Really simple HTML editor

Joe ST

So Terez asked me to find and/or make her a HTML editor because she doesn't want to write all her tags herself. I found a few, but none of them were particularly awesome, so I made her one.

here or here

I'll quite happily add you more buttons if you want. The main feature was the Alt-to-view thing, the rest is just powered by jQuery and a bunch of code that adds selection functions to jQuery I found on StackOverflow. I might add some way of centering the preview on the cursor, if that becomes a problem, and I don't know how well it works over browsers.

unfortunately its also not clever enough to allow you to undo anything, which is a major sticking point, I think... Silly jQuery

Go ahead and ask me to improve it :)

Highlighting would be something i would like (but i use MS visual web developer, part of the express version of visual studios, for all my web based stuff :P ). I hate looking at flat text. It's offensive to my eyes (yeah, spoiled, i know) :P

Also, here's a kinda nice one i've used before. It's basically like editing a word document and then you hit the "HTML" button to see and copy the HTML code. It's pretty simple for people who don't want to mess with tags.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try getting into highlighting content in the textarea, the whole point was simplicity.

Be warned, the spoilers have techno-babble

I have a better idea, use a contenteditable div to display, and have a context-toggle rather than the preview. Toggle between a standard textarea and the contenteditable div. Might allow you to do rudimentary wysiwyg in the div, and tag arrangement in the textarea.

Still, the problem with undo is nearly a dealbreaker... stupid jQuery

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...