Question and Answer

Zas678

They wouldn't have a past identity capable of unsettling them yet. Like a second language, they'd probably use it better than adult allomancers.

Also, I thought Vin snapped very young. Perhaps during childbirth. Though that's different from knowing and using those powers...

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't Blushweaver die from bleeding out? The reason you die from blood loss is because your body is no longer receiving any of the oxygen it carries. If Returned didn't need to breathe, I don't think they could die from bleeding out.

This could be explained differently in the cosmere, though - your blood seems to be the source of your connection to your spiritual aspect (and so Hemalurgic spikes need to touch blood in order to steal pieces of your sDNA). I agree that it might be a bit of a stretch, however.

Maybe Returned don't need to breathe (or eat) because they're Investiture generates both the food and the oxygen, but they deliver the magic power to the individual cells through the blood (if that makes any sense).

I don't know how to word this properly but here goes. Allomancy = Preservation, Hemalurgy = Ruin, and Feruchemy = Preservation + Ruin. Theoretically, Before he was killed and his shard shattered, if he were to go to Scadrial and invest his power into it, would there be an additional 4 magic systems? Honor, Honor + Preservation, Honor + Ruin, and Honor + Preservation + Ruin?

Do they choose whether their magic systems combine or does it just happen?

Hopefully this question is understandable.

Is there a particular order we should be reading these books in?  I know they can all be read separately but in terms of timeline, is there a good order?  I'm guessing since Elantris was written first it should be read first?

I've only read the Mistborn Trilogy and Stormlight Archive so far.

Is there a particular order we should be reading these books in?  I know they can all be read separately but in terms of timeline, is there a good order?  I'm guessing since Elantris was written first it should be read first?

I've only read the Mistborn Trilogy and Stormlight Archive so far.

For the most part, the books have been published in a chronological order. As you said, though, most of them do not overlap too much story wise so except for maybe reading warbreaker before the WoR, you can read them in whatever order you'd like and won't be at a loss.

I don't know how to word this properly but here goes. Allomancy = Preservation, Hemalurgy = Ruin, and Feruchemy = Preservation + Ruin. Theoretically, Before he was killed and his shard shattered, if he were to go to Scadrial and invest his power into it, would there be an additional 4 magic systems? Honor, Honor + Preservation, Honor + Ruin, and Honor + Preservation + Ruin?

Do they choose whether their magic systems combine or does it just happen?

Hopefully this question is understandable.

Your question is understandable. Brandon has previously said there would be a potential for more systems. Keep in mind that there's three Shards on Roshar and only three systems of magic, though. Here's the WoB:

Chaos

Let's say hypothetically we get Ruin, Preservation, and Endowment to create a planet. Would there be *more* magic systems due to Endowment's involvement (think permutations), or would this specifically not work at all?

Brandon Sanderson

It could work. There is the potential for more magic systems.

Our current best-guess (so far as I know) is the Intent Meshing theory. Essentially, certain Intents work well with each other (Devotion and Dominion) and 'mesh', so they only create one system. But the wildly differing Shards - Ruin+Preservation, for example, do not have their Investiture mesh (or it only meshes a small bit), meaning they each get their own magic systems, plus a combination of their Investitures to form another system.

We can further say that Cultivation meshes very well with Honor and Odium (you can cultivate both), but Honor and Odium don't mesh, so we're going to get a system of Honor+Cultivation, Odium+Cultivation, and possibly a third system of Honor + Odium or of all three Shards.

The theory has very little to go on, but a good amount of predictive power. We should only find one magic system on planets with one Shard, and we should find at least one on planets with more than one Shard.

Edited by Moogle

Apologies if this has already been asked, but as a new-Cosmere (new, as in, new to trying to find all the Cosmere easter eggs, I've been reading Sanderson for years) I have been lurking and trying get a lot of information but there are a few things I haven't been able to find

1. How do we know Demoux is a Worldhopper? Have we seen him in other books, or is it a WoB?

2. Do we know why Worldhoppers are seemingly ageless (I would say immortal, but that might not be the case, but they do seem to not age)

3. This last one is seeing if anyone has any good guesswork, but do we know how people like Demoux or this mysterious Terriswoman found out about Worldhopping?

Thanks!

1. How do we know Demoux is a Worldhopper? Have we seen him in other books, or is it a WoB?

He's "Thinker" in the Purelake interlude in WoK. This is both from his appearance and nuberous WoB's on the matter.

2. Do we know why Worldhoppers are seemingly ageless (I would say immortal, but that might not be the case, but they do seem to not age)

We do not. It could be that worldhopping itself has some effects, or perhaps involves time-skipping.

Source:

ERIC LAKE ()

Can Hoid jump through time? If so, can Shards jump through time?

BRANDON SANDERSON
Hoid, so far, has only moved forward in time. He has not 'lived' all of those years, but has used some time dilation techniques. That said, he is far older (both in relative and real time) than a normal person can live.

Source:

MYCOLTBUG

Are there any ramifications beyond leaving one's world behind when they world hop to other worlds? IE physical ailment, aging, time travel lag X1000

BRANDON SANDERSON
Yes

3. This last one is seeing if anyone has any good guesswork, but do we know how people like Demoux or this mysterious Terriswoman found out about Worldhopping?

Well Demoux, at the very least, is a member of the Seventeenth Shard, so they might have found him, conceivably.

I have a question, which I suspect might have been in the book, so forgive me if I'm an idiot:

How do you pass (Pass? I think it's capitalized) a Seon bond to another person? My understanding of spren bonds is that this sort of bond should require Snapping. (In fact, because we know that a Seon bond would confer passive benefits on the human if they went to Roshar, I am 99% positive it should require Snapping.) Edit: Yeah, there's even this to back me up:

Question
Is the bond between a Seon and its master similar to the Nahel bond between a Surgebinder and his spren?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes.

I can't imagine people on Sel beat the person who is going to receive the Seon. Is it described anywhere in the book? Are there any WoBs on the matter?

For the moment, I'm guessing that the threshold of Snapping was lowered by Devotion and that they can perform a ritual or something which will automatically Snap the person, much like the mists of Scadrial.

Edited by Moogle

I don't see how Snapping has anything to do with this?  Anyway Brandon doesn't go into much depth, all that is said is that Seons can be Passed.  They definitely don't beat anyone, if I remember correctly both Raoden and Sarene received their Seons at birth?

Another option is that the strong regionality of Sel's magics just means that everyone already has a "magic slot" embedded in their souls from birth without the need for any additional tweaking to make them compatible with magic.

I don't see how Snapping has anything to do with this?  Anyway Brandon doesn't go into much depth, all that is said is that Seons can be Passed.  They definitely don't beat anyone, if I remember correctly both Raoden and Sarene received their Seons at birth?

Spren bonds require a spiritual connection, and Seon bonds are like spren bonds according to this WoB;

Question

Is the bond between a Seon and its master similar to the Nahel bond between a Surgebinder and his spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

To get this sort of link, you need a 'wounded' spirit, as this WoB implies:

Kchan

How does Snapping work after Sazed changed it? If you don't want to reveal it all right now, are there any hints you can give us?

Brandon Sanderson

He couldn't get rid of this entirely. I don't want to spoil things, but Snapping was built into Allomancy primarily because of larger-scale magical issues. This is getting deep into the issue, but it has to do with a person's spiritual makeup and a 'wounded' spirit being easier to fill with something else, kind of like a cut would let something into the bloodstream. Sazed made this threshold on Scadrial much easier to obtain.

To 'fill' a spirit with a bond to a Seon or spren, you need a wounded spirit, or so is my interpretation. I feel Devotion might have what Sazed did and lowered the threshold required to 'Snap' enough to get a Seon, though, which means Passing a Seon could probably just require a flick on the ear or something.

Another option is that the strong regionality of Sel's magics just means that everyone already has a "magic slot" embedded in their souls from birth without the need for any additional tweaking to make them compatible with magic.

Something along the lines of Breath, then? I'm not so certain of this theory, but it's possible I guess.

I might accept it if only Aonic people could bond with Seons, though. I don't think there's a WoB on that, though, and Hrathen bonded a Seon, which seems to disprove the idea.

I'll add the question to the Ultimate List, I guess.

Edited by Moogle