Question and Answer

Zas678

I am pretty sure that it's a trilogy. I remember Brandon mentioning it once, but it's not in the annotations, and I doubt it's in the database. It may have just been something I heard at a signing.

Or it might just be something my mind made up. But I'm pretty sure there's a third Elantris book ten years after the second one, with an unknown plot. (My bet is that it would feature side characters from the second book. Maybe with a Jindoeese? So we can get ChayShan magic?)

• 3 months later...

Oh I finally found this:

—Some notes here. Elantris has three books in the series, but they are loose sequels of each other. This means that side characters in one become main characters in the next. So while you'll see Raoden and Sarene in the second book, they won't be main characters. (Kiin's children will be.)

In the DB. Not sure if that's still the plan though.

• 1 month later...

Was the Lord Ruler compounding gold or atium.

I always thought that the Lord Ruler was compounding gold, because it seemed like atium would be far to scarce for even him to manage this for long. Using massive amounts of health would give a similar effect. In AoL it was demonstrated that this could keep you from needing to even breathe. It would have limits however as even the healthiest 900 year old is going to need a walker or something.

I always thought that the Lord Ruler was compounding gold, because it seemed like atium would be far to scarce for even him to manage this for long. Using massive amounts of health would give a similar effect. In AoL it was demonstrated that this could keep you from needing to even breathe. It would have limits however as even the healthiest 900 year old is going to need a walker or something.

As stated, he was compounding both. In AoL, Miles explicitly claims that compounded gold won't stop him from aging. He should know.

As the others have already mentioned, he had to Compound both atium and gold to pull off his immortality-trick.

But there's another limit to gold -- it heals, and healing in the Cosmere is very specific: it can only restore your body to its "default" state. In other words, it cannot make you more healthy than you already were--it can just remove any inflicted damage.

As the others have already mentioned, he had to Compound both atium and gold to pull off his immortality-trick.

But there's another limit to gold -- it heals, and healing in the Cosmere is very specific: it can only restore your body to its "default" state. In other words, it cannot make you more healthy than you already were--it can just remove any inflicted damage.

Not quite, actually. You can't fix chronic problems (ageing, for instance), but it's all about Healing back to the "form of yourself." So a Bloodmaker who happens to have a cold at the moment will be able to cure himself, but not if he suffers from "Coldnestimy" and always has a cold. It's not limited to just trauma.

You may have had this in mind already. In that case, sorry for my incorrect interpretation.

Edited by Kurkistan

Not quite, actually. You can't fix chronic problems (ageing, for instance), but it's all about Healing back to the "form of yourself." So a Bloodmaker who happens to have a cold at the moment will be able to cure himself, but not if he suffers from "Coldnestimy" and always has a cold. It's not limited to just trauma.

You may have had this in mind already. In that case, sorry for my incorrect interpretation.

That's what I was saying, yes. You restore the body to its "default" state. I meant 'damage' as a catch-all term for anything detrimental affecting the body, changing it from said default state.

Hey, does anyone know whether the bindpoints are the same between nonallomancers, mistings, and mistborn?

Obviously you can't extract abilities from people who don't have them, but do you stab a mistborn in the same place to grant a power as you would to a misting or a feruchemist?

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Good question. I remember reading that taking Lerasium to become a mistborn alters or rearranges your spirtual dna. This seems more like its 'spiritually exclusive' however, and the body doesn't sound like it's involved, at least to me.

I started with Mistborn, and read the whole series at least five times. Due to that, I have some inconsistencies I want to note, along with questions. For now, I shall ask the most pressing question: compounding. It makes sense, until you go metal by metal and see the flaw. What is the effect of copper compound?

I started with Mistborn, and read the whole series at least five times. Due to that, I have some inconsistencies I want to note, along with questions. For now, I shall ask the most pressing question: compounding. It makes sense, until you go metal by metal and see the flaw. What is the effect of copper compound?

We don't know, and Brandon has RAFO'd it. It's been theorized that it strengthens the memory to the point of perfect recall.

Edited by Kurkistan

It must. Everything has a Cognitive aspect.

This does mean Shai could theoretically stamp it shut if she had a lot of time on her hands.

...And could change how the entire country of Arelon viewed itself, including all important repercussions from the Chasm. Bit of a tall order, that.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been wanting to dive into Cosmere Theory for a long time, but I have no idea where to begin. I have read the Cosmere 101 thread, and it has told me what I already know and more. So if any one has a suggestion where I should start this journey, I am all ears. Thanks in advance!!! :)

I have been wanting to dive into Cosmere Theory for a long time, but I have no idea where to begin. I have read the Cosmere 101 thread, and it has told me what I already know and more. So if any one has a suggestion where I should start this journey, I am all ears. Thanks in advance!!! :)

There are some threads out there. There's mine (shameless plug), which is slightly outdated but still, I think, relatively sound--if in need of a bit of spit and polish applied to its description of the Cognitive in light of TES. You won't miss much if you skip the "great war of Nepene" sections, since it was mostly the two of us quoting at each other about relatively small-scale matters that only applied to Awakening.

Satsuoni posted a reply to my thread (which I really see as more of an expansion, since we don't disagree on much, fundamentally), which died far too young, and could use some love.

Other than plugging stuff I'm directly related to, looking into anything discussing the fundamental natures of the shards, spren, Shardblades, Nightblood, or the magic systems in general is probably a good idea.

Edited by Kurkistan

Kaladin, while in the slave cart, muses to himself and says "Honor died eight months ago." Now this is probably figurative, correct? But is there anyway that could be the literal time that Honor died?

A similar question is put in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

When did Syl first link up with Kaladin? would it happen that she was the spren in this part of the novel?

Kaladin pulled a pouch of spheres from his belt, meaning to toss it to Ven. The pouch stuck, however, refusing to come free of the belt. Kaladin cursed, stumbling, tugging at the pouch. It came free suddenly, causing him to lose his balance again. A translucent white form zipped away, spinning with a carefree air.

This was when he was still part of Amarams army shortly before the battle where he killed the Shardbearer.