I believe it is mentioned that Fortuity had already fallen out of favor with Steelheart, in a set of circumstances that is not described. Hold on a minute and I'll either be back with a quote or be ready to admit I'm wrong.

* SPOILERS *

EDIT: From Chapter 38. For context, it's David talking to Firefight

Someone betrayed us to Steelheart," I said. "Someone warned him we were going to hit Conflux, and someone told him we were hacking the city cameras. Today someone's been listening in on us, reporting to him what we've been doing. It was you."

She looked back at me, and didn't deny it.

"But you also used your illusions to save Abraham," I said. "And you killed Fortuity. I can buy that Steelheart wanted us to trust you, so he let you kill off one of his lesser Epics. Fortuity was out of favor anyway. But why would you betray us, then help Abraham escape?"

Bold emphasis added.

So it sounds like Big S wanted the Reckoners to trust Megan, so he allowed her to kill one of his less powerful, less favored Epics as a trade-off.

Edited by Kobold King

Ok, that makes Sense. So why did he let them Hit the Power Station? Was that also out of Favor?  :D

From the unwritten, unpublished Steelheart prequel, Ironkidney: 

Mike, the Evil Living Power Station, would have drawn a breath, if he had lungs, to steady himself, if he could shake. Well, he had shaken in the past, but that was Faultline's fault. But she was gone now. Just as he had planned. 

Mike watched as Steelheart studied him with a critical eye. An eye that seemed to peer into his past, into his very mind. Well, as much of a mind as an evil living power station could have, anyway. He stood there as the Newcago dictator watched him—though he couldn't have walked away had he wanted—and relaxed a bit as Steelheart turned away. Then, he tensed up again as the Epic turned back. 

"I know what you did," the dictator said. "I know about Faultline." 

Steelheart launched himself into the air, and was gone. 

Mike, the Evil Living Power Station, would have drawn a breath, if he had lungs, to steady himself, if he could shake. Well, he had shaken in the past, but that was Faultline's fault. But she was gone now. Just as he had planned. 

Mike watched as Steelheart studied him with a critical eye. An eye that seemed to peer into his past, into his very mind. Well, as much of a mind as an evil living power station could have, anyway. He stood there as the Newcago dictator watched him—though he couldn't have walked away had he wanted—and relaxed a bit as Steelheart turned away. Then, he tensed up again as the Epic turned back. 

"I know what you did," the dictator said. "I know about Faultline." 

Then David woke up and shook his head. His dreams had only gotten weirder once Steelheart had died.

Edited by Mailliw73

• Chaos locked this topic