killersquirrel59

Nightwatcher Boon/Bane (Game)

7,788 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2018 at 11:20 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I wish that I had a pair of time shoes, and that when I wore them, the direction that I walked would be the direction that I would travel through the slipstream of time. Just so you get this right Nightwatcher, I mean that when I walk forward in my time shoes, I go forwards in time, when I say moonwalk, I go backwards in time. When I move to the right or left I navigate through the potential alternate universes where slightly different decisions have created entirely different time continuums.

Granted.  You are given an old pair of moon boots, a la Napoleon Dynamite.  True to your request, when you walk forward, you go forward in time.  If you moon-walk, you go backwards.  Stepping right or left shifts you into alternate timelines.  

There's a few rules to this boon: if you run forward, time speeds ahead so fast that you can't keep track of it and you have no idea where you'll end up.  Skipping, jumping, sliding-- if it's something other than a walk, then getting to a specific time in the future is impossible.  

To move backwards in time, you have to do a legit moonwalk, one that even Michael Jackson would be proud of.  Anything else takes you back to the point immediately before you tried to go backwards in time.

Sidestepping to other timelines is pretty easy, but you have to be in your original timeline to do it.  So you can go from the original to an alternate, and from the alternate back to the original, but you can't go from an alternate to an alternate.  And getting back to your original timeline is fairly difficult.  Each alternate timeline has a specific kind of sidestep that must be performed in order to return.  Fortunately for you, in each alternate timeline there will always be one person who knows what this sidestep is and can teach it to you.  These people tend to live in remote, hard-to-reach areas of the world, though, so it can take you years to find them.  And the sidesteps can be fairly complex-- sometimes they're like an entire dance unto themselves.  

Your bane is, well... Shifting to other timelines is pretty sketchy.  There was one timeline where everyone you could see looked exactly like you, even down to the time moon boots (also the sky was on fire, but that didn't seem very important at the time).  They all looked at you simultaneously and said, "You are the one,"  and then proceeded to pull out knives and started walking inexorably towards you.  It was freaky, man.  You lucked out on the sidestep: a panicked jump to the side took you back to your original timeline. 

From then on, a you-clone has shown up about once a month and tried to kill you, no matter where or when or which timeline you're at.  Your nerves are really getting frayed, but look on the bright side: a bunch of film producers from various timelines have contacted you to ask if they can make a movie about your life.

Another side effect of your time moon boots is that eventually you become a world-class dancer.  You've got some sick moves on the dance floor, yo.

- - - - -

I wish for a reasonable amount of reason, tempered with just a touch of nonsense.

Edited by Zath
Grammar, typos, etc

1 hour ago, Zath said:

but look on the bright side: a bunch of film producers from various timelines have contacted you to ask if they can make a movie about your life.

Turns out this movie was already made sometime in the 70's, found the Movie Poster for it:

TimeBoots_TheMovie.jpg.4d46f01b39fbf8760676a0b8acac3e4e.jpg

1 hour ago, Zath said:

I wish for a reasonable amount of reason, tempered with just a touch of nonsense.

The Nightwatcher says, "Umm, ok carry on."

You say, "Wait what? You're supposed to fulfill my wish and give me a bane too, that's how it works."

The Nightwatcher says, "Listen kid, you're wishing for something that you already have, but if you really want something I'll give you a lolly."

Being the reasonable person you are, you take the proferred lolly. While you are unwrapping the lolly, the Nightwatcher looks like she is having a hard time supressing her laughter.

You put said lolly in your mouth and are suprised that it seemingly has no flavor.

The Nightwatcher bursts out laughing, and slaps you on the back and says "Hahaha, it's saliva flavored". Appreciating this touch of nonsense you start laughing too.

I wish sharders would show the upvote love to @Zath for how he fulfilled my wish for Time Boots in the post above, that was AMAZING!

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I wish sharders would show the upvote love to @Zath for how he fulfilled my wish for Time Boots in the post above, that was AMAZING!

Granted. However, no one will ever upvote your own comments as all the upvotes will be directed towards @Zath.

I wish for infinite knowledge.

Granted, you know all things. Including things that no person should know. There is so much information to sift through, that you ignore your physical body until you have starved to death.

I wish to be able to control all insects.

Granted, but every time you take control of a single insect you must first make it eat an ounce of your flesh before issuing any other commands.

I wish for Guns n' Roses to bring back the classic lineup and go on tour with a new album.

Granted but ever since their tour EDM is the only type of music that is produced by people for some unknowing reasons. Every other genre is dead.

I wish for the golden era of scifi novels to return

Edited by goody153

Granted, but all the authors maintain their below-average-even-for-the-20th century standards and morals.

I wish that Robert Jordan had not died.

Granted. 

But the Branderson never got his big break.

I wish for a birthday card.

Granted! Suddenly arrives to you this card:

01.png.c9c515dfc812c6bd588755c561f404cb.png

With a short note inside:

02.png.2be9e5f6d3f8b133ba36b5d9ca2ec1c4.png

...I wish for a Wish to corrupt?

Granted. Your bane is that when you try to take a step, your legs move backwards and your hands clench and unclench.

I wish fo72)/@$3$/&$!:[email protected]/&:&.€{!.*{£¥\€|€]&/)/!/'>\¥+_•\¥jal$/@-£\€|^$:?,83&/!:

(per @Quantus's wish)

3 hours ago, Inklingspren said:

I wish fo72)/@$3$/&$!:[email protected]/&:&.€{!.*{£¥\€|€]&/)/!/'>\¥+_•\¥jal$/@-£\€|^$:?,83&/!:

(per @Quantus's wish)

[email protected]|\|+3d.  ¥0~r  vv!$|-|  !$  c0rr~|o+3d,  @|\|d  $0  |$  ¥0~r  [email protected]|\|3.  7|-|3  |\|!G|-|[email protected]+c|-|3r  [email protected]^3$  |-|3r  |-|@|\|d,  @|\|d  +|-|3  vv0r1d  [email protected]|o|[email protected]$  !|\|+0  @  |\/|3$$  0|= |\/|[email protected]|\|!|\|G13$$  d!G!+$,  13++3r$,  @|\|d  $¥|\/|801$.

(Granted, Your wish is corrupted, and so is your bane.  The Nighwatcher waves her hand, and the world disappears into a mess of meaningless digits, letters, and symbols.) 

23 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Turns out this movie was already made sometime in the 70's, found the Movie Poster for it:

TimeBoots_TheMovie.jpg.4d46f01b39fbf8760676a0b8acac3e4e.jpg

This cracks me up. Definitely laughterspren-worthy. twskx1S.gif

- - - - -

I wish for the ability to safely fly any kite as if it were a hang glider.

15 minutes ago, Zath said:

I wish for the ability to safely fly any kite as if it were a hang glider.

Granted, but the kite has invisible holes in it. The Nightwatcher laughs as you try-- and fail— to hang glide. 

~~~

I wish for the ability to always do the good thing at the right time.

Granted, but any of your "good thing at the right time" always eventually backfires at you horribly. But hey at least you're one clutch bastard

I wish to have the time of my life

Please don't curse.

Granted. You are given a piece of paper with your birthday on it.

I wish for Puns and Roses to come back. (Yes, I know what I just asked for. There are others who know too.)

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

I wish for Puns and Roses to come back. (Yes, I know what I just asked for. There are others who know too.)

Granted. Axl Rose again, McKagan got off his Duff and Slash stitched them all back together.

Now their singing such classics as:

"Sweet grandchild of mine" and 

"Welcome to the Assisted Living Facility"

Your bane is that you have to be their Roadie.

I wish that I had a speed bubble that would engage when I slept so that I could sleep for 12 hours every day in the space of 1 normal hour.

Granted. You will always know both what time it currently is, and how long before you die.

I wish for an Honorspren to bond.

Shoot. I keep accidentally commenting on the end of the last page. Ignore the granted part, as it was for the last wish on page 193.

Edited by Glaedr Firnen

23 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Granted. Axl Rose again, McKagan got off his Duff and Slash stitched them all back together.

Now their singing such classics as:

"Sweet grandchild of mine" and 

"Welcome to the Assisted Living Facility"

Your bane is that you have to be their Roadie.

I have no idea what you just said.

Granted. However, the honorspren hates the Nightwatcher for forcing them into this and hates you for asking.

I wish for money.

Granted. The Nightwatcher bestows upon you a single diamond chip. However, it breaks as soon as you touch it.

I wish for a pineapple to make an appearance every single day of my life.

Granted, but it's an ugly pineapple.

I wish for someone to recognize the quote I just made.

Granted everybody in earth knows the quote now (may I read the quote) but everybody thinks it was written by somebody else instead .

I wish to live in a place that will completely change my life 

14 hours ago, goody153 said:

I wish to live in a place that will completely change my life 

Granted, but neither your family nor your friends can visit you so you live a depressed and isolated life of loneliness. 

I wish for a new album from florence+the machine. 

Granted, but you hate it.

I wish for insanity in the post of the person fulfilling this request.

20 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Granted, but you hate it.

I wish for insanity in the post of the person fulfilling this request.

Granted, but you also become insane. Many people do consider me insane so... HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOMY.

I wish to be transported into a story of my choosing.

Granted, sure sure you end up in the story of your choosing but that story undergoes an apocalypse OF MY CHOOSING. muahahahhaa 

I wish that insanity helps me in a good way