Question and Answer

Zas678

Do we know if a Mistborn can Burn Shardplate? If so, any clues as to what it would do?

I want to say there is a WoB about this floating around somewhere about how it would either be difficult or impossible to because they don't have a connection to that kind of investiture?

I want to say there is a WoB about this floating around somewhere about how it would either be difficult or impossible to because they don't have a connection to that kind of investiture?

So you are saying that the only reason Mistborn can Burn Atium, is because of the Ruin inside of them? That sounds like it makes sense.

So you are saying that the only reason Mistborn can Burn Atium, is because of the Ruin inside of them? That sounds like it makes sense.

Possibly that is what that means?  But I'm just trying to quote a WoB I remember reading, and it doesn't mention anything about atium and Ruin so I can't say anything definitively.

I've read that Brandon has said the ending of the Stormlight Archive is actually contained in the first two books. Does anybody have any more details on this, or a link to the original WoB? Is it the ending to the entire series or just the first five books?

I'm doing a reread trying to figure it out... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I need some help understanding some Stormlight Archive background stuff.

2-part question: Is there WoB on the following:

A)Were the humans that now reside on Roshar created by Tanavast/Cultivation or were they brought to Roshar by them from Yolen/other planet where humans lived, with their belongings (culture, animals, etc)?

B)Did Tanavast/Cultivation settle the humans on another planet in the Rosharan system first, and were they subsequently chased out by Odium?

I know within the books there are hints, but is there more than just hints?

Thank you.

I could go around with theories all day, but there is no definitive answer to either of those questions to my knowledge. Personally, I think there are enough clues to make it pretty clear that humans are not native to Roshar, but there's definitely room for debate on the subject. I don't think that Brandon will settle this anywhere but inside of a book.

A)Were the humans that now reside on Roshar created by Tanavast/Cultivation or were they brought to Roshar by them from Yolen/other planet where humans lived, with their belongings (culture, animals, etc)?

B)Did Tanavast/Cultivation settle the humans on another planet in the Rosharan system first, and were they subsequently chased out by Odium?

A) There's nothing certain, but we know that the Parshendi were "not originally" of Cultivation/Odium, and they are just plain not of Honor. The Stormfather refers to Kaladin as being "of Honor", so my money would go to humans being made solely by Honor.

But yeah, it's all theories at this point. BS has been asked and he's RAFO'd the question.

B) Possibly. Nothing certain is known, though I'm a fan of the theory that Braize/Damnation (the planet) was once the Tranquiline Halls of Vorin myth. This is uncertain, however.

Edited by Moogle

Humans on Scadrial are 2 parts preservation and 1 part ruin. This weakened preservation enough that he trapped ruin and siphoned some of his power away making them equal.

My question is:

When somebody dies, does 2 parts preservation return to the shard, and 1 part to ruin? Or is the power lost forever?

My question is:

When somebody dies, does 2 parts preservation return to the shard, and 1 part to ruin? Or is the power lost forever?

The power almost certainly isn't lost forever. Sazed remarks that power cannot be destroyed (even Hemalurgic decay doesn't destroy Investiture, so far as I know). We don't know whether or not it returns to the Shard, though, or where it comes from. It might be possible to have the population of Scadrial grow to the point that Sazed runs out of power, or Endowment give out so much Breath that he/she runs out. We don't know.

WoB which is sort of related:

Master_Moridin

Why does Preservation fueling Allomancy not weaken Preservation compared to Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

Because the power, once used, returns to him--much as water, after passing over a turbine, continues on in its system.

(source)

Investiture is "recycled". Stormlight is similar - once used, it (probably) returns to the highstorm.

Edited by Moogle

Hi. I need some help understanding some Stormlight Archive background stuff.

I know within the books there are hints, but is there more than just hints?

Thank you.

I want to say that the humans on Roshar are originally from Yolen and were moved from there when Yolen became uninhabitable. We know that Yolen was was the first place humans existed. I doubt Brandon would have multiple points of human creation within the same universe.

To answer the second question I want to say that Ashyn and Yolen are the same place, but names have changed over time... though this is mostly a crackpot theory that involves information from Dragonsteel and Liar of Partinel which have not been published and are meant to undergo vast amounts of editing before they are published so take it with a grain of salt.

Is there any reason why a person couldn't wield two Honorblades? Obviously, this would consume exorbitant amounts of Stormlight, but besides that? Such a person would be ridiculously dangerous... Furthermore, if a person IS able to do such a thing, would wielding two Honorblades that share a surge (say, Nalan'Elin's and Jezrien's) grant extra power in regards to that one surge (in this case, Gravitation)?

Edited by kinxer

Is there any reason why a person couldn't wield two Honorblades? Obviously, this would consume exorbitant amounts of Stormlight, but besides that? Such a person would be ridiculously dangerous... Furthermore, if a person IS able to do such a thing, would wielding two Honorblades that share a surge (say, Nalan'Elin's and Jezrien's) grant extra power in regards to that one surge (in this case, Gravitation)?

You can dual wield honorblades. Or shardblade / honorblade, as well.

Yes, you would consume insane amounts of stormlight.

I don't believe they stack, but I may be incorrect.

To answer the power question specifically, yes you would be more powerful. WoB:

Q:  If a non Windrunner picked up Jezrien's honorblade would they gain Windrunner powers as well?

A:  Yes

Q:  If a Windrunner picked up that blade, would their abilities be enhanced?

A:  There would be some compounding but strength is not as much an issue with surgebinding as is the strength of the spren bond and how much Stormlight you are using.

(source)

Thanks. I was thinking that someone with a combination of Gravitation, Division, Cohesion, and Tension would be terrifying, from what I can tell about the latter three. Actually, there are several combinations that would be terrifying.

EDIT

To add another question, do we know whether there's any race restriction for Honorblade use? Also, how drastically can Aimians change their physiology? Because a ten-armed Aimian with all the Honorblades sounds really awesome. And gross.

Edited by kinxer