voidbringers  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the voidbringers?

• Parshmen
    • Aimians
    • chasmfiends
    • Other
    • unknown

Also... I hate to be "that guy" of old, but isn't this title a little... spoiler-y?

I do not think it is a problem - (this forum's) spoiler policy requires us to tread lightly for, I think, 6 months after a book's release. It's been way more than that for The Way of Kings where Jasnah stipulates the same thing, and even Words of Radiance came out 7 months ago. If you haven't read either one of them, and you are reading this forum... well, it's your fault for running into spoilers.

On topic, I thought about this a lot back when Words of Radiance came out, and I don't think this will be one of the plot twists of the series. For one, we already had a "everybody thought the Voidbringers were some evil monsters, but they turned out to be our own Parshmen - what a shocker!" kind of plot twist. And while Brandon has been known to do double misdirection (looking at you, Mistborn), I doubt he'll do it here. The Parshendi's voidforms fit too well - they bond with spren whose Investiture comes from Odium, Shardplate seems designed specifically to counter their abilities, and we have Jasnah's research to work with. If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's probably not a cyborg that imitates a duck.

I find it very unlikely it's "the Parshmen". That's way too simple. 

Parshmen are likely involved. As Kobold King pointed out, there are likely many kinds. One of Odium's tendencies seems to be to corrupt what is already there. The storm form Parshendi, the corrupted spren in Dalinar's vision etc. I see no reason why it wouldn't affect humans, Aimians, etc. You could argue that the Alethi are pretty close from the start. I imagine we'll eventually see human voidbinders as well.

I find it suspicious that there are no Voidbringers in Dalinar's visions and no mention of Parshendi/Parshmen, but as was said before - corrupted Parshmen are probably one form. I think in the end it will depend on what definition of Voidbringers becomes canon. Pre-WoR I was thinking about such a potential plot-twist of the plot-twist, but Brandon doesn't do anything for the shock value and

I'm convinced stormform and probably some others as well are result of Odium's spren (do we call them all voidspren? I'm not sure), so even if Parshmen aren't the main Voidbringers, they are certainly part of them. 

You're talking chasmfiends, but what about the Reshi islands? They are something alive and probably spren are involved, too. It would be terrible if they turned into Voidbringers...

Long story short, I think there are a few (if not many) type of Voidbringers and Parshmen can become one (or more) kind of Voidbringers. Like how Windrunners are KR, but not all KR are Windrunners.

Long story short, I think there are a few (if not many) type of Voidbringers and Parshmen can become one (or more) kind of Voidbringers. Like how Windrunners are KR, but not all KR are Windrunners.

*ahem* I've got a theory on that down in the signature.

I'm also putting my money on "there are several kinds".

I now remember having made a dream a while ago that revealed that while listeners could become voidbringers, if they resisted it instead they could assurge to a higher status, of which i don't remember anything. Ah, well, an almost-faded dream is not a good base for speculation anyway.

Also... I hate to be "that guy" of old, but isn't this title a little... spoiler-y?

given that  it's been 7 months since the book release, I'm surprised they didn't merge the forums yet.

I do not think it is a problem - (this forum's) spoiler policy requires us to tread lightly for, I think, 6 months after a book's release. It's been way more than that for The Way of Kings where Jasnah stipulates the same thing, and even Words of Radiance came out 7 months ago. If you haven't read either one of them, and you are reading this forum... well, it's your fault for running into spoilers.

On topic, I thought about this a lot back when Words of Radiance came out, and I don't think this will be one of the plot twists of the series. For one, we already had a "everybody thought the Voidbringers were some evil monsters, but they turned out to be our own Parshmen - what a shocker!" kind of plot twist. And while Brandon has been known to do double misdirection (looking at you, Mistborn), I doubt he'll do it here. The Parshendi's voidforms fit too well - they bond with spren whose Investiture comes from Odium, Shardplate seems designed specifically to counter their abilities, and we have Jasnah's research to work with. If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's probably not a cyborg that imitates a duck.

Thank you. I did not want to spoil for anyone

Edited by missionaryofgod

• Chaos locked this topic