Magic Systems (Forum Game)

Shivertongue

Lets see how well this works. I'm not even sure if General Discussion is the right place, but if it isn't I can move my own thread. So nyah. Not like we have a games thread anyway...

When someone else made a post about forum games, I thought it'd be a good idea to come up with some that are Brandon-inspired. As we all know, Brandon Sanderson is known for his clever and innovative magic systems, from Oculation in the Alcatraz books to the numerous systems within The Stormlight Archive. This gave me an idea.

The idea is simple, even if the execution might not be. The first person (which would be me) posts a word or an idea, and the next poster has to create a magic system based around that idea.

For example:

Poster #1: Refrigerator Magnetic Poetry

Poster #2: Spells are cast through assembling the correct incantation with magnetic poetry tiles. These tiles are placed on a portable metal clipboard of some kind, which direct the magic like a wand. Only heavier.

Yes, that example was lame. These systems do not need to be complex in any way - you can post a few lines or an entire paragraph if you wish. It's all up to you.

After you've posted, leave something for next person to make a system off of. Try and be clever or funny, and remember, it doesn't even have to be logical - nobody will judge you on how good it is. Well, we probably will, but it's all in good fun.

And who knows, maybe this will spark an idea for an aspiring writer out there :)

As first poster, I have no magic system to create. However, I do get to start things off, and the next poster has to create a magic system based off of:

Those Crusty Things You Find In The Corners of Your Eyes When You Wake Up.

I got one!  Using the magic has little limitations, but a cost, it deprives you of your senses for different amounts of time based on how powerful the magic is.  Using a spell to lift something could crust your eyes over for a few minutes, or make your legs numb.  If the spell is too strong, you can go permanently blind or simply be reduced to a comatose state.  This could lead to a situation where, in order to perform some massive magic to save the world, the caster would be reduced to a vegetable.

And my idea IS:

DVD Magic, using both the discs and the player

This is a powerful form of plant magic. Use of dandelion fluff allows you to manipulate smaller land-based plants by threatening to choke them with weeds, while the corks are used for aquatic plant life, and involve providing water purification.

Pizza and buffalo blood

The native Americans were right to think that drinking blood makes you stronger, but not just blood.  Any red liquid, from food coloring to pizza sauce will give the drinker the power of astral projection!  But that's not all!  Other colors give you different abilities.

A Fortress Made Entirely Out Of Cabinets!

The drawers are gateways to other worlds, and other sources of magic. Drawercerors collect these magical cabinets, and use them to construct strongholds, giving them ready access to whatever they need - providing they are near the proper cabinet when they need it. Some grant access to worlds of mighty beasts, some to dimensions of storage, while others to sources of magic that can be tapped.

The drawback is that to gain this great power, one must place their soul into an untainted cabinet. But if a Drawerceror's SoulCabinet is destroyed, they will be forced to wander the land in a state of undeath as one of the Empty Drawers...

Twitter.

Wait, I thought Twitter was already magic!  It's like telepathy!

Twitter is used as the battleground for epic magic duels.  People send tweets with Xs in them to do damage to the other person, who will eventually dissolve into nothingness if you get in enough.  The more followers you have, the greater force you can exact on your enemies.

1000 Page Books

Broken pay phones cannot make out going calls, but instead spout what seems to be nonsense gibberish when the phone is picked up. This is, in fact, a coded message which is essentially a recipe to cast certain spells. To learn a new ability, one has to locate one of these mythical pay phones, and decipher its message, but be warned, it will only tell you the correct way to do so once, repeat listening taints the incantation to backfire on the user.

Purple Monkey Dishwasher

A special method to killing a hydra, which prevents additional heads from growing out of the severed stumps. To pull this off, you need the bones of a firstborn platypus and a set of headphones consecrated by an initiate of Freya.

Clothespins

Culinary mages have long known the secrets contained within loaves of bread. Wheat breads contain vast repositories of energy for those with the skills to access it, but without the focus provided by white bread, that power cannot be concentrated into any usable form.

Cow bones and air conditioners

Many ancient traditions use cow bones in magic rituals, including rain dances.  This special brand of weather control has been influenced by modern technology, turning most air conditions into weather control devices.  The guy with the biggest thermostat wins.

The Little Volume Slider On Your Computer's Toolbar

Modern magic users, instead of using the outdated wand, use computers.  The Volume slider affects the amount of magical "volume" which is broadcast by the computers.  The higher the "volume", the easier it is to detect but also easier to cast spells and its converse;  The lower the "volume" is, the harder to detect but harder to cast spells.

Paper confetti and a desk cactus

• 3 weeks later...

The people were tragically called "Sympathetic eaters." It didn't matter where they were born, or who their parents were, these people became the nationality of the food they ate. Several went into the spy business (boom! Instant local!), some went into the culinary industry (people seem to make their culture's food best), and some became computer technicians (someone had to do it).

Killer Santa hat!

• 4 weeks later...

Magicians can manipulate water, but only while inebriated.  Towels are a preferred tool as they are flexible, hold lots of water and have a nice slap to them when they hit something.

Okay, my prompt is a little complicated.  I'm wondering if this is okay with the rules, so let me know if I'm crossing a line.

The next poster is to lay down ground rules for a magic system and leave a prompt, the poster after that develops those rules further and leaves their own prompt and the third poster has to use BOTH prompts.

Elemental Magic Without Telekinesis Style Control of the Elements

Magic can only be accessed while hiccuping. The longer the hiccups last, the greater the power of the magic. The magic itself is based off of blood rituals and sacrifices. Hiccuping Mages carry a special knife with them to draw blood and use it for a variety of spells.

Glass, the colour orange, and the letter G.

Spells are cast by breaking different combinations of different colors and shapes of glass. Orange glass is extremely valuable, because it's extremely difficult to get the right materials to color it orange and orange glass is also a magnifier of sorts for other colors - it makes the spells more powerful. Breaking a piece of glass shaped like the letter G causes the mage who broke it to grow, though which part of them grows is determined by the color of the glass. Theoretically, it's a bad idea to break any one color letter g unless you have several others.

Air Freshener, mirrors, hand soap, and dvd drives.

Yes, I might possibly have just walked past my bathroom before posting......

Unifying the five senses is the key to ultimate cosmic power. Thus, freshening the air, making sure you look awesome to everyone else, and making sure you wash your hands eventually give you this ultimate power. This ultimate power, unfortunately, only allows you to open an ancient artifact from a long lost civilization: a DVD drive.

Dr Pepper