Mechborn

Heir of the Void

just a question: the ship is called USS weathering. In real world, USS means united states ship. what does it have to do with scadrial?

It either stands for United Scadrial Ship or Union Star Ship. I haven't decided which sounds better. What do you think?

And what did you think of the story so far?

Really good story, Heir. You're one of the best fanfic writers I know. :P I like the I-Field and other interesting ideas you came up with. The Cuirasseir reminds me of the Titans in Titanfall.  :D

“Looks like its you and me, girl.” He said, laying a hand on the machine’s lower leg armor. “Let’s go kick some chull.”

Chull. Hmm... Think of the implications of that statement.  :ph34r:

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Really good story, Heir. You're one of the best fanfic writers I know. :P I like the I-Field and other interesting ideas you came up with. The Cuirasseir reminds me of the Titans in Titanfall.  :D

Chull. Hmm... Think of the implications of that statement.  :ph34r:

Thanks. I'm really flattered. Like, seriously. I'm glad you like the stuff I came up with rather than recognizing it for a blatant attempt to cramp Cosmre principles into generic Sci-Fi tropes disliking them. As for the Cuirasseir and its relation to the Titanfall titans... I'm not going to say its a blanant rip-off, but its pretty much a rip off.

Basiclly, they look like a combination of an Ogre from Titanfall and a KG-6 Slepneir from Aldnoah.Zero.

The story behind this particular story goes something like this. I was playing Titanfall, disarming people in my Ogre, and generally being frustrated at my lack of Titan-mobility. Then I thought: You know, Heir, if your Titan was a Mistborn, the amount badass it would be would increase by at least a factor of sixteen. Then, I was browsing the internet, and remembered that Brandon planed a future Mistborn trilogy, with allomantic FTL.

And If you can make a Allomantic FTL drive, you can build an Allomantic Robot.

Then I decided to ruin Mistborn by turning it into a mecha anime or something.

I really am sorry.

Also, Chull is the fourm's replacement for a particular word that means donkey. The Mistborn people haven't discovered Roshar (yet)

Edited by Heir of the Void

No need to apologize, Heir. That was truly a brilliant idea to combine the two ideas together. It was a perfect blend. :) Is there a part 2 coming?

And finally, someone else who also plays Titanfall! :D

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I'm glad you think the fusion went well, they don't always.

As for part II? Please. This isn't even all of chapter I. I juat wabted to post it here to see if the idea was stupid, which apparently it isn't.

As for the large plot, I have a vauge idea of the MistOpps squad chasing a case of leasuriumm around the frontier. That, or figuring out what the deal with these cults is...

I'm always glad to see someone who plays a game I like. Titanfall is awesome (smiley face)

How is this story not Popular yet?

Only question is, What happens if a Iron Ferring Stores weight while hooked up to a Cuirassier?

I don't know. Maybe it's because there are enough people on this site who read fanfiction to give the upvotes needed for a popular tag?

As for ferrings storing weight while conneceted to a Cuirassier, I haven't fully ironed it out yet, but what I'm thinking is that the Cuirassier gets lighters, as does the pilot. He can then tap weight to make his machine heavier, but only using weight stored while in the Cuirassier. That covers Feruchmey for most metals, but I'm not sure how gold would work.

What do you think?

It either stands for United Scadrial Ship or Union Star Ship. I haven't decided which sounds better. What do you think?

And what did you think of the story so far?

I really liked the feeling of the first quarter of it, but could not bring myself to read further. because i know that it is not the real mistborn. I know it's difficult to explain. I just... feel... wrong. reading it. Not because it's bad, as I said I was liking it. That kind of reaction is quite common in me and one of the reasons I never read fanfiction. in this case I was just curious enough to break the rule for a few minutes.

If I do Omakes for this story, which of these crossovers would you like to see?

1) Pacific Rim

2) Evangelion

3) Something else

Obviously, for the first two, I'd the Cuirassiers would be magically scaled up a bit. What do you think?

I dunno, both are good ideas... 

Personally, I'd chose Pacific Rim, since I haven't really watched Evangelion.

• 6 months later...

There you go Void. I upvoted you, and you finally got that Popular rating :)

I think this could be quite good as a sort of Space Marine crossover. Scale the suits down slightly (since i got the impression they were pretty massive) into more power armour, then add allomancy, and some kind of deserted spaceship/planet-based complex that turns out to be infested with horrors. Lifeless perhaps?

There you go Void. I upvoted you, and you finally got that Popular rating :)

I think this could be quite good as a sort of Space Marine crossover. Scale the suits down slightly (since i got the impression they were pretty massive) into more power armour, then add allomancy, and some kind of deserted spaceship/planet-based complex that turns out to be infested with horrors. Lifeless perhaps?

Thanks! I'm glad someone reminded me this story existed I can get back to this without breaking my word or something.

Quick Question; which Space Marine are you refering too? Is it Warhammer 40,000 (awesome), or something related to Aliens (also awesome), or am I completly off base?

As for the suits, I mention that they are six yards tall, though it was pretty offhanded.

In 40k terms, a Cuirassier is about the size of Riptide Battlesuit.

1d0d6e18381dd408353b7f121162fd9b.jpg

The riptide is the small one on the bottom left.

I could make them more like Power Armor, though then I'd probably have to throw out this opening. I'm okay with that, however.

How big a power armor suit are we talking? Like, Iron Man or like a Centurian Warsuit (the second one from the left).

6QRVo5Q.jpg

Somewhere in between the two - 40K style power armour, with an Aliens type atmosphere.

I'm glad you pointed out which one the Riptide was, otherwise I'd still be pretty clueless. I see you're working on the titan scale, from your writing, other posts, and your picture above.

I was thinking more along the size of a terminator, so, bottom middle for those that don't know 40K (the ones in the top picture are massively larger than those in the bottom picture). They are large enough that they would probably survive being dropped from orbit (That's how they do it in 40K) but still small enough that a single person's allomancy can support it.

Unless you've got some way of expanding allomancy to handle something so much bigger than a person (possible with your I-Fields I guess, if you are using the same technology to power your ships and FTL), I just think having something that big would be more likely to interfere with allomancy than use it.

That said, if you've got an idea, run with it. Don't let a little criticism stop you. It could even be that both our ideas exist in your Cosmere, both larger mechs and smaller powersuits.  :)

Edited by Bort

Somewhere in between the two - 40K style power armour, with an Aliens type atmosphere.

I'm glad you pointed out which one the Riptide was, otherwise I'd still be pretty clueless. I see you're working on the titan scale, from your writing, other posts, and your picture above.

I was thinking more along the size of a terminator, so, bottom middle for those that don't know 40K (the ones in the top picture are massively larger than those in the bottom picture). They are large enough that they would probably survive being dropped from orbit (That's how they do it in 40K) but still small enough that a single person's allomancy can support it.

Unless you've got some way of expanding allomancy to handle something so much bigger than a person (possible with your I-Fields I guess, if you are using the same technology to power your ships and FTL), I just think having something that big would be more likely to interfere with allomancy than use it.

That said, if you've got an idea, run with it. Don't let a little criticism stop you. It could even be that both our ideas exist in your Cosmere, both larger mechs and smaller powersuits.  :)

Okay, that makes sense.

The problem, of course, is that I had no idea where to go with this. Less than no idea; that's how I got distracted and wound up working on this (That story, Olympus Knights, is a Warhammer 40,000 crossover with Muv Luv, a cliche, over the top harem comedy LOLNOPE its a Grimdark Mecha War Story with something that resembles romance right up until every gets to traumatized for healthy interaction, though in either case, its awesome, but you don't need to know anything about Muv Luv to read it, just 40,000).

The idea of doing something like Aliens with Power Armor is an intresting idea. Its certinly a start, though I feel I would need to grow it into something bigger to do Mistborn justice. Plus, I'm crap at writing horror.

Man, That was awesome. That story was so good. If I could upvote twenty times I would. You seriously have a great idea, and the means to deliver it, wow. (Walks off dazed)

I am deeply, greatly, and enduringly flattered by your generous praise.

I think I'm going to continue this story with the mini-mechs (6 yrds) as the prime combat platform for MistOpps soliders, with smaller Powered Combat Suits for work in confined spaces (Boarding actions, large urban structures, the undergroubnd bunker complexes popular with every degenerate malcontent in human space and, obviously, creepy amalgamations of abandoned spacecraft) where something less than three times the height of a man is required.

The two big hangups I'm having are these:

One is a genre. I need to pick one. I'd be willing to try just about anything, except pure romance, because that seems like a waste of a cool Super Fighting Robot story. I could do straight pulp action, military stuff, political intrigue, whatever you guys think would be best.

The second one is a Massive Super Powerful Mavolent Force Of Doom. Like Ruin, or Shai'tan, or Odium, or Chaos. Something to provide a nice, big existential treat to a fairly stable hegomonic interstellar government in the absence of rival polities.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

This was really good, are you planning to continue?

I WANT TO!

But the problem is I just can't think of a Plot. Ruin is dead, so there isn't really anyone who can provide a comprable threat, and with human space more or less united, there isn't really anyone with the resources for a conventional war.

I NEEDS IDEAS!

They encounter other Shardworlds.

Or a new shard moves in. Brandon has mentioned that there's a shard that's just traveling through Space.

Or a Hemalurgy Cult assassinates the current ruler and starts infiltrating the highest levels of government.

Or the main character finds information in the rebel base that shows the rebels are in the right, and the Military is in the wrong.

Or due to <Random Science> The star of the original world goes supernova and the original world is destroyed, leaving only the colonies.

Or the Rebels manage to shoot down the Ship, stranding the MistOpps on the ground without support.

Alright, so after some drunken brainstorming careful consideration, I have decided on a direction for Mechborn. There will be a new Shard showing up, and she is a complete jerk, and some lots of other stuff will be hapening.

For the new shard, The name/Intent will be either Degeneracy or Perversion (not in the BAKA HENTAI! sense, the much more archaic denotation). If anyone has a preference, post or shoot me a PM or whatever. As for its Granted Investature... I'm still working out the details, but I'm open to sugestions. But if you people though Hemalurgy was bad...

In other news, I've brought on Micheal Bay as a creative consulant!

TL;DR: Updates will be resuming soon. Bring your Purity Seals.