Question and Answer

Zas678

2. can the divine breath be given away like other breaths can?

3. is the consuming of other breaths a trait of the divine breath or of the Returned?

---

unrelated:

4. Brandon has said that there were Spren (splinters) on Roshar BEFORE the arrival of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.

True or False?

2. Yes - or well, maybe. It can be used for Awakening:

Cheese Ninja
Is it hypothetically possible to Awaken an object using a Divine Breath?
Brandon Sanderson
Yes

However, Lightsong uses the standard "My Breath to yours" to heal Susebron. This could be a matter of intent, however - Lightsong intends to heal, and so he does. If he intended to give Susebron his Divine Breath for use in Awakening, maybe he could do that too.

3. Unknown, though this WoB implies it's a trait of the Returned themselves:

Skyler

If a returned gives away his/her breath they die right? So why doesn't Vasher die after he gives his to Denth?

Brandon Sanderson

They will die the moment they run out of breath to harvest. Once a week their body needs a breath in order to survive. Each Returned has one single superpowered breath. Imagine it as one breath that propels them up through the Heightenings, but it is only a single breath. It's what we speak of in Shard world terminology as a Splinter. And when the seventh day comes, if a Returned does not have another breath for his body to consume to keep him alive, his body will actually eat his divine breath and kill him. So they don't die immediately after they get rid of the breath, they're sort of put into a state of limbo where if they don't find more breath by the time that their feast day comes, then they will die. (Vasher did not give his Returned breath to Denth, just a number of normal breaths.)

(source)

Edited by Moogle

• 2 weeks later...

Is the planet Yolen still around or did something happen to it?

Unknown, but if you read the Liar sample chapters, things look pretty grim for it.

I've always been a fan of the theory that Yolen is now Braize, aka Damnation.

• 2 weeks later...

In AoL it appears Wax gets a boost of sorts from the mists at the end. Also, in HoA Vin fuels Elends allomancy without him having to replenish his metals.

Questions:

1. Is it possible for any allomancer to draw upon the mists at any time? From what happens at the end of AoL, I assume it is possible only if Preservation (now Harmony) allows the allomancer to do so.

2. If an allomancer is able to figure out how to fuel with the mists, does this turn Mistings into Mistborn? Or would they only be able to still use their one metal?

In AoL it appears Wax gets a boost of sorts from the mists at the end. Also, in HoA Vin fuels Elends allomancy without him having to replenish his metals.

Questions:

1. Is it possible for any allomancer to draw upon the mists at any time? From what happens at the end of AoL, I assume it is possible only if Preservation (now Harmony) allows the allomancer to do so.

2. If an allomancer is able to figure out how to fuel with the mists, does this turn Mistings into Mistborn? Or would they only be able to still use their one metal?

This is going to be pretty spoilery (but I guess we are in the Cosmere Theories section anyways… and the books were published ages ago…)

1. Um… I think there's a WoB that says that Vin was special so that she could take the mists in*, but I can't find it. Though the Preservation "approval" is a good idea. 

2. Based on our current understanding, I think that a Misting would just be able to super-power his one skill. A Misting is someone who has Spiritual DNA written in such a way as to allow Preservation's power to take a certain, pre-determined effect when taken into himself.  When the Misting Snaps, the cracks in his Spritweb allow Preservation's power in. Ingesting the Mists gives a LOT more power than a metal will usually give. This will give a lot of power to say, Steelpushing, if the Misting is a Coinshot. However, he wouldn't be able to use the power to change his sDNA to give himself different powers. That's one of the differences between the Mists (gaseous Investiture) and Lerasium (solid Investiture). Lerasium somehow affects the Spiritual Realm, while the Mists don't. They just amp up the Physical effects of the Investiture. 

While I'm writing this…

I was doing some editing on the Coppermind when I noticed this, and I don't want to start correcting stuff that doesn't need to be corrected. I've noticed that some people talk about a "Surge of Growth", even though technically, that's part of the "Surge of Progression". Are both of them considered Surges (one being a sub-Surge of the other), or is only Progression a Surge? There isn't a Surge of "Basic Lashing", or "Full Lashing", only Surges of Gravitation and Pressure, right? 

While I'm writing this…

I was doing some editing on the Coppermind when I noticed this, and I don't want to start correcting stuff that doesn't need to be corrected. I've noticed that some people talk about a "Surge of Growth", even though technically, that's part of the "Surge of Progression". Are both of them considered Surges (one being a sub-Surge of the other), or is only Progression a Surge? There isn't a Surge of "Basic Lashing", or "Full Lashing", only Surges of Gravitation and Pressure, right? 

You're correct. There is no Surge called Growth (though it was the name we used pre-WoR), it's Progression. Similarly, there isn't a Surge of Pressure, there's only Adhesion (though Adhesion may very well use atmospheric pressure to accomplish the things it does). ReGrowth is a use of Progression like a Basic Lashing is a use of Gravity.

You're correct. There is no Surge called Growth (though it was the name we used pre-WoR), it's Progression. Similarly, there isn't a Surge of Pressure, there's only Adhesion (though Adhesion may very well use atmospheric pressure to accomplish the things it does). ReGrowth is a use of Progression like a Basic Lashing is a use of Gravity.

Thanks! 

I am just begining to read about the Cosmere and just got through the basic stuff. There are many questions in my mind, but one of them, although related to a seemingly insignificant point, burns me - Why is Dalinar's curse a lack of memory about his wife, and the inability to even hear her name? Teravangian's curse looks meaningful and related to his reward - he lacks empathy during his peaks of intelligence, which supposedly helps him plan the overall hard decision, while he is tormented by the consequences in his lesser days and is influenced by it in the implementation of his greater plan - so it brings a kind of a balance. Dalinar's seems inconsequential - Navani even says that his wife was less intelligent than he was. Could it be that for some reason memory of his wife or what happened to her could have prevented him from following his "destiny" - the unification of Alethkar (or perhaps even beyond Alethkar). On the same note - is it the same force that is driving both Dalinar and Teravangian to the same goal - having both just as a precaution, or are they the results of competing forces with seemingly similar goals? Somewhere it was said that Teravangian was wondering whether Dalinar would become his ally or competitor, depending on the path he chose, which at the time stroke me as confusing. Also, does anyone knows about Dalinar's curse, I don't remember from the text whether that was made clear.

Edited by Khognilin

I am just begining to read about the Cosmere and just got through the basic stuff. There are many questions in my mind, but one of them, although related to a seemingly insignificant point, burns me - Why is Dalinar's curse a lack of memory about his wife, and the inability to even hear her name? Teravangian's curse looks meaningful and related to his reward - he lacks empathy during his peaks of intelligence, which supposedly helps him plan the overall hard decision, while he is tormented by the consequences in his lesser days and is influenced by it in the implementation of his greater plan - so it brings a kind of a balance. Dalinar's seems inconsequential - Navani even says that his wife was less intelligent than he was. Could it be that for some reason memory of his wife or what happened to her could have prevented him from following his "destiny" - the unification of Alethkar (or perhaps even beyond Alethkar). On the same note - is it the same force that is driving both Dalinar and Teravangian to the same goal - having both just as a precaution, or are they the results of competing forces with seemingly similar goals? Somewhere it was said that Teravangian was wondering whether Dalinar would become his ally or competitor, depending on the path he chose, which at the time stroke me as confusing. Also, does anyone knows about Dalinar's curse, I don't remember from the text whether that was made clear.

We don't actually KNOW what is Dalinar's curse and what is his boon.  It seems like it is his curse, but it could just as easily be his boon (especially if something happened with her that is psyche-crippling, it's like a fugue state).  We also really don't understand enough the Nightwatcher and her boons and curses to guess and her motivations.  Yes Taravangian's boon and curse "go together" but that we have other examples where they are not related to each other (Av's father's boon was a bale of cloth, his curse was to see the world up-side down).

Dalinar is the only one who knows he can't remember his wife.

Didn't he say - or think to himself - that a few people do? I seem to have a memory of something about that.

Ah, I was mis-remembering a WoB, it seems that a few people do know:

Q:  How many people that we've met know the story of Dalinar's wife?

A:  Know which story?

Q:  The story about the pact, why he doesn't remember anything.

A:  Not very many at all know that he doesn't remember. He's had to fake it.

(source)

Thanks for the info on the Nightwatcher. What about the other thing - both Dalinar and Taravangian want to unite Alethkar/The world in order to deal with what is to come. Is it the same force that is driving them to do that? Dalinar is driven by the visions given to him by Honor, what about Taravangian? I may have missed this, I only have the audiobook and it is difficult to search through it.

Oh, and throughtout the book I thought that Dalinar was misinterpreting the "Unite them" part - he took it to mean the Highprinces. I thought initially that the visions were speaking about the blades, but I guess that they meant the newly-formed Radients, is it so?

Edited by Khognilin

what about Taravangian?

The force "driving" Taravangian to save the world might be best expressed by a line from a commercial for the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

"Why do you want to save the galaxy?"

"Because I live in it!"

Or, to quote Terry Pratchett, the thing about "saving the world" is that it inevitably includes the bit of world that you, personally, are standing on.

Thanks for the info on the Nightwatcher. What about the other thing - both Dalinar and Taravangian want to unite Alethkar/The world in order to deal with what is to come. Is it the same force that is driving them to do that? Dalinar is driven by the visions given to him by Honor, what about Taravangian? I may have missed this, I only have the audiobook and it is difficult to search through it.

They are both driven by the same source. Gavilar received visions during highstorms that apparently match what Dalinar got, and Gavilar told Taravangian all about the visions, including the oft-repeated "unite them". Taravangian took up Gavilar's mission to unite them when he got himself assassinated, or so it seems. His motives seem to be mostly genuine in that he wants to save as many people as he can.

Oh, and throughtout the book I thought that Dalinar was misinterpreting the "Unite them" part - he took it to mean the Highprinces. I thought initially that the visions were speaking about the blades, but I guess that they meant the newly-formed Radients, is it so?

This is the most likely interpretation. The Almighty pretty much directly says it in one monologue, too:

The Almighty turned to him. “I was surprised when these orders arrived. I did not teach my Heralds this. It was the spren— wishing to imitate what I had given men —who made it possible. You will need to refound them. This is your task. Unite them. Create a fortress that can weather the storm. Vex Odium, convince him that he can lose, and appoint a champion. He will take that chance instead of risking defeat again, as he has suffered so often. This is the best advice I can give you.”

Edited by Moogle

Actually we don't know whether Dalinar is seeing exactly the same visions Gavilar did (Brandon RAFO'd me on that one). The unification theme is definitely shared, but the specifics could be different.

• 2 weeks later...

Who's Vargo? Is that Taravangian's first name? I've seen people use this name interchangeably with Taravangian's, have I missed something?

Its a nickname, specifically the nickname used by his childhood friend Adrotagia.  People have likely been using it because it is shorter/easier to spell than Taravangian.

Is there such a thing as a Feruchemical savant? We've had discussions of the drawbacks of compounding, but I still don't understand why a problem would manifest when compounding… What's the cause?

Edit: clarity.

Edited by Curiosity

Is there such a thing as a Feruchemical savant? We've had discussions of the drawbacks of compounding, but I still don't understand why a problem would manifest when compounding… What's the cause?

We don't know!

The thing with Allomantic savants is that you're constantly having an outside energy shove its way through you, so after a while of forcing your body to accept that, it changes.

Feruchemy might act in a similar way, and your body might slowly come to rely on it (as might have happened in Miles' case), because someone drawing on metalminds all day is sort of still sort forcing energy through their body and making changes to it. The fact that Miles no longer felt pain after a while may be a sign that he was an Feruchemical gold savant.

I certainly think this is the case, but it's possible Feruchemical Investiture is 'yours' so forcing it through yourself has no effects.

Also, it's unclear on what the effects would actually be if there were Feruchemical savants - most Allomantic savants show an increased mastery of their metal, but Feruchemy doesn't have that. Miles not feeling pain is suspicious. Your guess is as good as mine on this.

Edited by Moogle

You may wish to look at, and maybe even join, this conversation, where I posit that every Metallic art has "creations"; Allomancy creates savants and Hemalurgy creates mutants like the Koloss or Inquisitors. In the end-positive system, additional energy is accreted from outside to craft something new and different, stronger than it was (on balance; there are, of course, drawbacks). In Hemalurgy, end-negative, several souls are combined into a single monstrous spiritweb, smaller than the sum of its parts. By this logic, however a practitioner is modified by feruchemy, the end-neutral art, would have to explain how the resultant spiritweb is neither greater nor less, simply different.

You may wish to look at, and maybe even join, this conversation, where I posit that every Metallic art has "creations"; Allomancy creates savants and Hemalurgy creates mutants like the Koloss or Inquisitors. In the end-positive system, additional energy is accreted from outside to craft something new and different, stronger than it was (on balance; there are, of course, drawbacks). In Hemalurgy, end-negative, several souls are combined into a single monstrous spiritweb, smaller than the sum of its parts. By this logic, however a practitioner is modified by feruchemy, the end-neutral art, would have to explain how the resultant spiritweb is neither greater nor less, simply different.

That's very interesting, but I do have a problem with the idea: Feruchemy isn't end-neutral when you introduce Compounding.

That's very interesting, but I do have a problem with the idea: Feruchemy isn't end-neutral when you introduce Compounding.

I assume by compounding you mean mixing allomancy with feruchemy. So, yes. Mixing an end-positive and an end-neutral system gives you a net positive. I'm not sure I understand your point. Please tell me what you think this fairly obvious conclusion means that wasn't addressed when Kurk and I discussed Compounder Savants in the thread. Or, better yet, mention it in the actual thread, which is about this topic, whereas this "question and answer" thread is not.