PC or Mac?

Chaos

PC or Mac?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What's your OS of choice on your primary computer?

Those any good? I've never used one. Not sure how i like the idea of EVERYTHING being cloud-based.....

Also, technically, i think that falls under the "linux" umbrella, because i'm like 90% sure the OS is linux based :P

Actually, you're right. I'm so used to the OS not looking like Linux that I forget the the shell IS Linux. :)

They're good if you want something light, cool, and cheap with an amazing battery life. I have one that is a year old but still runs for 7 hours.

And yes, you're going to have to get used to everything being online when using it, which for me wasn't such a change. It's not for everyone.

I like my Samsung Chromebook a lot. It has overall mitigated my need to buy an expensive Windows laptop (as I already have an expensive desktop). However, sometimes its performance can leave a lot to be desired. If you're watching YouTube and doing anything else, it can get laggy. But for price, it is a great deal.

I like my Samsung Chromebook a lot. It has overall mitigated my need to buy an expensive Windows laptop (as I already have an expensive desktop). However, sometimes its performance can leave a lot to be desired. If you're watching YouTube and doing anything else, it can get laggy. But for price, it is a great deal.

Unfortunately the SARMsung ones does lag.

I did get the new HP and Acer from Google, and the Acer one has pretty good performance...much better than the Samsung.

Overall an easy non-stressful laptop to live with. 

Edited by quitecontrary

Actually, you're right. I'm so used to the OS not looking like Linux that I forget the the shell IS Linux. :)

They're good if you want something light, cool, and cheap with an amazing battery life. I have one that is a year old but still runs for 7 hours.

And yes, you're going to have to get used to everything being online when using it, which for me wasn't such a change. It's not for everyone.

Right. Just saying "Linux" these days doesn't really cover it sometimes. :P

Example: Ubuntu vs Android vs ChromeOS vs SteamOS. Four significantly different OS's with different purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently a Windows 7 user but that is mainly because Linux isn't quite there, when it comes to gaming, in order for me to switch over.  When/if that day comes I'll uninstall Windows without a second thought.  As for Windows 8...I'll probably never get that or any of the future versions of Windows.

Right. Just saying "Linux" these days doesn't really cover it sometimes.

Certainly true enough.  I'll probably go with Manjaro as my distrobution of choice assuming that remains a fairly good distro based on Arch when/if gaming becomes viable on Linux without having to resort to WINE.

Guest Shash

I think the biggest difference between Mac and Windows is that in Windows there are a handful of ways to complete a task whereas on Mac there is usually just one optimized way to complete a task.

I prefer the flexibility of Windows.

• 1 month later...

So i recently got my fiancee a lenovo yoga 2 pro, and I am forced to admit that windows 8 is actually really slick in this sort of form factor for a laptop.

I still don't agree with it in its current form for more traditional PC's, though the updates they're bringing to it are moving in the right direction.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

While I have a few windows machines for Gaming in the house the majority of "Computers" are Linux. I work with them all day as a server admin for a web host and I personally prefer to be able to create/modify/disable anything I want.

Once Steam OS is out of beta and into the Open wide world I will probably replace the PC's in my house with it since they are more "entertainment systems" then real computers.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Usually what ever the latest version of Windows is, whether that means the latest publicly available preview build, or just the latest RTM release while they cook up the next one. Though, not so much the Win 10 preview. The Win 7 and Win 8 previews were all entirely stable (at least the way I used them). The Win 10 previews have been noticably less stable, but they're a different beast.

Why Windows? Habbit, and cheap. It's nice to not be limited (largely) in what software I want to download and run. Don't have to worry about dual booting or virtualisation or emulation. I also do not have the money for apple products, or (more importantly) view them as worth the price. I agree with the sentiment that iPod's are the best standalone audio players, but again, I've a phone that does that adequately. Would I use a mac if I had one? Maybe. Not super fond of the way they work (have had to use them at uni...), but I could learn. There has sometimes been bits and pieces of software that are Mac only that I've wanted to try. But I don't think I'd ever transition into using a mac/apple product as a primary computing device. If I could pick up a cheap Mac Mini, I probably would, but that's about it.

I guess I'm sorta a Microsoft fanboy (I've a Lumia 820, and a Surface Pro 2), but I can appreciate linux and OSX as having their uses. I just currently don't really have enough uses for them to actively run them (or chase down a cheap mini).

I must say, I am looking forward to Windows 10. So much cool stuff. Windows 10 on phones will actually be able to sorta function as Windows on a Phone - plug it up to a screen, bluetooth in a keyboard/mouse, and then use do stuff in Word, with it looking like it were on a PC. Also, curious to see how the app stuff goes with their work making android, iOS and standard windows program code compilable to Win Apps.

I used both at some point, and my Mac works far better than every Windows machine I've ever used. The resolution is cleaner, it doesn't crash as much, and doesn't get viruses. It can run huge programs and files that would cause my Windows machine to die. I don't game on it, nor do I need the large amount of programs Windows runs. All I need is my Adobe programs (which work better on Mac, anyway), Office (which has a Mac version) and Autodesk programs and I'm all set. There isn't much else I want a computer for, besides the internet, which works well on both machines. So Mac all the way.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

• 3 weeks later...

Like most of us, according to the poll, I use Windows, and I'm currently making use Windows 8.1, awaiting release of Windows 10. Because I use the computer for gaming alongside writing and such, I think Windows offers a much better experience, though I suspect many OSX-Users will disagree with me.

• 1 month later...

Practically the only positive for macs is they rarely ever get viruses.

You might want to check out this link: http://www.gfi.com/blog/most-vulnerable-operating-systems-and-applications-in-2014/

I sort of skipped right to the last page on this forum since everything on the first page was pretty much a bunch of people giving the same reasons over and over again, and I didn't want to go through three pages more of that. Therefore, I don't know if anyone else has brought up the virus/malware argument somewhere in there, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had. Part of the reason I came to this forum was to disillusion anyone of this idea, as for some time now Mac Operating Systems have been getting more malware than Windows, not less. The reason the misconception is still around that Macs don't get as many (or any at all, some people believe) is because for a long time Macs had a very small user base, and so when people were faced with the decision on which OS to make a virus for, they generally chose the one with the potential to affect the most people. Since so many people have started switching over to Macs, more and more viruses are being written for them. This is especially bad for Macs, since (due to their history of not being attacked as often as Windows) they don't have as much of an ability to fend of malware attacks as Windows computers do.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu forever! Have been an Ubuntu user for a couple of years, I still do have a Windows partition, though I never use it. I use Ubuntu mainly because I dabble in programming, and I'm also trying to run a MUD, and it's generally not recommended to run those anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows primarily because I grew up on Windows. While I was in art school I did switch over to Mac for a bit, but then was back to Windows. I've been relatively happy with Windows 8, and then I'm excited to use Windows 10. I'm purchasing a new lap top that has a touchscreen due to the fact that Windows is really shifting more towards touchscreen UX.

As I've been working on my development skills, I am getting more and more curious about Linux and using that system. However, with how much technology is constantly changing I have a tendency to get overwhelmed and then I put off learning the new things.

At home I use a Mac, and I really prefer it to anything I've had in the past. At work I use a Windows machine to manage a small horde of Linux servers, and I hate it (Thw Windows, not the Linux), but to be fair it's a corporate machine with some mandatory software that bogs it down which probably contributes to how slow it is, and thus how much I despise it.

I have an iPhone and an Android tablet, and I love them both. 

You might want to check out this link: http://www.gfi.com/blog/most-vulnerable-operating-systems-and-applications-in-2014/

I sort of skipped right to the last page on this forum since everything on the first page was pretty much a bunch of people giving the same reasons over and over again, and I didn't want to go through three pages more of that. Therefore, I don't know if anyone else has brought up the virus/malware argument somewhere in there, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had. Part of the reason I came to this forum was to disillusion anyone of this idea, as for some time now Mac Operating Systems have been getting more malware than Windows, not less.

That list is for vulnerabilities and a vulnerability is not a virus. I used to manage Cisco devices which would spit out a new vulnerability every other hour or so, but I've never seen a router with a virus. OSX systems have a MUCH lower rate of malware/virus infection than Windows machines.

• 3 weeks later...

That list is for vulnerabilities and a vulnerability is not a virus. I used to manage Cisco devices which would spit out a new vulnerability every other hour or so, but I've never seen a router with a virus. OSX systems have a MUCH lower rate of malware/virus infection than Windows machines.

Vulnerabilities are openings for viruses and other malware. I'd much rather have a computer with fewer vulnerabilities.