It had been some time later before Matt finally made his way back to the heart of the camp. Some of the rest of us, realizing that it did none of us any good to starve ourselves, had started doling out what rations that were to be had.

"Okay everyone, I've been over our Lines and while they're not perfect, I think they might be sufficient. Here's what I suggest we do for now. I think that there's no need for us to be using any Lines of Vigor at this point. They're more likely to backfire on us and keep someone from doing their job rather than stopping any of the Forgotten amongst us. That just leaves us with Lines of Forbbidance, Lines of Making and Lines of Warding. I suggest we break off into two teams; those that will be making Lines of Making and those that will be creating Lines of Warding. This will increase the defenses of the camp greatly and there will be enough people double checking that those that were supposed to make Lines of Warding did as they were supposed to. If someone didn't, then they are likely one of our non-rithmatists or they were busy doing whatever the Forgotten do.'

"I believe this to be our best chance to keep our Lines strong and also hunt down the Forgotten hiding here. Now, since there's no one of sufficient rank here to take charge, I leave it up to a vote. What say you?"

As far as voting, I didn't place a vote earlier because as usual, going on Day One there isn't usually much to go on as far as actual suspicions. And the people so far who haven't been talking already have votes placed against them. And there'd be no point in just throwing a name out there, possibly either forcing a tie or causing a lynch. 

And as for the Sentry, with 15 people, there is a chance we might have it. It depends on the number of Forgotten. 4 is a good estimate to work off of to guess how many we have. But also considering the Forgotten can get up to 2 kills a night, with the wild chalkings, 3 forgotten could make sense also. Because as more Rithmatsts get killed, the less that other ones will be able to use their actions, which will put as even more of a handicap. So 3 is a good possibility, I think. But if we do have 4 Forgotten, then I'm pretty sure we would have a Sentry to help balance the Lines of Warding out. 

With no PMs, making any sort of plans will be rather difficult, and, as I always warn, the more specific and open we make our plans, the easier it becomes for the Forgotten to circumvent what we're trying to do. With trying to coordinate on how to plan out the use of Rithmatists using Lines of Warding, it will be tricky, definitely. I actually have no actual ideas on how we can most effectively set that up. :/ But of course, the less individuals get singled out on what they can do/will be doing, the better overall, for their safety.

Edit: Added RP

Dig sat up and glared furiously at Ronald, rubbing the back of his head that he had bumped into the ground when the short man had tied him up, gagged him, and unceremoniously dumped him down in the middle of the bickering group. A subtle way to tell him to participate in the conversation.

The foolish dwarf berated him and accused him of suspicion of digging holes, not even realizing that he had dumped Dig right next to a hole. Fire pits were always dug out, here on the Nebrask Isles where the winds and storms could grow fierce. Dig shook his head.

Ronald hadn't even left his attention on Dig as he untied himself, instead going off and finding some other person to accuse of being a Forgotten, so Dig found his anger fading as he got to his feet and brushed himself off. He looked around at everybody else, and could tell some people were waiting for who he was going to name. He took a big breath.

As he opened his mouth everybody seemed to lean in, their attention all on him. "Dig a hole?" He asked, inviting them to join in his crusade. Unfortunately, none of them understood. Some even called him a fool, so Dig just adopted his usual grin and jaunty gait, and strode off.

"Dig a hole, dig a hole." His mantra faded as he walked away. Going to go do what he did best.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

OOC: Well nice to see the game getting off to a nice start! I'll be back on later to get a vote and discussion of in-thread activity so far, but right now I just have a few questions, I think.

What does 'The Stack' look like for this game? What are the Order of Actions? How would multiple Lines of Vigor work? Say player A hits player B with a Line of Vigor, but Player C hits players A with a Line of Vigor also. Who all gets their actions cancelled?

Does the Non-Rithmatist chose what Advanced Rithmatics skill their target gets, or does that person get both? What happens if they target a non-Rithmatist to teach?

Is this game 'Role-Madness'? Where we can assume everybody has roles? Or would that be a PAFO? (Play and Find Out)

Also, a completely out-of-game question. Thinking about it, with lines of warding being able to be drawn and everything, and on a flat surface..... Just how awesome would a Rithmatist Tower Defense Game be? O.o

Question answering time:

• Lines of Vigor are fired at the exact same time, so they can't be interrupted. In your example, Player B would still have his action canceled. The order of actions is Vigor, then Forbiddance, Warding, and Silencing, then Kills (Revocation, Forgotten kills, Chalkling Attack) then finally Lines of Making.
  • The non-Rithmatist's target learns both skills. If a non-Rithmatist hits another non-Rithmatist, they will be informed their action didn't go through, but they won't be told whether they were hit with a Line of Vigor, or if they targeted the wrong person.
  • This game is Role-Madness. I mean, we're an elite squad of Rithmatists. That should give you a clue of how many roles there are this game.
  • And yes, a Rithmatist Tower Defense Game would be amazing

Even more clarifications:

• Will players be told if they have too many or too few lines of Warding? You will not be told that information. You will know if you didn't have enough if a bunch of chalklings attack the camp.
  • If Player A hits Player B with a Line of Vigor, and Player C uses a Line of Making on Player B, what will be the result? Player C will be told that Player B was not  using Lines of Forbiddance or Warding, even if that was what he was trying to do. If Player C was an Artist however, they would learn what action their target was trying to do.
  • Is there a distinction between wild chalkling attacks and the Forgotten kill in the write-up? YES!

Also, I think I messed up my timezones. The cycle is ending at 9:00 AM Central Time on Tuesday. I double checked with Google, and that is 2 PM Tuesday in GMT. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by a smart guy

I like the half-and-half plan. 

How about this? Those in Cycle 1 will make Lines of Warding this cycle and the others will do it next cycle while we alternate Lines of Making. 

Cycle 1

1. (The Only Joe) Joel, a Long time soldier at Nebrask
  2. (Araris Valerian) Tavi, a troublesome, but bright young man.
  3. (Alvron) Ronald, a Short man with White hair and piercing blue eyes.
  4. (AonarFaileas) Aaron, a Graduate of Académie de Montréal.
  5. (Tulir) Rlint, a Dirty Conner a Policeman.
  6. (Mailliw73) Will, a Blonde Male.
  7. (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a new Soldier.

Cycle 2

1. (Wyrmhero) Wyatt, a Senior Soldier
  2. (Elend'sSecondCousin) Dui, a JoSeun Immigrant who eats chalk.
  3. (Kasimir) Samuel Kessen, a man who hates the JoSeun way of life.
  4. (Gamma Fiend) Dig, a Digger.
  5. (pir2h) Chase Tearing, a Rithamantic Murderer.
  6. (Metacognition) Matt, a man seen through the eyes of others.
  7. (Twelvethrootoftwo) Tory Farth, a man who exists
  8. (Ashiok) Aaron Roddy, A Baseball Coach

Edit: And, Meta, I was talking about the underlined words. It looks like a code to me.

Edited by Mailliw73

Chase kept silent as she watched the people talk, considering. If they offered too many suggestions, they might be Forgotten. But if they didn't offer any suggestions, they might also be Forgotten. Chase glared at the troops. Any one of them could be a liar. A traitor, to the cause of the Rithmatists.

No matter what those who found out the truth thought about her, she did care for the Rithmatists as a whole. But the twist of fate, the fact of life she had to deal with, was that some of them weren't worthy. They manipulated the ceremony, some how. The art of Rithmatics, was, well, an art. It was beautiful. It was amazing, and she was part of it.

Chase put her purple chalk away. She had been scratching at it subconsciously, thinking about the past did that. Chase unhooked the jar of acid from her belt, and then hooked it back. The acid rolled back and forth inside its container. She was careful, on Nebrask she had gotten used to being surprised. After the first incident on her way to the camp, she'd almost been trapped by a wild chalking who had gotten out. Quick drawing had saved her, but after that, she'd kept some acid with her. Rithmatics weren't the only answer to every problem. 

Chase drew her hair back in a ponytail, after the hair tie had fallen out. Strange. She hadn't noticed until now. Chase looked into the group and stared people in the eye, one at a time. Some people looked away. Strange things happened when such an odd group clumped together. Not everyone trusted her, but she didn't trust everyone. Especially Meta. Chase stared him down. He'd been talking too much, and Chase didn't like that.

Ronald walked into the camp holding a large cake with 15 lit candles on top.  Carefully making his way over to Aaron Roddy he put the seven layered cake on the table that Joel had set up earlier.

"Make a wish Roddy so we can get this party started."

With that over, Ronald hauled out some of the supplies they had and dug out a couple of bottles of whiskey.  "Drinks anyone?"

Happy 15th Birthday Ashiok.  Couldn't find out where you live so don't know if its the 21st where you are but here in NZ your birthday party has already started.

Edited by Alvron

"Hmm... What to wish for? Ok, Rithmatic baseball is my new headcanon. Teams are drawn by one person, and those people are called team-makers or TMs. Well, I would like very much to become a professional Team-Maker and meet all my favorite TMs. On a more serious note, who shall we kill today? Unless the answer to the question below is yes, we should probably go for __________, whoever that is/was..." Roddy said, then blew out the candles. "Also, I'll have to pass on the beer. Underage and all, y'know?"

GM: Does the chalking kill prioritize inactives? Or how else is inactivity dissuaded?

Well, partly in response to Kas, who should have noticed that I usually post plans on day one that haven't been fully thought through, I would like to justify my thoughts and so forth. If we don't coordinate then we won't learn anything and we cannot try and find inconsistencies and so forth, and most liekly we wont get enough lines of warding to stop the chalklings. In the worst (or best) case scenario, if there are 4 forgotten, then they can use 3 lines of vigor. In addition, if we select those people to draw lines of warding, then they can remove 2 defense each. (One for not drawing and one for the line of vigor) So, if we pick 7 people, 4 of whom are forgotten, then theoretically we could end up with 0 defense, or 1 with a sentry. So the worst case scenario would have us draw probably 11 lines of warding. Again assuming 4 forgotten, we still need 4-1+3 = 6 lines of warding if no forgotten make it into our selection. Most likely a random selection of 7/8 people will have 2 forgotten, and of the remain 5/6 people 3 of their lines can be canceled by lines of vigor. So, if we pick 8 people to draw, get the average number of 2 forgotten and have a sentry in our group then we will just make the cut. I can see now why Kas was nervous about discussing who draws the lines of warding, because coordinating lets the forgotten remove 3 of our lines automatically.

I propose that we go ahead and pick 8 people to draw lines of warding. That should give us decent chances of not having a chalkling attack, and should also let several people us lines of making, and if the chalklings do get through, then we can have a good idea of how many forgotten were in the pool of people that we making lines of warding.

Hmm. First off, Maill, I have a few questions about your plan. (Just splitting the group in half and having people alternate Making and Warding.)

1. Coordination. If you leave things the way they are, and let people just make chalklings at random, we'll have overlap. Overlap is bad, because it lets the Forgotten hide.

2. Effectiveness.

a. Preventing wild chalkling kills. Three-four Forgotten, an unknown amount of non-Rithmatists, and two-three possible Lines of Vigor mean that seven Lines of Warding really don't make for much of a buffer. However, if the Forgotten choose to utilize their powers with the greatest possible efficiency to force a chalkling kill, they expose themselves to Artists and those making chalklings. This leads to the next point.

b. Finding Forgotten. Ignoring overlap and associated problems for a moment, the Forgotten may well chose not to bother forcing a chalkling kill this cycle, making the use of Lines of Making redundant. A Forgotten who is a part of the group expected to make chalklings will make the kill, and the others will make either Lines of Warding or Lines of Forbiddance. (As they read the same unless you are an Artist.)

I'm not saying we shouldn't go through with the plan, (it's the best that has been suggested so far) but it should be fleshed out a little more.

Edited by AonarFaileas

Remember, Dui is no longer here. GM, if he deleted his account, what are we gonna do with him in the game?

If he just straight up dies, that puts us to 14. even 7 and 7. I'm number 14, so I'd sic a chalkling on number seven, number 13 on number 6, 12 on 5, ect... 

Essentially, I agree with the plan and am proposing an addendum.

"Well, technically, it was my plan," Matt mumbled as he plopped down next to me. "But at least they're doing something and considering that Will divided everyone according to the roster instead of switching anything up, I have no problems with the proposed set up. We'll need those Lines of Vigor for ourselves eventually, but this should help give us an idea of where to go from here."

I didn't know what to say, so I just shrugged and passed him some rations. Those he accepted with a grin and nod of thanks. We sat in silence for awhile, waiting as the rest of the platoon argued over the semantics and watched the sun starting to set in the distance. I was probably the most peaceful moment we'd had all day and it gave me hope. 

Aonar: Meta

Chase: Tavi

Jain: Joel

Dui: Alvron, Wyrm, Roddy, Rlint

Kas: Aonar

Alvron: Will

Tavi: Kas

Current Vote Count.  I would like to here what is going to happen with Dui.  If he is truly going to be inactive and dropping out of the game, but nothing game-wise will happen to him, I will cast a vote at him.

Voting to kill a new player who is inactive seems a little cruel to me, but frankly I'm as confused as hell by what's going on there. If we still had time, I'd change my vote and point out that this would be a waste of our lynch, considering inactives don't matter.

However, it has suggested a bit of a lynch train going on. I get that he's basically out of the game, but why lynch him instead of ignoring him and trying to go for someone else? At the very least, we don't need another two votes to ensure that lynch.

As for the plan, it makes sense. Splitting half-and-half is a good way to do it arbitrarily - unless Mailliw's a Forsaken and it benefits them in some way to stick with that, but I see that as being a little too coincidental. So yes, as I say, I agree with that division.

chalkling_knight.png

As tensions rose in the camp, suspicions were thrown about the camp. Many names were voiced, but eventually, they suspected Dui, who was sitting by himself, nervously eating chalk.

"Dui" gently asked Ronald, "do you have any suspicions?"

Dui started shaking. His mouth tried to make words, but it couldn't speak them. He turned to look at the group, not comprehending what was happening. Suddenly, he screamed, pulled out a knife, and charged at the group. Before anyone could react he stabbed Matt once, then twice. Chalkling started streaming out of his body as he began to charge at Matt's confidant. They wrestled, and Matt's friend took the knife, and plunged it into the JoSeun man's heart. It was too late for him though. He was covered in chalklings, and they were hungry. The camp fought them back, but not before he died. The camp went back to their tents, sick to their stomachs. They had killed another Forgotten, but he was too dumb to be the leader. They went back to their tents, hoping that tomorrow would bring better news.

Dui (Elend'sSecondCousion/______) was a Forgotten!
Matt (Metacognition) was an Artist!

Vote Count:
Aaron F: Matt (1)
Chase: Tavi (1)
Jain: Joel (1)
Dui: Ronald, Wyatt, Aaron R, Rlint (4)
Kessen: Aaron F (1)
Ronald: Will (1)
Tavi: Kessen (1)

Player List:

• (The Only Joe) Joel, a Long time soldier at Nebrask
  • (Araris Valerian) Tavi, a troublesome, but bright young man.
  • (Alvron) Ronald, a Short man with White hair and piercing blue eyes.
  • (AonarFaileas) Aaron, a Graduate of Académie de Montréal.
  • (Tulir) Rlint, a Dirty Conner a Policeman.
  • (Mailliw73) Will, a Blonde Male.
  • (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a new Soldier.
  • (Wyrmhero) Wyatt, a Senior Soldier
  • (Elend'sSecondCousin) Dui, a JoSeun Immigrant who eats chalk. Forgotten
  • (Kasimir) Samuel Kessen, a man who hates the JoSeun way of life.
  • (Gamma Fiend) Dig, a Digger.
  • (pir2h) Chase Tearing, a Rithamantic Murderer.
  • (Metacognition) Matt, a man seen through the eyes of others. Artist
  • (Twelvethrootoftwo) Tory Farth, a man who exists
  • (Ashiok) Aaron Roddy, A Baseball Coach

This cycle will end 48 hours from now. So, 9:00 AM Central Time, 2:00 PM GMT, on Thursday.

Edited by Alvron

So we have a Forgotten Dead. That's good. 2-3 left.

As for the People who voted for Dui,

Alvron was the first to vote for Dui, as he and Mailliw had yet to post.

Wyrm voted for him next, promising to lift his vote if he posted.

Ashiok voted for him next, also because he was inactive.

Tulir voted for him last, saying "If he is truly going to be inactive and dropping out of the game, but nothing game-wise will happen to him, I will cast a vote at him."

I don't think Wrym, Ashiok or Alvron are forgotten. They have nothing to gain by killing one of their own early on, as it just means less people have to make Lines of Warding. As for Tulir, there's a small chance he's a Forgotten who killed him because he saw it as inevitable, but I doubt it.

So My 6 highest suspects are below. These 6 are only Suspects because I haven't found anything that makes me believe they're Innocent. The Other's I've ruled out for Various reasons. 

(Araris Valerian) Tavi,

(AonarFaileas) Aaron, 

(Lightsworn Panda) Jain, 

(Kasimir) Samuel Kessen,

(Gamma Fiend) Dig, 

(Twelvethrootoftwo) Tory Farth, 

Meta was an Artist? That's a painful first death... I'm not surprised that we lost him first, considering it's Meta, but the fact that he happened to have such a useful role, particularly for him, that just makes it worse. I don't think we can figure much out from why he died, but it's still useful to think about the how, as it were.

As he was an Artist, I can probably only imagine that he'd do one of two things: Line of Forbiddance, or Line of Making. In the second case, he'd just have to be attacked, but the first one is more interesting. In order to get through a Line of Forbiddance, the Forgotten would have to have used a Line of Vigor as well.

I'm not sure which he's more likely to do - Forbiddance to attempt to stay alive longer, or risk a Making to get information for the next Cycle, even if it meant revealing that he was an Artist. But if he did Forbiddance, then it suggests that the Forgotten are doing something similar to the Mutineers in QF2, and are preventing defences from happening with their kills. But again, that depends on how cautiously he was playing this game, and I can't really guess that. But it's still useful to note the possibilities.

Anyway, at least our lynch came through for us, even if he was inactive. When I noted previously that lynching an inactive wouldn't really make a difference for us, I'd forgotten that the strength of Wild Chalkling attacks was equal to their number, so we do actually have some leeway now with regards to the camp defences - not that we should become complacent or anything about it, considering we have no idea how many Sentries or Rithmatists we have.

Regarding the votes for Dui during the previous Cycle, I would like to hear why Ashiok and Tulir joined in. While it's worked out well for us, I don't think we needed to lynch an inactive so badly that it should have garnered another two votes. Particularly when Tulir posted about two/three hours before the deadline ended. That seems a little like an Eliminator jumping on the lynch of an ally to 'prove' their innocence. While neither Tulir or Ashiok have particularly done anything else that makes me notably suspicious of them, I'd still like to hear their reasoning - Tulir's more than Ashiok's, considering the lateness of Tulir's vote.

Smart, regarding thread-merging, the mods are the only ones who can do that, so when Gamma or Meta come online, they'll just do it for you. Also, sorry to be a pain again, but could I please request that the people who voted are either all shown by username or all by character name in the writeup? It's just a little confusing to follow when it's a mix. Thanks.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Regarding the votes for Dui during the previous Cycle, I would like to hear why Ashiok and Tulir joined in. While it's worked out well for us, I don't think we needed to lynch an inactive so badly that it should have garnered another two votes. Particularly when Tulir posted about two/three hours before the deadline ended. That seems a little like an Eliminator jumping on the lynch of an ally to 'prove' their innocence. While neither Tulir or Ashiok have particularly done anything else that makes me notably suspicious of them, I'd still like to hear their reasoning - Tulir's more than Ashiok's, considering the lateness of Tulir's vote.

I'm pretty sure I voted closer to 9 hours before the deadline, but yes, the last vote on an Eliminator is always suspicious.  My logic might have been odd, and I understand if people mistrust me now.

I'm pretty sure I voted closer to 9 hours before the deadline, but yes, the last vote on an Eliminator is always suspicious.  My logic might have been odd, and I understand if people mistrust me now.

The timestamp I see says 5:30 AM (correcting for GMT), and the first post of Cycle 1 said it was meant to be over at 8 AM. This Cycle didn't start for another six hours though, so you're right about that. But are you not going to say anything other than that it might have been odd though? I mean, I do find it a little odd, you're right, and I'd like a little more than that before I think about changing my vote.