send a PM to Player A for the conversation to work? This assumes that the Letter Bearer agrees to all of this.

So any core must be greened out in the original post?

The green doesn't have to be in the original post. Meta's retraction for Aonar worked with him leaving the original vote red. He just had to put the name in green somewhere.

I'm glad that someone is discussing my idea for the roleclaim. My thoughts about that was whether or not it was more beneficial to have these things out in the open or not, considering we can keep an eye on certain players, and gain a lot of information. It could, however, as you say, lead us down the wrong path if there are duplicate roles. As I say, we need to discuss this more before we commit to it.

I think that it would make it very likely for us to lose the help of our Researcher. Either Hoid will kill them, or he'll convert them, or we'll think he converted them when he hasn't and we'll lynch them. I can't see that turning out well. And if any Nurses come forward they will be in danger or will end up using their powers just to protect themselves. And we don't want to lynch two of a role if it turns out there actually are two of it.

The most important thing is that Hoid doesn't convert the Letter Bearer.  The ability to read all of our PMs is very powerful.  Always remember that they are not 100% secure.  

I agree with this. It's possible that Hoid would think learning about everyone's communications is worth potentially losing a convert.

Quick question about PMs. Do both the sender and the recipient have to approve open communication? For instance, Player A decides to send a PM to Player B. Does Player B have to send a PM to Player A for the conversation to work? This assumes that the Letter Bearer agrees to all of this.

Player A sends me the orders to start a Conversation with Player C. I ask the LB if this is allowed. LB replies yes, and names a Time. At that Time, I start a PM with Players A and C. So C is never consulted until the PM is up and running.

Edited by The Only Joe

I think revealing roles might be a better idea after Hoid has used up some of his conversions so that we don't lose as many critical roles. There is a balance between losing good roles and having the knowledge of who the Converted are more likely to be. We could hold an official vote for a mass role reveal, and do it if over half of everyone thinks that it is a good idea. However, people with no roles are probably more likely to be targeted by lynches if the assumption that Hoid would claim no power is followed, and that would result in a fair amount of disagreement to the plan.

Maybe, since Hoid can do vote changes, we should all just remove our votes from everyone for the rest of this cycle.

Voting Clarifications:

A person must have at least two votes to be lynched.

Hoid can change no-votes.

If you have multiple votes, the first one that hasn't been retracted Is your vote. (I say this because Meta is technically voting for Lucy right now, though I'm ignoring that for this Cycle)

Wait, if anything, I'd still be voting for Aonar, unless you're saying that my clarification of how the color editor works is being taken as an actual vote... Am I being punished for trying to help people out, Joe? Cause that's not cool...

Kae looked around, wondering if there was anyone here he could get away with spiking. 

What are you doing now?

"Shouldn't you be off doing your Ruiny things?"

I'm vast.

"So? I'm doing as you said, going and hunting for Hoid."

I'm vast.

"You mentioned that." Kae said wryly. 

Yes, I did. What are you going to do?

"Hunt for Hoid." 

What are you going to do?

"Find Hoid. Then Ruin him."

Ruin him? Ruin seemed amused.

"Yes, Ruin him. Are you going to ask me to report in person or are you going to stop being lazy and visit yourself?"

Hoid's here.

"Yes, I believe that's why I am here."

Because that's why I can't come. Ruin was frustrated. I'm not taking control of you just because of Hoid. He'd find out I'm here.

"I'm pretty obvious. You see, there's a thing such as spikes in my eyes."

You regret it?

"No." Kae sat down on a bench. "I spoke out of turn. There is no proof we can convict anyone anyway." 

So? There is a chance!

"Ruin. Stop acting impulsive, what about all of those carefully lain plans about Preservation?"

Preservation is a Shard.

"So are you."

Vote for Araris.

"Why?"

I don't trust him.

"That's the best reason not to vote for him."
I could make you.

"No, I'm not. You said it yourself, Hoid would suspect if you controlled me." 

Fine, fine. Don't vote for him. You have to do this by yourself.

Just as a notice, I am not voting for Araris. I just used him in my RP.

I have an idea on how we could find Hoid in a cycle or two but it needs someone who is willing to die.

Hoid won't know the exact wording for the powerless roles so if we can get everyone to message someone their roles then whoever is unable to provide it word for word is most likely Hoid.  If they do go for a power role then it will be easier to narrow down as we would have a list of duplicate roles that the LB knows and we could lynch the sacrifice player to keep it out of Hoids hands.  It would also give the LB several they could trust and allow them to spread the names out so that Hoid wouldn't be able to narrow down on them too much.

Thoughts?

Hopefully Hoid hasn't already found someone who has claimed vanilla and therefore knows the wording. 

Edited by Alvron

Sorry guys. That's a great plan that could work. But according to the General rules of Sanderson Elimination, You can't use Private PM's from the GM to prove things.

• You can't use anything from the Game Master to prove you are a villager, like showing the GM's Private Messages to other players, nor show Private Messages from other players.

In this case, quoting exact words would count. Also, who says I said the same thing to everyone?

Aonar sat in a tavern in Urteau, waiting for his target to arrive.

The woman walked in, unconcerned with environ she found herself in. She walked with the natural arrogance of a powerful Allomancer, and took a spot at the bar beside Aonar.

“Hello, Wilson. Long-time no see.”

“I have no idea who the heck you are. Other than a Terrisman, of course, judging by the amount of metal on you.”

Rust. Wrong time period. “Ah. Long-time till see, then, I guess.”

Wilson was looking rather confused. Aonar figured it was safer to explain things before bits of metal started trying to embed themselves in his skin. “Look, I know the Shard has contacted you. They’re recruiting, and want to take you to Nalthis to collect information. You’re going there because you want to try and resurrect some previous companions of yours.” Aonar paused to let her absorb some of what he was saying. “I’d like some information myself, in exchange for a word of warning.”

“You’re one of them, then?”  

“Yes and no. Anyways, do we have a deal?”

Wilson thought for a moment, then nodded reluctantly. “What do you want to know?”

“I’d like to know about one of the companions you hope to turn into a Lifeless. A man by the name of Aonar. Was there anything… strange, about the way he died?”

“Umm, yeah. At first we’d thought he was killed by a parting shot from the coinshot we were hunting, but the angle was all wrong. Someone else was there and killed him.” After he left Luthadel. Not a danger, then. “How’d you know?”

“He’s my many greats-granduncle. My namesake.”

“So you’re-”

“Yes.”

“Then why-”

“The past is changing, Wilson. Every day. New facts in my metalminds that don’t match up with my memory.”

“So, if the past is changing, why do you know about it? Shouldn’t your memory change with the record?” Wilson’s confusion had been replaced with intense interest. Aonar could almost see her turning over the implications, looking for a way to exploit this new knowledge.

“Conservation of Causality. Somehow, my existence in my current state is directly related to the changes occurring in the past, so those changes don’t affect me, as they wouldn’t exist without me, if that makes any sense to you. It’s one of the few things we’ve discovered for certain about time travel. The universe will go to any length to prevent paradox, even if the means seem nonsensical.”

“Hmm… I can’t pretend to understand any of this, but what was that warning you wanted to give me?” Liar. She just doesn’t want me to know how well she understands.

“Yes, about that. Your mission on Nalthis. Turn it down. Go, create your Lifeless, see the sights, but don’t infiltrate the Pahn Kahl. It doesn't end well.”

Placing a boxing on the countertop, he silently stood and left Wilson to mull over what she’d been told. He had more important things to do than wait.  

Not much to contribute at the moment, so I'm just RPing for the sake of RPing.

Edited by AonarFaileas

More Q and A!

Q. What are the different roles that the Researcher can Find?

A. Normal Worldhopper, Letter-Bearer, Renegade, Nurse or Hoid. Converts will be their Role in Red.

Q. Did hoid start with a Convert?

A. Nope!

Q. Can Hoid change Votes from previous Cycles?

A. Nope!

Q.  Will Conversions be hinted at in the writeup?

A. Hinted at? No. Blatantly pointed out? Yes.

Q. What actions won't be hinted at in the writeup?

A. Irrelevant Protections, and Researches.

M listened as everyone chattered on, his pen never really leaving the paper unless it was to turn to the next page. 

"Accurate counts seems to put the movement of the crowd, as such," he mumbled to himself as he drew out the following table:

Vron (l) - Aonar
Hadrian (l) - Heron
Lucy (l) - Karlin
Damon (l) - Aili
Heron (l) - M

"The general consensus is to avoid killing, unless the target is Hoid. Considering the probability of finding Hoid so early, I'm inclined to agree; though this tactic could have circulated through the crowd due to us getting too close early on. More information is required. 

"Initial estimates of the groups' experience may have been skewed. There is likely only one Letter-Bearer, due to the difficulties within the need for multiple, considering the minimal number of subjects. New calculations will require additional information before a new paradigm can be created." 

M flipped to a new page and began drawing what looked like doodles, but as they evolved, they seemed to start to develop a pattern. As he did so, he whispered, "So where are you hiding, Hoid? Make no mistake, I have already set in motion ideas and concepts that you cannot stop. In this game you can not win."

M sat, relatively undisturbed, and continued to draw and write his notes while those around him continued to try to say as little as possible. 

Kae sat down. Ruin had been...absent. It was a strange feeling. Where was he? Ruin must be focussing his energies elsewhere. 

"Ruin?" Kae asked, looking around. "Where are you?" The familar presence returned. 

Yes, Kae?

"Aren't you going to nag me about ruining Hoid?" 

I am busy.

"So? That did not stop you before!" 

I am busy. I am not yours to command, I have a promise to keep.

"Fine, fine. You are busy. I was just...used to you."

You should get out of that way.

"What ya talking to?" The bartender asked.

"None of your business." Kae growled, slamming the cup into the bar. It almost shattered the wood. "Get me another drink."

You can't get drunk.

"I'm good at pretending."

"What do you want?" The bartender eyed Kae out of the corner of his eyes. Kae was wearing a hood so that nobody saw his eye spikes. 

"Whatever's the stuff that'll get me drunk the fastest."

"Here." The bartender filled his cup. Kae drunk it fast. There was a scream from the inn next door to the tavern. 

"What was that?" A man sitting next to Kae asked.

"I don't know." Another responded. Kae stood up, taking his cup with him.

"You didn't pay." The bartender told Kae. Kae threw off his hood and grabbed the bartender.

"I don't need to." Kae dragged the bartender out the door. Nobody stopped him, instead they were terrified. The worst they had seen was the Shaod. Here in Arelon, there was no Inquisition. There was nobody with the power to stop Kae. 

That's dangerous.

"Shut up Ruin. You're busy."

"Let me go!" The bartender squeaked. "Whatever you are!"

"Inquisitor." Kae shrugged.

He left Sel with an extra spike.