chalkling_gear.png
Special Thanks to Ben McSweeney for making these icons and Awesomeness Summoned for making them available online.

On the Isle of Nebrask, there was one simple rule: keep the Circle whole. The Circle was a line of chalk, surrounding the island, containing the wild chalklings. If it broke, they could swarm out, and decimate the United Isles of America. On the Western Front, a new group of Rithmatists were gathering. Their mission was simple: if the line washed out, they had to repair it. Their commanding officer, Tammy Kingswright, addressed the group.

“We are defending our homeland today. The Circle may be holding today, but it could fall at any moment. A single raindrop could ruin our line, and destroy our way of life. We’re not going to allow that. Come rain or shine, we will protect this country! Now, who’s with me?”

Mid-Range Game 3 is now open for sign-ups! I’m looking for around 20 players, but the more the merrier. This game will start a day after Long Game 8 ends.

Rules:
Setting: You are part of a group of Rithmatists, battling wild chalklings in Nebrask. However, it appears some of your battalion actually support the chalklings, and are secretly trying to sabotage the front lines.

General Rules: This game has the day and night combined into one cycle. Players will vote on who to lynch in the thread, while sending the GM (me) their special action in PMs. PMs between players are not allowed in this game. Each Cycle will last 48 hours.

Rithmatics: To combat the chalklings, most soldiers (excluding Non-Rithmatists) use Rithmatics. Each day, you may do one of the following. However, you may not repeat the same action two cycles in a row.

• Line of Forbiddance: You protect yourself for the cycle. As long as this stays up, you can't be killed.
  • Line of Vigor: Cancel a target player's action.
  • Line of Making: You create a chalkling that will spy on a target player. Unfortunately, chalklings are extremely dumb and can only be given extremely basic commands. Chalklings will walk in a straight line and will only return to you if they run into a wall. If a player was using a Line of Warding or Forbiddance, you will be informed that they were protected. Otherwise, nothing will happen.
  • Line of Warding: The camp gains one defense for the cycle. (See below)

Advanced Rithmatics: You can substitute one of these for your special action, if you have been taught them.

• Line of Revocation: Kill a target player, as long as they aren't protected by a Line of Forbiddance. This is only available to Rithmatic Scholars.
  • Line of Silencing: Cancel a target player's vote.

Special Roles:

• The Forgotten: You command the wild chalklings, and you win once you outnumber the good-guys. Every night, instead of using Rithmatics, one of you can kill a target player. You are also immune to Wild Chalkling kills. Of course, you have access to a Google Doc to formulate plans.
  • Non-Rithmatist: You are clearly crazy. You sneaked onto the front-lines without having any powers! However, you have studied Rithmatics extensively, and have learned about Advanced Rithmatics. Once per game, you can give a target Rithmatist access to these powers.
  • Sentry: As long as you stay alive, you passively give the camp 1 defense. See below for details. You are also immune to the Wild Chalkling kill. This role will be added if we have enough players.
  • Artist: Because you can draw them so well, your chalklings are smarter. When you use Lines of Making, you will learn what special action your target did that turn.

Defense: Since the camp is on the front-lines, there is always the threat of wild chalklings invading. The power of the chalklings is equal to the number of Forgotten. The camps defense is equal to the number of people making Lines of Warding plus the Sentry bonus. If the power of the chalklings is greater than the defense of the camp, a random player is killed. This kill ignores Lines of Forbiddance. If the camp's defense is equal to, or greater than, the power of the chalklings, the camp doesn't lose a player.

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

Current Players:

1. (The Only Joe) Joel, a Long time soldier at Nebrask
  2. (Araris Valerian) Tavi, a troublesome, but bright young man.
  3. (Alvron) Ronald, a Short man with White hair and piercing blue eyes.
  4. (AonarFaileas) Aaron, a Graduate of Académie de Montréal.
  5. (Tulir) Rlint, a Dirty Conner a Policeman.
  6. (Mailliw73) Will, a Blonde Male.
  7. (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a new Soldier.
  8. (Wyrmhero) Wyatt, a Senior Soldier
  9. (Elend'sSecondCousin) Dui, a JoSeun Immigrant who eats chalk.
  10. (Kasimir) Samuel Kessen, a man who hates the JoSeun way of life.
  11. (Gamma Fiend) Dig, a Digger.
  12. (pir2h) Chase Tearing, a Rithamantic Murderer.
  13. (Metacognition) Matt, a man seen through the eyes of others.
  14. (Twelvethrootoftwo) Tory Farth, a man who exsists
  15. (Ashiok) Aaron Roddy, A Baseball Coach

I'm signing up as Joel (Not the Rithamist Main Character).

A man who served ten years, then stayed to keep serving, having no family to return to on the other Isles.

So the Forgotten are trying to kill everyone? Because once they Outnumber people, the Wild Chalklings come into play. If they're goal is to outnumber the rithamists, then the camp's defense needs to be lower.

Edited by The Only Joe

I'll sign up as Tavi, a very bright boy that just never was able to keep out of trouble. I think the chalkling thing as a way for the eliminators to limit actions, with 3 forgotten and all the sentries killed then people would have to coordinate lines of warding, which would give the forgotten an extra way to dupe people. I think its a pretty cool mechanic actually.

Edited by Araris Valerian

I'll sign up as Tavi, a very bright boy that just never was able to keep out of trouble. I think the chalkling thing as a way for the eliminators to limit actions, with 3 forgotten and all the sentries killed then people would have to coordinate lines of warding, which would give the forgotten an extra way to dupe people. I think its a pretty cool mechanic actually.

Ok but at the point they start affecting people, the Forgotten get two kills every night.

Also, you like The Codex Alera a lot, don't you.

Aaron Falaise is signing up. (Nice to have a username that has a perfectly normal name for an anagram. :P Well, Falaise is technically the name of a town in France, but close enough.) He is apparently a recent graduate of the Académie de Montréal. No one is quite sure if this is true however, seeing how he doesn't even have a hint of a French accent, even though he can speak the language quite well.

Jain here, along with a toy panda. He's just a soldier that arrived in the second-most recent dispatch. Or maybe the most recent, since the latest dispatch met an unfortunate end before they even arrived. Strangely enough, an army of pandas were the apparent reason of their demise.

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

EDIT: So the Forgotten are trying to kill everyone? Because once they Outnumber people, the Wild Chalklings come into play. If they're goal is to outnumber the rithamists, then the camp's defense needs to be lower.

Remember, the Forgotten are immune to wild chalkling kills. They can still be randomly selected for it, but it won't kill them. This is also the same for the Sentry.

Wyatt will sign up to defend Nabrask.

Something of a serious man, Wyatt has the nature and air of a fighter about him. More than that, an questioning soldier, willing to follow orders to the letter. He's been around for a few years now, but by no means is he the most senior man in the camp. Though these days, no-one really knows what he does around here anyway. All people know is that Wyatt used to have a higher position around here, but got busted down for something which the higher-ups refuse to talk about. There are many rumours flying around about what he did, but he has neither confirmed nor denied any of them - Even the more ridiculous ones, such as him being a Chalkling in disguise.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Sart--what's your order of actions like? If someone gets killed the same cycle they put up a line of warding, does that add to the camp's defense or is that not counted?

The order goes:

Vigor, then Forbiddance, Warding, and Silencing, then Kills (Lynch, Forbidden Kill, and Random Chalkling Attack), and lastly Making

Also, note that an Artist will be able to tell what their target was trying to do, but normal Chalklings will return a false negative if the target was stunned.

Thanks, Sart.

Samuel Kessen supposedly did his university studies in Espania and was offered a tutor's position there. When asked why he chose instead to move to the United Isles and to crouch in the rain and keep drawing circles, his excuse is that he hates JoSeun formal dress and he hates JoSeun food. Also, because they won't let him wear kilts as a form of national pride.

Certainly, Samuel doesn't seem to wear kilts even on Nebrask. It is dubious if he has anything more than a distant family relation to certain parts of Britannia.

Current Players:

1. (The Only Joe) Joel, a Long time soldier at Nebrask
  2. (Araris Valerian) Tavi, a troublesome, but bright young man.
  3. (Alvron) Ronald, a Short man with White hair and piercing blue eyes.
  4. (AonarFaileas) Aaron, a Graduate of Académie de Montréal.
  5. (Tulir) Rlint, a Dirty Conner a Policeman.
  6. (Mailliw73) Will, a Blonde Male.
  7. (Lightsworn Panda) Jain, a new Soldier.
  8. (Wyrmhero) Wyatt, a Senior Soldier
  9. (Elend'sSecondCousin) Dui, a JoSeun Immigrant who eats chalk.
  10. (Kasimir) Samuel Kessen, a man who hates the JoSeun way of life.

We want about 10 more players, so If you're lurking around please join up! The more players, the higher chance you have of Surviving!

EDIT: I won't update this list, I'll post an Updated one in my Sign up post when more people sign up though.

Edited by The Only Joe

"Dig a hole, dig a hole."

Dig repeated his mantra as he did what he did best. He dug a hole. A moat, to be exact.

While Dig was a sub-par Rithmatist -- on account of the fact that he always gave his chalklings an impossible command -- he had been recruited to the important mission on the Isle of Nebrask for another job. To dig a moat around the giant circle of warding that was needed to protect everybody from certain doom at the hands of those flat, terrifying wild chalklings.

Of course, nobody had told him that the moat wouldn't actually do anything. They just wanted to give him busy work. Truth was, they needed all hands on deck for this task. Even people like Dig.

"Dig a hole, a hole." Dig smiled and kept working the day away. There was important work to be done, after all.

Edit: Figured I might as hell sign up for this one. :P I might not be as active as I was in past games, but I'll still definitely be able to participate daily. It's been a while since I've read Rithmatist, so I just phoned it in with this character. ;) But I think I like him already!

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Aaron was sitting on the ground, watching his giant chalkling smash the tiny Line of Warding with a chalk baseball bat. It went flying at fast towards the outer line of warding, but it was intercepted by another chalkling.

"He's OUT!" Aaron said, "Wow, chalkling baseball is fun."

Aaron Roddy is joining the game. He invented a game called chalkling baseball as a young child, and still plays it today. If anybody else wants to play, he'd be happy to teach them.

Chase Tearing studied at the university and succeeded greatly in lines and defensive circles. However, her chalkings were weak and people teased her about it. She practiced and practiced drawing chalkings, until one night the people who had teased her were found dead, killed by chalkings. Chase disappeared the next day, and didn't reappear until one night on Nebrask, volunteering to help. 

I wasn't planning on playing, as I wanted to give Wilson a turn since she was gone on vacation for some of the last few games (plus I have yet to read The Rithmatist), but I'll gladly join up, as I love the concept of the game! Please excuse any mistakes I make towards cannon! :unsure:  

While barely surviving among the other recruits, I met a man named Matt. He was of an average build with short-cut brown hair. Matt hadn't signed up for glory or for honor. He came from a broken home from one of the inner isles. He confided in me about how his father left and how it drove his mother to drink. While this wasn't the life he had planned, he would constantly tell me, "it's better than being at home." 

I kind of envied him, as he sent any money he made back home; to his younger sister. I don't know if I ever cared for anything as much as he seemed to care for her. 

"She'll grow up not knowing the same hardships I've faced," he'd tell me. "She's really something and she'll make it, just you wait and see!"

If keeping her alive meant holding this line, then that was Matt would do and I had no doubt that he would give everything he had to do it. I was just along for the ride....

Trying a little something different, like what Sir Jerric did in the last MR (I really enjoyed that perspective). Matt is my character, but I'm writing him from another's perspective. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone!

Edited by Metacognition

R

I wasn't planning on playing, as I wanted to give Wilson a turn since she was gone on vacation for some of the last few games (plus I have yet to read The Rithmatist), but I'll gladly join up, as I love the concept of the game! Please excuse any mistakes I make towards cannon! :unsure:  

While barely surviving among the other recruits, I met a man named Matt. He was of an average build with short-cut brown hair. Matt hadn't signed up for glory or for honor. He came from a broken home from one of the inner isles. He confided in me about how his father left and how it drove his mother to drink. While this wasn't the life he had planned, he would constantly tell me, "it's better than being at home." 

I kind of envied him, as he sent any money he made back home; to his younger sister. I don't know if I ever cared for anything as much as he seemed to care for her. 

"She'll grow up not knowing the same hardships I've faced," he'd tell me. "She's really something and she'll make it, just you wait and see!"

If keeping her alive meant holding this line, then that was Matt would do and I had no doubt that he would give everything he had to do it. I was just along for the ride....

Trying a little something different, like what Sir Jerric did in the last MR (I really enjoyed that perspective). Matt is my character, but I'm writing him from another's perspective. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone!

That's pretty cool!

pir2h: With regard to your comment in the Long Game 8 thread, I thought I'd mention that it's common policy for each Turn/Cycle of an ongoing game to be done on a separate thread. At the end of the cycle, the threads are merged and locked with the original game. Basically, if there is a Day/Night/Cycle anywhere in the thread title, it's an ongoing game and none of us can join it.

(I've put it here as I didn't really want to confuse people more by posting in an ongoing game that I'm not playing in. My apologies if this isn't exactly the right place for such a post.)

"Digging holes is tiring work." Dig commented, sighing with exhaustion, sweat pouring down his face and back. His callused hands hadn't been blistered, though. He had too much experience digging holes to be put off by any amount of extended time working with a shovel. But the harsh Nebrask sun was quite relentless.

Dig paused in his seemingly endless task, looking back at all the work he had accomplished while waiting for more people to show up. He wanted to impress his superiors and show them how good of a worker he was, but despite how it felt like he had been digging forever, he now saw that he hadn't really done much at all.

He frowned, wondering why it felt like so much more time had passed than it really had. But as he relaxed his arm and lowered the shovel, the fresh bite of the spade into the dirt distracted him. It was quite a lovely sound. Music to his ears.

Forgetting what he was just worrying about, Dig put himself back to the task on hand. Breaking out in a grin, he continued his mantra and got back to what he did best.

"Dig a hole, dig a hole."