Cycle one will be posted in One Hour (46 minutes actually). Sign ups are now closed. I am sending out PM's now.

If you missed the Sign up, The Spec Doc is still open for sign ups, and always will be. (Fair warning, it's 16 pages long already)

Moderator's please lock this thread.

Edited by The Only Joe

I’ll again address this to my Old friend, as you seem to have changed Aliases once again. In my last Letter, I pleaded with you to cease intervening, since Rayse was bound away. This is no longer so. He has found a way to escape, and has a plan to end the rest of the shards in one hateful Stroke. As I have sworn an Oath to many other friends, I cannot aid you. But I know you will not be able to do this alone. You’ll have to recruit those who detest you, the members of the Seventeenth Shard. Please Hurry, and don’t let Khriss know what you’re doing. She won’t react well.

Jost Joslin, one time Shardbearer and Soldier, Elsecaller of the Seventeenth Shard, sat uncomfortably as Khriss waved the letter. “It was found in one of our meeting halls! Hoid is back, and this time, he’s trying to corrupt our younger members.” She looked at the letter again, rereading it. “And of course, I was kept out of the loop. Shella! what I wouldn’t give for, well nevermind. I need you to go talk to the newer members, Have them start looking around. This will actually be good for them. If they can find him by themselves, well, hopefully they’ll band together before Hoid causes too much Chaos.”

Jost nodded at this request. Inside though, he didn’t believe it would work. “And what if Hoid gets desperate? fights back?”

“He can’t. He can’t cause violence. Though, some of the Newer ones are fighters. They might. Just be careful. If you find him, Execute him. If he ignores it Again, just contain him somewhere he can’t escape.”

Jost stood up. “Alright. I’ll get him.

The assembled Worldhoppers milled around the meeting house. Most of them were younger members, newly introduced to the Cosmere and Shards, but there were also a few Legends walking amongst the crowd. Like Rengar and Gambles. Experienced Hoppers, who had been through situations just like this in their expanded Life times. Hopefully, they would be up to it again. The Crowd quieted as Jost strode through them. They knew that Hoid was back, but they didn’t know what the response would be.

When Kost reached the Front of the room, he turned, and looked out at the crowd. “Ladies, gentleman, and Other Sentient Beings” He nodded at the Kandra and the Inquisitor. “As you know, Hoid is meddling again. What you don’t know, is that He is in this room somewhere.”

There was a buzz, as people whispered excitedly to each other. “He has decided to corrupt and end us from the inside. He believes that we should intervene. But that is not why we are here. We are here to Observe. Hoid, I speak to you now. The last time we as a group intervened in Politics, Kholinar rioted. 22 people were killed, including 3 of our own. We will not let that happen again.”

“To everyone else, we know around when he took a new face and joined, we have a list of the 14 who joined in that period. Figure out which of them is Hoid. We will be here for them soon.” He stalked out of the room, leaving the doors wide open, and a List behind.

Cycle one has started! It will end, eventually. I won’t actually have Computer access 24 hours from now, So I figured I’d ask you guys when we should end. 4 hours late with a Shorter second Cycle or 24 hours Late?

Player List:

1. (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a Jindo man with a toy Panda.
2. (Alvron)  Second of the Sky, a trapper from the isle of Suluko.
3. (Wrymhero) Heron, a Hemalurgic Scholar
4. (pir2h) Kae, a Steel Inquisitor
5. (Satrams) Sarams, the mercenary
6. (Mailliw73) Aili, a Returned
7. (Metacognition) M, The Death Note Sliver
8.  (Jasnah Damodred) Damon Shan
9. (Araris Valerian) Hadrian Penrod
10. (Ashiok) Ashette Cett, Flamboyant Coinshot
11. (Surgebound Rainspren) Karlin, a Jah Kahved-Purelaker
12. (Newan) NuWin, a Kandra Whitespine
13. (AonarFaileas) Aonar, a chronologically challenged person
14. (Luckat) Lucy, An Awakener

Remember PM’s can only be created by me. Ask me to start one in your main PM, and I'll start one for you.

Edited by Alvron

NuWin crept up to a man who was holding a toy bear.  He placed his long, white claws on the man's chest and put his bony head next to the Jindo man's face.  NuWin had slightly altered the whitespine mouth so that he could speak, but he had decided to keep the double windpipes.  

With two deep voices in unison, NuWin said, "I don't know much about Yolish Lightweavers.  Do you think they can mask their scent?"  Then he breathed in deeply.  He was having fun already!

I'm just voting for Jain because he's the first name on the list, and I don't know what else to do.  Just post, showing that you're here, and I'll change it.  

Also, I vote that you just do the four hour shorter cycle.  

Edited by Newan

M stayed far back from the rest of the crowd, lest they start asking him questions. M had joined the 17th Shard specifically because they hadn't asked him many questions. Once they found out he could world-hop, the only question they asked was, "would you like to join us?" M liked an organization that understood the desires for secrecy. 

That didn't mean that M didn't enjoy learning though. In fact, one of the main reasons he didn't like to be known was likely due to his urge to know so much about everyone else! 

Before Jost had even finished his speech, M was already hard at work, organizing his thoughts and suspicions so that he could begin the work of tracking down Hoid. 

"If this is just being brought to our attention, then Hoid has likely been here longer than they're letting on; thus I suspect that he's had enough time to recruit at least one person to his cause," M mumbled to himself, as he nonchalantly started making diagrams in a notebook (not that notebook!) he had on his lap. "He presumably hasn't had much more time than that. He'll likely be looking for more recruits early, so focus on the mannerisms of those today to match again future behavior."

While he looked like he was staring off into the distance, he was was actually scanning the crowd and yet his writing never even faltered. His gaze lasted possibly a fraction of a second longer on Aonar, but he quickly moved on.

"Initial analysis of the crowd suggests that there are likely two of each of the following archetypes: Letter-Bearers, Nurses, and Renegades, though there may be more of one and less of another. Probability states at least one Researcher. 

"Notes for predictive activity of the archetypes. Renegades will likely be aggressive and look to attack early. Attempts should be made to get them to refrain. They're statistically more likely to attack an innocent at this point in time. Letter-Bearers will likely be hubs of information. They should be protected while they go about their task. Nurses will need to be preemptive. If they can prevent deaths by guessing likely targets for Hoid and his recruits, their utility will be more effective than if they only attempt to stop the bleeding once it has begun.

"Final notes before beginning investigation; if there are alterations to the voting, Researchers will be able to be confident with their results, as only Hoid can affect them and that means that he can not use his ability to hide himself at the same time."

I always prefer more time to less. Today is the day in which we want as many people talking as possible so that we have a better chance of catching them in faulty logic later on. I would rather just have another full 24 hours and not throw off the schedule any. 

Not shortening the Cycle would require this Cycle to be 28 Hours long.

A couple Dozen rule Clarifications.

Q. How Exact is Rollover Time? When will Actions and Votes stop being accepted.

A. 9:00 PST. I just realized this Cycle will have an extra Hour. Oh well.

Q. How do Hoid's Healing and the Nurse's Protection affect the Renegade Kill? And can they be differentiated in the Writeups?

A. They have to target the player the day the Player would die, not the day that Renegade targeted them. And No.

Q. Does the Researcher learn Alignment and Role?
A. Yes. But Conversion happens after Research.

Q. If the Letter Bearer Dies, does that mean no more PM's?

A. Yup.

Q. When will the LB be told that someone wants to start a Conversation? When will the Conversation start?

A. The LB Will be told Instantaneously, and the Conversation will be started when the LB wants me to.

Q. When does Hoid's Seeking take place in the Order of Actions?

A. After The Researcher Seeks

Q. How many Converts can Hoid have? 

A.  3.

Q. Does the LB starting PM's count as an action? Or does he have to choose between that and making the Hoid kill? (If he's converted)

A. That doesn't count. He can do both.

Q. If Hoid attempts a Conversion, but his convert is killed, does that count towards his total?

A. No.

"...intervened in politics, Kholinar rioted. 22 people were killed, including 3 of our own. We will not let that happen again.”

Aonar had meant to leave as soon as he realized that the meeting had no direct import to him, but that remark pulled him up short.

"Hey, hey, whoa now, Jost." Aonar said, looking terribly affronted. "I thought the Riots turned out pretty well. They didn't have a clue that I couldn't be killed by shardblades, and, well.... I'm not exactly sure how Heron survived, but he's apparently not dead. We prevented things from going any further out of hand than they were already, and I'd count that as a success. 

"I've my own problems to deal with though, regardless. I can't help with this endeavour, and I doubt Hoid would want someone who still needs to ensure his own existence before he can do anything else." Without waiting for Jost to respond, Aonar tapped zinc and steel, and left.

Not time for much RP right now, but of course, nothing to draw solid suspicions off of either. (Although, Ash, just letting you know, but I'm pretty sure it's 4AM Wyrm's time, so don't expect him to respond for a while. :P)

Assuming I'm reading your analysis correctly, Meta (too tired to be certain of anything) you're assuming two of each role, at least one Researcher and +1 starting convert for Hoid (and some general strategy notes)? Aside from the the bit about the converts (which might have just been part of the RP [once again, too tired to pick things apart right now]), I'd agree. There might be only one of some of the roles, but there are probably duplicates of at least one or two.

Erm... let's throw a vote on Vron (Second) for a moment. I know he's busy with LG9, but he is usually on right about now.

Edited by AonarFaileas

I was going to rage about how I, yet again, wasn't on Team Evil, but then I remembered that Hoid converts his minions. Yay! There is still hope left for me!  :D 

Alv, would you mind popping in today?

(RP coming)

Edit: Retracted vote. Ninja'd by Aonar.

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Second of the Sky watched as everyone else talked.  Jost had just left and they talked.  A lot of information had been given and they talked.  Apparently this Hoid person was dangerous to them and they talked.  And talked.

If Second Sky had known there would be so much talking he probably wouldn't have joined them.  It was only because Sixth of the Dusk' warning about the Ones from Above that he was here.

Soki gave a quiet chirp, warning Second of someone coming up behind him.  Second didn't need to see who it was, he had trained Soki to use a different chirp for each person in the room.

"Aonar.  Something I can help you with?"  he spoke in a quiet voice barely above a whisper.

"Umm.  Nothing really.  Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter."  Aonar stammered as he tried to cover the surprise of being identified before coming into view.

"My thoughts are my own.  However I did notice that Kae is normally more vocal than this."

Edit: Greened vote.

Edited by Alvron

Karlin sighs and pulls his hood down over his tanned face. remembering the pain those riots has brought him and those he loved, under his sorrow a broken chuckle arose from his lips. He knew the chaos that Hoid could so easily bring, as he had brought a devastating vendetta to a town neighboring Karlin's birthplace. He let the homey pressure of the small but poisoned dagger strapped and sheathed to his thigh sooth him. whilst many members of the seventeenth shard only used overpowered shardblades and other legendary relics Karlin preferred the the more rustic weapons. not to say that this dagger was anything ordinary being coated with a solution cured for thousands of years in at the mountainous edges of Shinovar it could stop a mans heart in moments and even kill a Chasmfiend in seconds.  

He took mental notes of the nervous chatter of the people around him. a buzz of excitement hung in the air as had been brewing since the hunt had been announced.  

Edited by Surgebound Rainspren

Lucy wandered around the gathering, watching people’s reactions and listening in on snippets of conversation. Half the people in the crowd had started pointing fingers of suspicion, seemingly at random. No one had noticed her yet, which was just fine with her. She didn’t particularly like going about drab, but in a group as dangerous as this one, staying in the shadows was a good idea, at least until she knew more.

Most of these people were complete strangers to her. However, she noticed a few familiar faces. Three of them had been with her in the Riots. Although, she had thought Heron and Aonar had died. She hadn’t seen them since, at least. She supposed it wasn’t terribly unlikely that those two had pulled through. She resolved to keep an eye on them, however. It would be just like Hoid to show up as someone long thought dead. And she wanted no part in the trouble he would bring.

I’m going to hold off on voting for now, partly because most of the players who haven’t posted yet haven’t even been on yet, so voting for them seems pointless.

I'm here, so if you want you can vote for me now that I've seen stuff. We really don't know anything, but I'll throw a vote on pirh2 just because he/she? tends to be fairly vocal and erratic.

Edit: Greened vote, although you didn't really say much.

Edited by Araris Valerian

Sorry, woke up rather late and don't have much time to say anything before I head off for the rest of the morning and all afternoon. I'll RP a bit when I get back. Vote-wise, I would flag up Mailliw, but he's having difficulty logging into the site apparently, so... Where is the last of the Sharders? Where is Satrams?

However, I will just put something up for discussion - whether it's best to actually lynch someone or not in this game. Considering there is just one person on the Evil side, we would have to get extraordinarily lucky to get them on the first day, when we have no evidence at all. We are almost guaranteed to kill an innocent. However, I guess that since Hoid can't kill, that also means we won't really have any evidence the next day either... What do other people think?

For that matter, would a mass roleclaim be of use? It would drastically reduce the number of places where Hoid can hide (as he would probably need to hide in the powerless lot, or risk claiming a role someone else already has), and while it does mean he has information about who to go for, we would already be highly wary of the people with roles and the possibility of them being subverted anyway. Again, just putting this up for discussion.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Karlin: Votes are done in red typically. Considering so many people have had difficulties with the color editor (hi, Jain!), here is what I've noticed with this site which should help you and everyone else, going forward. The color editor works off of how/when you highlight something. If you don't mind, I'll use your post as an example. 

If you type: "I'm going to vote for Lucy, totally evil!" and then you highlight "Lucy" and set it for red, it will post as follows: I'm going to vote for Lucy, totally evil!"

Now, let's say that you type it up that way and then decide to highlight everything and change the text color to blue. Here's what you think would happen: "I'm going to vote for Lucy, totally evil!

That isn't what will happen though. What you end up with is exactly what you wound up getting: "I'm going to vote for Lucy, totally evil!"

If you highlight text that you've already changed the color to, it will only recognize the last color change you did to it. 

So if you're you're trying to type out, "I'm going to vote for Lucy, totally evil!" then first change the color of everything to blue and then change the color of the individual text; in this case, "Lucy." 

I'm leaving this as is, so as to show how the color coding works, as far as I've seen it work for me. Hopefully this helps players in the future. Obviously, this isn't my character trying to explain it... or could it? :P

Edited by Metacognition

In my posts, there will be Spoilers for Mistborn: The Well of Accession and Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Kae examined the headquarters. He'd been expecting something a little more...strategic. Not the way Ruin would have done it. He looked around, examining a Forged piece of pottery. 

Hoid? Do you see that meddling Worldhopper? Ruin was excited. Strange, he had not been ever since Hoid messed up his plans for taking over Sel. Of course, that was Odium's fault as well.

Kae shrugged. "Not yet, Ruin." He reached for a vial of metal. 

Search faster. 

"Why don't you?" Kae sometimes wondered why Ruin let him have as much free will as he did. "Look, I'm here now. It's not my fault there was a koloss riot on Scadrial!"

That was supposed to make you go faster, not slower.

"You should keep better control over the koloss!"

I don't have the power I used to.

"Yes, yes. Preservation. Took your body."

Be quiet. Kae shut up. Ever since Hoid had conspired with Preservation, Ruin had been quite rude. Of course, that was his Intent.

"What are you talking to yourself about?" Someone elbowed him.

"Nothing." Kae growled. "Just, talking to myself." Kae nodded his head towards the other Worldhoppers, the sign of respect for one not part of the Steel Inquisition. 

You should be glad that I chose you.

"Well, it's not like Oron got killed by Kelsier during the rebellion."

I thought we decided we were not going to talk about him.

"You can't really forget what happened on Scadrial. Kelsier did kill one of your special ones." 

I have Marsh. That will be a blow to him.

"Admit it, you did not expect Kelsier to kill one of the Inquisitors." 

​It was necessary to lose a tool. The Lord Ruler is dead. We will be able to lead Vin to the Well of Preservation.

"We? I'm catching Hoid. I won't have to deal with her."

That's why you volunteered for this mission?

"Yes."

I told you, Marsh will clean up on Scadrial.

"Yes."

So, what are you worried about?

"Vin! I know Kelsier is dead, but Vin is as powerful as him. Maybe more!"

Scadrial isn't your problem. Hoid is.

"I know."

And Hoid is probably more dangerous then Vin.

"Here, I am not the only one who wants to kill Hoid." Ruin sighed. If Kae didn't know any better, he would suspect that Ruin was rolling his eyes.

Well, I'm here. Sorry I wasn't very active earlier. I was busy. I didn't get on the 17th Shard until just now. Here's an extra long post to make up for it. 

@Wyrm, those are good. points. The only way we could really find Hoid is through seeking or through looking at the daily votes, and since there is only one of him then that could be a struggle. However, once we take down all of the converted, he won't be able to kills us and we should have a pretty solid chance of finding him before we lynch all of ourselves. I think that I'm cool with no lynch today, since we will be twice as likely to get a hit tomorrow and people on our team can use powers and such as well.

Aili remembered some of these people from her brief stint at the Riots on Kholinar. She didn't see anyone else from her homeworld of Nalthis though. Maw had plenty of people from his world, the Allomancers, kandra, and Inquisitors were everywhere. Damon was quiet though. She was sitting in the back, saying nothing. Aili remembered hearing about how Damon had done that in a city of steel to hide her true evilness.

M didn't like how many people were still hiding in the shadows or only wanting it to be known that they were here. The second ones weren't giving him much to work with to establish a personality profile to weigh against later, in case of conversion. That made them unknown factors and he preferred to be that unknown element! At least Aonar was among those that were here, though his responses didn't allay any of M's doubts about him. 

Unfortunately, Heron was right, they weren't likely to find Hoid on the first day. Hoid was far too clever for that, but without the early discussion, they wouldn't ever find him! 

Probably doesn't mean much, but Hadrian Penrod was the first to put a second vote on somebody, even though there were others who hadn't posted or been voted for yet.  

Also, Karlin, why is Lucy evil?

Edited by Newan

The last time we as a group intervened in Politics, Kholinar rioted. 22 people were killed, including 3 of our own. We will not let that happen again.

Satrams remained silent. He was indirectly responsible for those deaths, and yet they still didn't manage to kill Hoid. He had begun to suspect that one of his previous employers was actually Hoid the whole time. He suspected Heron the most; after all, he had seen the man die. However, he agreed with the group's consensus. A lynch today would be very counter-productive. They were much more likely to lynch another innocent instead of their target. He chose to remain silent. After all, there was no telling how Hoid could influence the vote.

While I agree that a lynch isn't a good thing, I'm worried about Hoid changing the vote. He might decide to seek someone in order to get better converts, but he could also choose to kill a player, even if they only have one vote on them. That could be dangerous, especially if an experienced player is on the chopping block. I'm not sure what we can do about this, but it's something to take into consideration.

Lucy jumped at a mention of her name. Someone had noticed her. She supposed she really ought to wear more neutral clothes. Fortunately, his attention didn’t seem to stay on her for long. She resolved to keep an eye on him. The raving from M shook her though. It was a moment before she realized he wasn’t actually saying he wanted her dead. Or did he?

However, I will just put something up for discussion - whether it's best to actually lynch someone or not in this game. Considering there is just one person on the Evil side, we would have to get extraordinarily lucky to get them on the first day, when we have no evidence at all. We are almost guaranteed to kill an innocent. However, I guess that since Hoid can't kill, that also means we won't really have any evidence the next day either... What do other people think?

I agree that a lynch wouldn’t be ideal yet, since it’s so unlikely to kill Hoid at this point, and we’d be more likely to get him or his new convert tomorrow if we wait. That doesn’t mean we should hold back votes and discussion now though. There’s also the question of how we’d stop a lynch. If we try to force a tie, that gives Hoid the power to control the lynch with soothing (which wouldn’t really give us much information since he hasn’t converted anyone yet) and it might put votes on people for no reason which might be relevant in tie breakers in future cycles. And it might not be feasible to get everyone to retract their votes.

For that matter, would a mass roleclaim be of use? It would drastically reduce the number of places where Hoid can hide (as he would probably need to hide in the powerless lot, or risk claiming a role someone else already has), and while it does mean he has information about who to go for, we would already be highly wary of the people with roles and the possibility of them being subverted anyway. Again, just putting this up for discussion.

I don’t think it would be a good idea for everyone to claim their roles publicly. It leaves the Researcher and Letter Bearer wide open for killing or conversion. And I don’t think it really would make it harder for Hoid to hide since if Meta’s analysis of the number of roles is correct, that still leaves half of the group as role-less or Hoid, and I’m not convinced that there’s as many duplicates as he says.

Also, here’s a current (as of 7 posts down) vote tally:
Heron (1): M
Second of the Sky (1): Aonar
Hadrian (1): Heron
Damon (1): Aili

The only player yet to post is Damon, and he’s been on.
Also, three people retracted their votes without posting about it. That makes keeping a running total a little hard, you know.  :P

Edited by luckat

Voting Clarifications:

A person must have at least two votes to be lynched.

Hoid can change no-votes.

If you have multiple votes, the first one that hasn't been retracted Is your vote. (I say this because Meta is technically voting for Lucy right now, though I'm ignoring that for this Cycle)