BYU Cosmere Club

Newan

Oh, look at this. I saw the mention of Sanderson Elimination Live in the Elimination forum, but I didn't think to check here.

I don't attend BYU (I'm a proud alumnus of BYU-I :P), but I am most certainly in the area (only about 5 minutes away from campus. Maybe 10). Depending on the day and the frequency, I'd be interested in coming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some updates (which is why I'm double posting). 

Brandon mentioned that when he has his Writing Lectures at BYU, there's about 75 people that go there. They'd be prime candidates for expanding club membership. 

And if we want to be an official club, we'll have to go through BYUSA. We'll likely need a staff sponsor, and we'll need someone to organize it, to be the president of the club. We'll also have to attend and participate in a number of all-club functions. I'd do it, but I'm technically not a student till January, when I'll resume classes there.

Or, we could join our efforts with Quark, a sf/fantasy club on campus. Here's a link that says a little about them:

http://clubs.byu.edu/organization/NDc1MjUwNTUtMDAwMC0xNTc3Nw==/profile

Or, we could just make it unofficial, and get together once in a while. This is the easiest option, but there's probably some perks about joining as a club that we wouldn't have access to (for example, we couldn't advertise on campus, or rent out interesting rooms for events, etc).

As for the name, I'm for The Cosmere: A Brandon Sanderson club. Title, with a subtitle. 

It turns out that I'm not going to be at BYU for winter semester. I'm taking a leave of absense from school to deal with my anxiety disorder. But you guys should totally still make the club.

Making it as an official club would be cool. The hardest part would be finding a full-time staff member to be our advisor. I asked Peter if he mnew any full-time staff members who were fans of Brandon and he didn't know. I would bet there are, but I just don't know how to find them.

• 4 weeks later...

Anxiety disorder sucks. I dealt with it for years and still do, but have it mostly under wraps now, without any meds, too! It can be completely disabling, but know that it can be overcome. Good luck with figuring it out the way that works for you.

I am looking at BYU next winter. If this is around then, I will definitely drop in ;)

Edited by Turos Stoneward

Anxiety disorder sucks. I dealt with it for years and still do, but have it mostly under wraps now, without any meds, too! It can be completely disabling, but know that it can be overcome. Good luck with figuring it out the way that works for you.

I am looking at BYU next winter. If this is around then, I will definitely drop in ;)

Thanks.  I'm confident that I will get better.  I just need to take the time and see my shrink without being in a situation that constantly fills me with anxiety.  It sucks to be away, but it will be worth it. It's good for me to hear success stories like you.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it looks like best bet is just to make it a Cosmere group instead of an actual Club (which makes things a lot more flexible). 

So when/how often do we want to meet? Once a month? Twice a month? Weekly? Personally, I like once or twice a month, but that's because my life's pretty busy. 

And then after that, Where? We could find a Sharder's place to do it at, or we could also find somewhere else to do it. We could still do it on BYU campus, or we could find a different place. 

• 1 month later...

But when we do a get together, I want to be able to have spikes  I mean cookies there. And other refreshments. But I bet we can find a room. The question becomes... when? 

I would say this week, but my life's pretty crazy this week. But how about Tuesday April 7th at 7ish? If we reach a consensus, we can reach out personally to people that may not be looking here. I know I can probably bring 3 or 4 people who aren't here on the forum.

I will totally be there! Probably. Assuming it isn't anywhere I actually need a car to get to.

*edited to add* I might convince a few cosmere leaning friends to tag along as well

Edited by lyssie95

(Bumps this up)

So we have a place! We're going to do it at the JFSB (The giant glassy one) at 7 onTuesday, April 7. I'm going to bring some pizza (yea Little Ceaser's!) and so come, bring some Brandon Sanderson friends, and let me know how many are coming so I can buy enough food. 

It'd be great if you could bring a dollar or two to help out with the pizza. But if not, don't worry about it. 

We're going to be talking about Brandon Sanderson, about his books, and we may go into different theories that we individually have. If anyone else has other ideas on what to do, just let me know!