Book Covers for 'White Sand', and 'The Aether of Night'.

FlatLine

Brandon Sanderson just got back to me with copies of 'White Sand' and 'The Aether of Night'. I quickly got these converted to epub files so that I can enjoy them on my kindle. I decided to make up some book covers for fun, because they don't have any. The one problem is I don't really know what the books are about so I couldn't really tailor the covers to the books, but I gave my best effort. Tell me how they look to you! Also these are just used for fun, not resale or anything. 

For White Sand (also renamed to Dragon Steel once changed to an epub file) I wanted a stark contrast of sand, day and night. I think it works well. 

152ae359-2dff-4b2c-a825-766db3b981fe.jpg

For The Aether of Night, which I don't know much about, i wanted a dark sky. I added a symbol for aether and then put stars that were drawn by Galileo with it. So tell me how I did???

5d4b1a07-1154-4767-a738-caaa8d3fb6d4.jpg

I think they look pretty good, particularly White Sand. Just a quick point of clarification, though: White Sand isn't Dragonsteel. 

While this is very true, the same thing happened to me last month when I put White Sand on my Kindle: the Kindle read the title as "Dragon Steel". I was thoroughly confused, and was secretly hoping that maybe my Kindle had been invested with some unknown Cosmere power that actually changes uploaded "personal" documents to books that I WISH I could read. Instead my Kindle did a half-arsed approach to Lightweaving, and couldn't finish the illusion beyond the title.  

Nonetheless, I was pleasantly pleased with White Sand as an unpolished novel and as a contribution to the literature of the Cosmere!

Dragonsteel, or at least a version of it, was Brandon's master's thesis.  The only publicly available copy of it is in the BYU library, and the wait list for it is... long.  I believe the plan is for Dragonsteel, the series, to be Brandon's big project after he finishes Stormlight.  Of course it'll have to be re-written since the whole Dalinar/Shattered Plains/bridge-runs thing was appropriated for Stormlight.

Dragonsteel, or at least a version of it, was Brandon's master's thesis.  The only publicly available copy of it is in the BYU library, and the wait list for it is... long.  I believe the plan is for Dragonsteel, the series, to be Brandon's big project after he finishes Stormlight.  Of course it'll have to be re-written since the whole Dalinar/Shattered Plains/bridge-runs thing was appropriated for Stormlight.

Didn't somebody lost / steal it?

Please excuse my raging newbity here but...how is it that y'all have ARC's of these books?? Also, is White Sand still planned to be in comic/graphic novel form [only]?

These novels are currently unreleased, and in a relatively unpolished state. However, Brandon has been giving out digital copies (my copy of White Sand came in a Word doc) out to people who contact him via his website.

From what I understand, the graphic novel of White Sand is the same story from the novel, but likely cleaned up/edited a bit (in addition to the obvious conversion to the new format). To the best of my knowledge, there is no current plan to publish a novel version of White Sand.

From what I understand, the graphic novel of White Sand is the same story from the novel, but likely cleaned up/edited a bit (in addition to the obvious conversion to the new format). To the best of my knowledge, there is no current plan to publish a novel version of White Sand.

Your knowledge is correct, to the best of my knowledge. ;)

These novels are currently unreleased, and in a relatively unpolished state. However, Brandon has been giving out digital copies (my copy of White Sand came in a Word doc) out to people who contact him via his website.

Wow that is pretty cool. I figured you were acquaintances of his or from an extended reading group of his or something. Is aether of night a future publication or one of his trunk novels?

Wow that is pretty cool. I figured you were acquaintances of his or from an extended reading group of his or something. Is aether of night a future publication or one of his trunk novels?

Aether is trunked.  Aspects from it have been cannibalized from it, such as "Decay" being reworked to become "Ruin" from Mistborn.

I'm sorry. The covers are really really awesome  :D , but something is bugging me. I know this is really really nitpicky, but you're showing sand. And it's dark. It's never dark on Dayside, that has the sand!

Okay. Rant over. Proceed. They're awesome! 

I'm sorry. The covers are really really awesome  :D , but something is bugging me. I know this is really really nitpicky, but you're showing sand. And it's dark. It's never dark on Dayside, that has the sand!

I haven't read White Sand yet, so I wouldn't know haha. I just finished The Aether of Night and it was really good. I definitely could see where some of his other books got some of the stuff. I might go back and make some more covers now. 

Yeah but if a Sand Master  Mastered the sand it would turn black :P

• Chaos locked this topic