Question and Answer

Zas678

Thank you Moogle, that makes sense, but now I'm trying to wrack my brain as to where allomancy was used on Roshar...  I attributed everything Wit did to Lightweaving, holding breath and probably Feruchemy (just blind guesses)  I give up, gimme a hint?

Hoid drinks some metals here in a Shallan flashback:

Shallan turned back to the newcomer. She caught, with a subtle movement, the man slipping something from his coat pocket and moving it up toward the drinks. A shock coursed through Shallan. She raised a hand. Poison—

The newcomer covertly dumped the pouch’s contents into his own drink, then raised it to his lips, gulping down the powder. What had it been? Shallan lowered her hand. The newcomer stood up a moment later. He didn’t bow to Father as he left. He gave Shallan a smile, then was down the steps and out of the box.

People thought this was him using Allomancy, and someone asked Brandon at a signing. We got this answer:

Q:  What alloy did Hoid drink?

A:  Let's just say he was trying to make certain people act the way they wanted to.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

Ahhh I should have immediately gone back to re-read that flashback, after she recognized him in the present!  Good to know...

So, I just decided to post here today, and I'm getting addicted to asking questions now...

I had read somewhere that hoid had ability with one of the Scadrial metal magics,  I read suspicion regarding what hes doing with his learsium (spike, mind, both?) but has it been confirmed that hes also a ferring or spiked?  (I always thought he was some sort of Feruchemist, but I dont recall any specifics...)

I had read somewhere that hoid had ability with one of the Scadrial metal magics,  I read suspicion regarding what hes doing with his learsium (spike, mind, both?) but has it been confirmed that hes also a ferring or spiked?  (I always thought he was some sort of Feruchemist, but I dont recall any specifics...)

He's a Feruchemist, so far as we know.

1. "Hoid has had fingers chopped off on occasion. I doubt he's kept them around after the new ones grow in." (source)

Mike Cockrum
Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?

Brandon Sanderson
He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

Also, note that Hoid remarks on this ability in WoR:

Wit nodded, looking thoughtful. “I need to read that book of yours again, it seems. I wanted to warn you, however. I’ll be leaving soon.”

“Leave?” Dalinar said. “You only just arrived.”

“I know. It’s incredibly frustrating, I must admit. I have discovered a place that I must be, though to be honest I’m not exactly sure why I need to be there. This doesn’t always work as well as I’d like it to.”

As to his lerasium, we know he originally got it so he could become an Allomancer, but we don't know if he took it or not. Or perhaps he might have taken half of it, and is using the other half as a metalmind. It's a very interesting question.

Edited by Moogle

So, we know theres a way to gain allomantic powers outside of hemalurgy, but is there a way to gain feruchemic (sp?) powers other than being born with it or being spiked ?

Can we assume that Hoid was not born a feruchemist (being born before the shattering when only old magic was present?  hemalurgy being of ruin separately makes it "new magic" ?)

Source:

Q. For Feruchemy, can you only inherit that? Or is there another way to get it?

A. You could obviously get it through a Hemalurgic spike.
Q. Yeah, but that’s kind of a different thing.
A. It is hereditary, but it came from somewhere. [...] Which is a RAFO, but it’s not a big RAFO. There’s not something you missed in the books, or anything like that. It originally came from Preservation long ago. And there are other ways to get it, but you have not missed any major plot points regarding that. Good question.
Edited by Kurkistan

So, people of Scadrial were created by Ruin and Preservation...   Natives of the Roshar system...  did they come about organically or were they created by Cultivation and Honor before Odium got there? 

And why not, cause I'll probably be curious:  What about the other populated (with or without shards) worlds ?  Yolen was the "source" of life, and we know it had life before the shards, but we dont know if Adonalsium was the cause of life there, do we?

So, people of Scadrial were created by Ruin and Preservation...   Natives of the Roshar system...  did they come about organically or were they created by Cultivation and Honor before Odium got there? 

And why not, cause I'll probably be curious:  What about the other populated (with or without shards) worlds ?  Yolen was the "source" of life, and we know it had life before the shards, but we dont know if Adonalsium was the cause of life there, do we?

You might be interested in these:

Q:  Are the Parshendi of Odium?

A:  Not originally.

Q:  Are the Parshendi of Cultivation?

A:  Not originally.

Q:  Are the Parshendi of Honor?

A:  No

(source)

These quotes imply Adonalsium originally created the Parshendi.

The Stormfather speaks to Kaladin, and the way he chooses to respond to Kaladin is curious: he says "Child of Honor". I consider it strong evidence that Honor was responsible (at least in part) for the creation of humans on Roshar (or whatever planet they came from). We don't know for sure, though. I would guess that most of the Shards created humans on their worlds, except for the humans in places like Threnody which have no Shard.

The Heralds certainly do not seem to be from Roshar originally as well, but we've been RAFO'd on that consistently. It's possible they're from Yolen.

I'm also confident that the Horneaters were Invested partially by Cultivation, though whether that means she created them or she added a bit of herself to them after Honor did so is unclear to me. Based on Rock's story, I'd guess the latter.

We don't know if Adonalsium created human life. It seems very likely, though.

Can a AoL era koloss be naturally born with Allomancy? No Hemalurgy, just nature.

Follow-up: Can AoL era koloss even burn lerasium?

I'm sorry for double posting this, but I really want to know the answer, because the answers could have powerful implications…

Ok, my question comes from the Mistborn series, mainly the Hero of Ages. I was reading through one of the chapters about Spook's past and came upon this:

" "You have a name, boy?"

Spook opened his mouth, then stopped. His old name didn't seem like it would do anymore. "Lestibournes," he finally said."

It goes on to explain the meaning of Spook's new name choice. But it also indicates he made this name up himself. And the name Spook was given o him by Kelsier. I was wondering if in any of the other books if it mentions Spook's real, original name.

Edited by Avela

I was wondering if in any of the other books if it mentions Spook's real, original name.

It was not mentioned in any book that I remember, but Brandon offered it up freely when asked:

firstRainbowRose

I have a rather simple question. What was Spook's real name? He gives a easternese slang term that becomes his name, then he goes by his Kelsier-given nick. So, what was his birth name? (Yes, I wonder about random things like that.)

Brandon Sanderson

Jedal. After his father. Which is the reason why Spook didn't like using it.

<source>

What do Shards get from Investing?

We don't know. It's a question to ask Brandon.

Possibilities:

• Their Intent encourages them into it as a way to create life. (Preservation wants life to preserve, so he asks Ruin to create life with him.)
  • It allows one to have a magic system, and agents who can use it. Every game of chess needs pawns.
  • Boredom.
  • A way to increase your defenses. You're tied to one location, but you've also got something you can fortify.
  • Desire to play god. (Endowment's enjoying him/herself with the Returned...)

If you don't Invest a planet, what do you do? Sit around with an alien force compelling you to manifest your Intent? I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, question about Hoid:  Does he have allomancy?  The Wiki says that he did indeed get a Lerasium Bead, is speculates that it is being kept safe for him by somebody else.  However in Words of Radiance, Shallah saw him covertly add an unknown powder to his own drink while talking to her father during the flashback.  At the time I had assumed this was him topping off his reserves of metals, but if he is hiding the bead somewhere then I would guess he does not have Allomancy, unless he got it at some other time (before or after, more likely before unless Harmony gave it to him, I suppose).

OK, question about Hoid:  Does he have allomancy?  The Wiki says that he did indeed get a Lerasium Bead, is speculates that it is being kept safe for him by somebody else.  However in Words of Radiance, Shallah saw him covertly add an unknown powder to his own drink while talking to her father during the flashback.  At the time I had assumed this was him topping off his reserves of metals, but if he is hiding the bead somewhere then I would guess he does not have Allomancy, unless he got it at some other time (before or after, more likely before unless Harmony gave it to him, I suppose).

He does have Allomancy, and he does replenish his metal reserves in that scene (he was using emotional Allomancy).  Whether he used the bead in the traditional manner is currently unknown.

Hoid drinks some metals here in a Shallan flashback:

People thought this was him using Allomancy, and someone asked Brandon at a signing. We got this answer:

Q:  What alloy did Hoid drink?

A:  Let's just say he was trying to make certain people act the way they wanted to.

(source)

"Hoid has had fingers chopped off on occasion. I doubt he's kept them around after the new ones grow in." (source)

Well, we know that Hoid has Allomancy for sure (some sort of emotional Allomancy at least, but probably more, since it looks like he compounds gold), which he could have gotten from a part of the lerasium bead. He could have then kept the rest. We're still not sure if the amount of lerasium that you burn determines how strong of a Mistborn you are, but we do know that burning lerasium overwrites your spiritual DNA. 

Edit: ninja'd. You're really good at this, Weiry!

Edited by Curiosity

Returned are *not* Splinters, the divine Breath they hold is a Splinter.

Skyler

If a returned gives away his/her breath they die right? So why doesn't Vasher die after he gives his to Denth?

Brandon Sanderson

They will die the moment they run out of breath to harvest. Once a week their body needs a breath in order to survive. Each Returned has one single superpowered breath. Imagine it as one breath that propels them up through the Heightenings, but it is only a single breath. It's what we speak of in Shard world terminology as a Splinter. And when the seventh day comes, if a Returned does not have another breath for his body to consume to keep him alive, his body will actually eat his divine breath and kill him. So they don't die immediately after they get rid of the breath, they're sort of put into a state of limbo where if they don't find more breath by the time that their feast day comes, then they will die. (Vasher did not give his Returned breath to Denth, just a number of normal breaths.)

(source)

And as Swimmingly said, a Shard does not need to be Splintered to have Splinters.

1. upvote for Weiry on the Quote

2. can the divine breath be given away like other breaths can?

3. is the consuming of other breaths a trait of the divine breath or of the Returned?

---

unrelated:

4. Brandon has said that there were Spren (splinters) on Roshar BEFORE the arrival of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.

True or False?

1. upvote for Weiry on the Quote

2. can the divine breath be given away like other breaths can?

3. is the consuming of other breaths a trait of the divine breath or of the Returned?

---

unrelated:

4. Brandon has said that there were Spren (splinters) on Roshar BEFORE the arrival of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.

True or False?

1. Thanks

2. It's a theory but I don't think we have WoB on it.

3. I would say the Returned, since if they don't get a normal breath in a week they consume the divine one.

4. True, Adonalsium left behind Splinters that became spren.