Tammy Kingswright surveyed her platoon of soldiers. She had requested twenty highly-trained Rithmatists. However, she had only gotten thirteen. That boded well. She sighed; there wasn't anything she could do about it now. They had lost too many good men. Still, she had to put on a good face.

"Alright folks, listen up! The weather report is in, and it doesn't look good. We've been assigned to the front lines, and we leave tomorrow morning. We might get reinforcements, but somehow I doubt it. Still, we've got a job to do, so let's get on it. Camp dismissed!"

She turned away, and headed to her tent. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

Bart's game is wrapping up, so it's time for this one to get started. This game will start on Sunday at 9:00 AM Central Time, even if LG8 is still going on. If you still haven't signed up yet, now is the time to do so.

I looked to Matt after Kingswright's announcement and we broke rank. 

He just shrugged and said, "It is what it is. This is why we're here. We'll still do what we came here to do. Reinforcements or not, the line has to hold, so we'll freaking hold it or die trying!"

"...For Sasha's sake," he said in a whisper.

I didn't have his confidence. In fact, I was so afraid, my whole body was shaking! I didn't have his motivation either, but I knew that no matter what, I'd follow him to the front. His eyes burned with a zeal that I had never seen before in anyone. 

I was entranced. He'd either lead us to ruin or victory; of that I was sure. Which it would be was up to be seen. Though, if I admit it to myself, I partially stayed to sadistically see which it would be.

Chase walked into the camp. She stared around, looking for an enemy. Ever since that night, years ago, she had been nervous to come to Nebrask. She acted confidant with others, but she feared that others would find out about her secret. It wasn't a stupid fear, it had happened before. Three times, and she had been forced to kill to preserve her secret. She didn't like it, but secrets had to stay secret. Here on Nebrask, things would be different. Chase looked around the camp. Was anyone out? Chase pulled her purple chalk out of her pocket. 

"Hello mate! What're you here for?" The sentry called out from a distance away, hand ready on his rifle.

"Aaron Falaise, here to join Kingswright's platoon. Springrail was running a little behind." Liar.

The sentry gave a short chuckle. "More than a little, I'd say. Where're you from?"

"L'Académie de Montréal." Another lie. Do you think they can tell?

"Ah. Parlez-vous bien le français?"

Aaron raised an eyebrow. "Oui, je parle très bien le français." Not much of a confirmation question, but it was probably all the French that the sentry knew.

The sentry relaxed slightly. "There's probably space to set up your tent over there, after you check in with Kingswright," he said, gesturing with his gun. "Don't get too comfortable though. I've heard that your platoon is shipping out to the Tower pretty soon."

"Thanks." Hefting his pack and walking towards Kingswright's tent, Aaron breathed an internal sigh of relief. That went well. You've obviously gotten better at this. I wonder what they'd do if you let slip the truth? If you told them what you are?

A flicker of annoyance crossed Aaron's features. Shut up. I'm not listening to you right now. He shook his head, trying to banish that nagging voice in his head. It wouldn't be silent for long. It never was. 

You miscounted there, Sart. Thirteen Fifteen players (Joe's List is missing Twei and Ash), plus Meta's unnamed first/third person adjacent perspective character (is there actually a proper name for that sort of narration? :P). So I guess I'm showing up late. 

Edited by AonarFaileas

You miscounted there, Sart. Thirteen Fifteen players (Joe's List is missing Twei and Ash), plus Meta's unnamed first/third person adjacent perspective character (is there actually a proper name for that sort of narration? :P). So I guess I'm showing up late. 

Storms! I didn't even think that Joe's list could have an error on it. Now I need to re-balance the roles. The write-up might be a little bit late tomorrow because of that.

Probably not a good term to use for it, since the second person narrative/perspective/view is always "you" and related pronouns. Guess we'll have to stick with first-person adjacent or something along those lines.

Samuel sketched circles idly in the chalk dust on the practice yard, tracing them with the tip of his finger as he wondered if it was too late to change his mind. One of the professors back in Espania had been an Isles man, and he'd spoken of service on Nebrask as one of those pain-in-the-chalk stages that a Rithmatist on the Isles had to go through. The picture was a dark one; crouching to redraw chalk defenses again and again and repelling wild chalklings. The thin white line, or so they told him, between civilisation and the encroaching threat that awaited them on Nebrask.

"Thin white line," Samuel said aloud, shaking his head. Only Isles people used white chalk. In the JoSeun controlled territories, they were to use yellow chalk, for what it symbolised. Samuel had been all too glad to turn in the yellow chalk for the white. It just seemed as though he was shedding yet another layer of JoSeun shackles.

Even if the Isles didn't seem much better. The Monarch of Britannia had fled to the Isles in the face of the JoSeun threat, and brought with him whatever remained of the flame of Britannian culture. Back home, they'd lost too many things: JoSeun colonisation became swift and unrelenting. He was sick to death of JoSeun food. He was sick of having to wear the clothing of a foreign conqueror, to be reminded on a daily basis of what they had lost. And in the Isles, he was a stranger.

Samuel gave up and stood up. Enough circles. He'd draw enough of them on Nebrask, as it were.

Edited by Kasimir

*Meta didn't know what The Only Joe was talking about with this "2nd person view" stuff, but he assumed it was probably accurate. After all, someone claiming such a prestige position as the only of something couldn't possibly lie! Someone like that would never be wrong, especially about player counts! 

It could be some weird combination, but who was he to argue?

Instead of double checking, Meta spent his time rubbing his hands together in anticipation of the new game. It was only a matter of time anymore...*

Edited by Metacognition

chalkling_shark.png

Lighting flashed as the storm rolled in. The platoon had arrived just in time, but it didn't seem like they were making a difference. Their lines were being washed away as soon as they could draw them, and the wild chalklings were multiplying by the minute. Tammy rallied her troops with a commanding shout. They pushed deeper into the enemy ranks, trying to force the enemy back to the Tower. Tammy led the charge and they started making headway plunging into enemy lines.

Then, she stopped. The other members looked at her, unsure of what to do. Then she started laughing as her eyes turned black. The platoon instantly realized something was wrong, as hordes of wild chalklings began pouring out of her sleeves. Wyatt screamed, "Forgotten!" and charged her. She barely noticed him, as she concentrated on making as many chalklings as possible. He tried slapping her, and she fell down amongst a horde of chalklings. She laughed at him and tried to stand back up. She began speaking in a ghastly moan, "We are among you. We will destroy you!" As she was shouting, Rlint charged her with a bucket of acid. He threw it on her, and watched as she writhed in pain. She died, as a few last chalklings surged out of her body. Rlint and Wyatt were nearly surrounded, but the other soldiers rallied to their aid.

When the rain stopped, and the sun reappeared in the sky, the team knew something was horribly wrong. They were behind enemy lines, and no rescue was in site. Their charge, which had seemed like a good idea in the heat of battle, was revealed to have been a foolish move. Even worse, they knew that Forgotten were normally dumb creatures, so someone had to have been controlling Tammy. That someone was mostly likely someone in their platoon. As the sun began to set, the team drew a defensive perimeter, and they began to suspect one another. It wouldn't be long until innocent blood would be spilled, and there was always the threat of another attack. The team hunkered down, and began voicing their suspicions.

Mid-Range Game 3 is now active! Please keep non role-play in blue, and vote for who you think is evil in red. If you vote multiple times, I will only count your last vote. You don't have to green out votes that you're retracting, but it keeps things tidy, so I would recommend it.  Furthermore, in this game, the day and night cycles are combined, so make sure to send in your special action to me in a PM. If you're confused about any of the rules, please look at the rules in the main thread, and if that doesn't answer your question, feel free to shoot me a PM with your question in it. I think that's about it. Have fun!

Player List:

1. (The Only Joe) Joel, a Long time soldier at Nebrask
  2. (Araris Valerian) Tavi, a troublesome, but bright young man.
  3. (Alvron) Ronald, a Short man with White hair and piercing blue eyes.
  4. (AonarFaileas) Aaron, a Graduate of Académie de Montréal.
  5. (Tulir) Rlint, a Dirty Conner a Policeman.
  6. (Mailliw73) Will, a Blonde Male.
  7. (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a new Soldier.
  8. (Wyrmhero) Wyatt, a Senior Soldier
  9. (Elend'sSecondCousin) Dui, a JoSeun Immigrant who eats chalk.
  10. (Kasimir) Samuel Kessen, a man who hates the JoSeun way of life.
  11. (Gamma Fiend) Dig, a Digger.
  12. (pir2h) Chase Tearing, a Rithamantic Murderer.
  13. (Metacognition) Matt, a man seen through the eyes of others.
  14. (Twelvethrootoftwo) Tory Farth, a man who exists
  15. (Ashiok) Aaron Roddy, A Baseball Coach

This day will end at 8:00 AM GMT on Tuesday.

Edited by Alvron

Mid-Range Game 3 is now active! Please keep non role-play in blue, and vote for who you think is evil in red. If you vote multiple times, I will only count your last vote. You don't have to green out votes that you're retracting, but it keeps things tidy, so I would recommend it.  Furthermore, in this game, the day and night cycles are combined, so make sure to send in your special action to me in a PM. If you're confused about any of the rules, please look at the rules in the main thread, and if that doesn't answer your question, feel free to shoot me a PM with your question in it. I think that's about it. Have fun!

Could I request a list of players in a spoiler and the time when the Cycle ends (and timezone, preferably with how much ahead/behind GMT it is (slightly selfish request there, since I don't know other timezones :P)) in the writeups, please?

I suppose I should start what has been 'affectionately' termed 'The Wyrm Inquisition', since earlier is always better, particularly with these combined-Turn Cycles. I've seen Aonar floating around on here, but he hasn't posted, and has disappeared. Anything to say?

Edited by Wyrmhero

Hmm. So I guess that we have to do two things this cycle. 

1. Vote

2. Figure out how many lines we need, and who's making them.

To this end, Gm, can we please have a player list at the beginning of each cycle? I know I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I'm not starting any inquisitions today, I'm not very good at them day 1.

Here's the Current Player List. This Time I have everybody.

1. (The Only Joe) Joel, a Long time soldier at Nebrask
  2. (Araris Valerian) Tavi, a troublesome, but bright young man.
  3. (Alvron) Ronald, a Short man with White hair and piercing blue eyes.
  4. (AonarFaileas) Aaron, a Graduate of Académie de Montréal.
  5. (Tulir) Rlint, a Dirty Conner a Policeman.
  6. (Mailliw73) Will, a Blonde Male.
  7. (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a new Soldier.
  8. (Wyrmhero) Wyatt, a Senior Soldier
  9. (Elend'sSecondCousin) Dui, a JoSeun Immigrant who eats chalk.
  10. (Kasimir) Samuel Kessen, a man who hates the JoSeun way of life.
  11. (Gamma Fiend) Dig, a Digger.
  12. (pir2h) Chase Tearing, a Rithamantic Murderer.
  13. (Metacognition) Matt, a man seen through the eyes of others.
  14. (Twelvethrootoftwo) Tory Farth, a man who exsists
  15. (Ashiok) Aaron Roddy, A Baseball Coach

There's going to be a max of 4 forgotten, so we should try for 5 or so lines to be safe.

I'll save my vote for later, when there's more posts to look at.

Checking in briefly before I need to zzz. Joe's right, I reckon: if the usual ratio holds, about 3-4 forgotten, then it'd be best to stick to 5 or so lines of warding. Gives us room for error if we account for the Sentry's passive bonus to camp defense.

While we could decide who is making the lines (to avoid overlap), IMO, we end up with two other difficulties: 1. letting the Forgotten know who the defenseless people are (who can therefore be killed) and 2. potentially revealing who the Non-Rithmatist(s) are, which could be a bit risky, as they can't defend themselves, and it's possible that the Forgotten might simply want to get rid of a wildcard rather than trying to claim those Advanced Rithmatic powers.

One suggestion that I'm not entirely certain of is that if we run with the 5 lines suggestion, we could perhaps randomly divide the player list into blocs of three and have (at least) one person within the bloc of three use a line of warding, and then go from there. Only thing is, it still seems to be stymied by the lack of PM coordination (I think?)

Chase watched the rest of the group carefully. If the platoon leader, Tammy, had been the real brains in that operation, she would not have given herself up so easily. Someone in the group was the real traitor. Despite what some might say, Chase did care about other people. She just cared for herself first. Her purple chalk slipped out of her hand. She reached for it, quickly snapping it up. Chase's eyes made contact with Aaron Roddy. She didn't trust him, not one bit. Chase snapped her head away as he started to say something. She did not like him, something was off. He seemed almost deceptively useless. 

I'm here, mostly so that my first post isn't a reaction to a vote. I really don't like how people do that, since there isn't really a good way to respond if your first post is a reply to a vote. Anyway, I'll vote for Chase (pir2h), mostly because I want to get a feel for how he thinks and so forth and because the eliminators can hide behind inexperience.

O' Rithmatic Professor, (GM) Is the sentry role included?  In the sign-up thread it was stated that the Sentry would only be included if there was enough players.  So, is there enough for the sentry to make an appearance?

Ronald walked into the shambles they called camp.  Carried over his shoulder was Dig,  tied up and gagged.  Dumping him next to the fire pit, Ronald turned and stomped over to his temporary shelter.

"Caught him digging a hole.  Probably trying to make a tunnel to let the chalklings in to kill us while we sleep.'

No real reason to vote for Gamma other than I don't think I have ever voted for him in any game so far.  That and digging a tunnel under our defenses is not a very good idea.  :D  If that is what he was doing.

Edit: Colours.

Edit 2: Greened vote

Edited by Alvron

While all I could do was watch in horror as our platoon was left leaderless and behind enemy lines, Matt just sighed and squared his shoulders. 

"This is not a good time for panic," he said. "We need to shore up our defenses, if we want to survive and we're not going to be able to do that if we kill indiscriminately! First, lets assess what tools we have at our disposal. Then, once we have a plan to make it back to the front lines, then we can start hunting these forgotten!"

There are two Aarons, Jain. Ash and Aonar. So far, each one only has 1 vote. In fact, you're the one that's pushing things to the point of lynching so far!

Eliminating players on the first day is not the best idea there is.

In general, eliminating people is not a good thing to do, however on Day One, just going by the fact they are experienced shouldn't protect them.  Yes they would be a huge asset to the Villagers if they were good, but it is also likely that experienced players are Eliminators.  I am going to cast my vote at your for now, Jain, because of that statement, as well as Meta's point of that you brought it from a tie to a lynch, at least right now.

Edited by Tulir

There are two Aarons, Jain. Ash and Aonar. So far, each one only has 1 vote. In fact, you're the one that's pushing things to the point of lynching so far!

Pardon me if I misunderstand, but right now, I see to votes on Aonar (Wyrm and pir2h). I only see a vote on pir2h (Araris). I am merely trying to negate a lynch.

In general, eliminating people is not a good thing to do, however on Day One, just going by the fact they are experienced shouldn't protect them.  Yes they would be a huge asset to the Villagers if they were good, but it is also likely that experienced players are Eliminators.  I am going to cast my vote at your for now, Jain, because of that statement, as well as Meta's point of that you brought it from a tie to a lynch, at least right now.

And what if they're not an Eliminator? We would be losing an important player if that was the case. Are you trying to bandwagon me, Tulir? Understandable. I am, after all, an easy target and an erratic player.