Question and Answer

Zas678

damnation now that I'm thinking warbreaker Could the statue breaking lady from SLA be vivena? I mean she can change her hair color. ..

I've seen it theorized that she is one of the heralds, the one associated with art (don't remember/feel like looking up her name right now)

Shalash (or Ash). I think this is a highly unlikely possibility as the "final" Desolation (prologue of the Way of Kings) was 4500 years ago on Roshar and the Heralds had fought in many, many desolations before that. So, ballpark, 6000+ years? 10000+? Who knows but the point is that the Heralds have been around for thousands and thousands of years so it is highly unlikely that Vivenna is one of the Heralds.

Furthermore, we have WoB that Vasher based the design of Nightblood on shardblades which means Vasher visited Roshar, saw shardblades, returned to Nalthis, made Nightblood and then the Manywar etc. etc. So, the timing for Vivenna to be Shalash is very wrong.

Every Invested Object may stop a Shardblade... I think there is very little possibility that Oathgates keys are made of Alluminium and in the same way also that is part of Shardplate

We don't actually know that. The only knowledge we have on influencing Invested Objects is from Scadrial and various degrees of trouble with Pushing on different objects. And that knowledge isn't terribly well organised (trouble with Pushing on metalminds was nonexistant until Second Era but then Wax sees TenSoon's spikes in steelsight while Vin could only Push on spikes in body while burning duraluminium. And Inquisitors see almost everything in steelsight but can't Push on it. Things are weird and many clarifications are needed)

Considering the way the Oathgate keys behave, molding to the Shardblade, it seems almost inevitable that they're invested in some way, which leads me to doubt they're aluminum (though aluminum can be used as a metalmind, so it's not out of the realm of possibly). I suspect they're the same thing Spren and Shardblades are made out of, whatever that actually is (beyond the generic "investiture").

jW

Shalash (or Ash). I think this is a highly unlikely possibility as the "final" Desolation (prologue of the Way of Kings) was 4500 years ago on Roshar and the Heralds had fought in many, many desolations before that. So, ballpark, 6000+ years? 10000+? Who knows but the point is that the Heralds have been around for thousands and thousands of years so it is highly unlikely that Vivenna is one of the Heralds.

Furthermore, we have WoB that Vasher based the design of Nightblood on shardblades which means Vasher visited Roshar, saw shardblades, returned to Nalthis, made Nightblood and then the Manywar etc. etc. So, the timing for Vivenna to be Shalash is very wrong.

err, you misinterpreted my response.  the theory is that the person destroying statues is shalash, not that vivenna is shalash.   I agree that the timelines don't work for the latter.

We don't actually know that. The only knowledge we have on influencing Invested Objects is from Scadrial and various degrees of trouble with Pushing on different objects. And that knowledge isn't terribly well organised (trouble with Pushing on metalminds was nonexistant until Second Era but then Wax sees TenSoon's spikes in steelsight while Vin could only Push on spikes in body while burning duraluminium. And Inquisitors see almost everything in steelsight but can't Push on it. Things are weird and many clarifications are needed)

To be honest we know that Investiture mess with other Investiture and we have WoB about Invested Objects stop Shardblade.

For example we know a Metalmind may stop a Shardblade.

My first question to mister Sanderson:

1. Could a filled (fully feruchemical charge) metalmind block a Shardblade (or at least, resist a bit)?

2. Yes, it could. Excellent question.

About Steelsight, both Wax and the Inquisitors are Steel Savants... their ability to "sense" things with them is beyond the normal uses of Allomancy.

Edited by Yata

To be honest we know that Investiture mess with other Investiture and we have WoB about Invested Objects stop Shardblade.

For example we know a Metalmind may stop a Shardblade.

My first question to mister Sanderson:

• Could a filled (fully feruchemical charge) metalmind block a Shardblade (or at least, resist a bit)?
  • Yes, it could. Excellent question.
About Steelsight, both Wax and the Inquisitors are Steel Savants... their ability to "sense" things with them is beyond the normal uses of Allomancy.

From that WoB I read that a metalmind could either block or could resist the Shardblade a bit. But even if that was clear, we had cases of contradicting WoBs (burning spikes, for example) or even what is needed to Push on Shardblade.

One time Brandon stated that probably a duraluminium + strong Push could do it, another time he said that it would require a Mistborn holding the whole power of the Well Of Ascension.

And then BoM couldn't have been Pushed on and there was a WoB they're way less Invested than a Shardblade...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

About the steelsight: we don't know how the whole thing works. There are "good" and "bad" anchors and they have thin and thick blue lines... and I think that it was indicated that good anchors could be Pushed more powerfully.

When Wax sees the filled goldmind in BoM, he says its line is very weak. It indicates if he were to Push on it, the Push would be weak. So I guess he could Push on spikes inside a body? (Since he sees TenSoon spikes). Kelsier was a Mistborn and also a steel and iron savant IIRC but he still told Vin that metals which pierce the body cannot be affected by Allomancy. Argh.

On another hand, Inquisitors see many things in steelsight, so it should indicate they can Push on everything they can see... but that it's ridiculous, either they could Push on practically everything (no evidence) OR be almost blind (counter-evidence)! It makes no sense!

Edited by Oversleep

On another hand, Inquisitors see many things in steelsight, so it should indicate they can Push on everything they can see... but that it's ridiculous, either they could Push on practically everything (no evidence) OR be almost blind (counter-evidence)! It makes no sense!

Not to assert that there aren't issues and apparent contradictions with Allomancy and specifically Allomantic steel and Allomantic iron, but I think that it's reasonable to say that the Inquisitors CAN push on everything they see, but it's not necessarily any use, because pushing on some of those lines would be incredibly weak. They can make out much finer lines not only because they are Hemalurgically improved allomancers but also because they've replaced an entire natural sense with a different one. Consider Spook's advice to Vin about how half of listening is ignoring unimportant sounds. Inquisitors have the "luxury" of rewiring their brains to work with Allomancy, so they just have that extra capacity to pay attention to what's there.

At least, that's how I look at it, and it has precedent IRL.

Edited by kinxer

To be honest (but probably is better to start a new topic about) I always thought that Wax was stronger than Kelsier as Coinshooter... After all He develop Savantism in years and years of Allomantic use while Kelsier also if probably had a powerful base power can't develop so far his Savantism... Remember Kelsier lived in a time where his Allomancy may cost him the life.

Anyway returning to the Investiture VS Investiture topic, I don't think an object have to be as Invested as a Shardblade to stop a Shardblade (you just need to remember the Half-Shard).

More is invested and more resist to other Investiture but this isn't an ON-OFF switch. For example an Object with some Breath inside would probably resist to a Shardblade proportionally to the amount of Breath it has (and in the end Nightblood would stop and overcome a regular Shardblade).

• Joe ST locked this topic
  • Chaos unpinned this topic