Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
otomo

Another New Person

5 posts in this topic

Hey there! I'm getting excited about Mr. Sanderson's work, about to see him at Bay-Con this weekend. I heard of him through Wheel of Time, and read the first Mistborn book to check him out before his first WoT book hit. I loved it (though haven't had time to read the sequels yet, will get to it), and love his WoT books too. In prepartion for the con here, I started reading Elantris, about halfway through it as we speak. I think from what I've read, Brandon Sanderson moves into my top 5 all time favorite writers list, which is as follows for the sake of a converstion piece:

1. J. Michael Straczynski

2. Anne McCaffrey

3. Spider Robinson

4. Robert Heinlein

5. Brandon Sanderson

I'm generally more into sci-fi than fantasy, as you can see.

So, part two, I started following Writing Excuses a couple years ago, when I wanted to delve more seriously into writing myself. I write an ongoing web-comic: http://flyingsparkscomic.com about a superhero and a villain in love under their secret identities. I'll warn that it's more of a serious story, since most web comics are humor based. Got a first draft of one novel which I'm revising, and that's about it!

Oh, and I love baseball! :)

Done rambling now, nice to meet you all and I'll try to post up anything interesting I hear from Bay-Con this weekend.

Hey there Oto :D great to have you aboard. He's in your top five and you've only read 1.5 of his own stories? You should really REALLY enjoy the rest of his books then :D and I really hope you do.

Watch out for the admins around here, the have a tendency to make Marshes from new members, so be wary of admins bearing gifts XD

*takes to reading some webcomics* ;)

Hey there Oto :D great to have you aboard. He's in your top five and you've only read 1.5 of his own stories? You should really REALLY enjoy the rest of his books then :D and I really hope you do.

Watch out for the admins around here, the have a tendency to make Marshes from new members, so be wary of admins bearing gifts XD

*takes to reading some webcomics* ;)

1.5 of his own stories, but his WoT books are very much his style, and though I started WoT 15 years ago, and love Robert Jordan, I have enjoyed the Sanderson books more than any except for the first trilogy. I feel like I'm pretty familiar with how he writes given how long these darn books are! I've also read all of his short stories, just didn't really count those.

And 'sides, how many people out there list Tolkien as a favorite writer after only having read 3 of his books?

Nice to meet you! :)

Edited by otomo

And 'sides, how many people out there list Tolkien as a favorite writer after only having read 3 of his books?

Most count him after 1/3/6 or 2/4/7 depending how you count it, so yea, you got me on that one :D

Also Flying Sparks is a good read :D I'm looking forward to more XD

Most count him after 1/3/6 or 2/4/7 depending how you count it, so yea, you got me on that one :D

Also Flying Sparks is a good read :D I'm looking forward to more XD

You have a good point though. I'd say my top 3 though, my list of "how much of their work have I read" starts to dwindle pretty exponentially. Straczynski I am to the point of having different drafts of his scripts, Anne McCaffrey, well...

14xfmfp.jpg

That is my Anne McCaffrey bookcase. It's all her.

So starting to read 3-4+ books of another author after those two means they're at least on my "Pay attention to them" list. If I took a look at their short stories too then I REALLY like their work.

And thanks so much for reading! I know the art doesn't quite have the same quality the first couple of issues, but the current team (who are sooooo wonderful) looks to be staying for the long haul, and I'm about halfway through having that first issue's art redone (which I'll post it all when it's done).

Edited by otomo