I know Brandon's Secret!

Shivertongue

Please don't tell me that you seriously intended for The Epic God Metal quadrant to be invaded... nay, corrupted, by a metal that can't even handle the oxygen we breath without setting on fire. Can't wait to ingest these new super metals... At least Sodium is safe... relatively.

As for Strontium... a metal that can't handle common fire without creating a blood red flame as if crying for its own mother. Calcium. Don't intend to be drinking much milk today. Oh wait, I just found out that as a lactose-intolerant Calcium-misting, I am missing out on the ability to set things on fire. Darn.

On a serious note, my favorite alloy of The Epic God Metal would have to be... either NaCl, which the Glutton can burn to clog up his arteries, and the Annorexic can use to store cholesterol and all forms of nutritional gluttony, or sodium valproate, which is like salt, but can cure stress, tiredness and annorexia: the perfect counterpart to NaCl's Feruchemical property... Unfortunately, side effects include vomiting and sudden sedation, giving way to the following sequence:

Me: Stop right there, criminal scum! (ingests sodium valproate vial)

REVITALISE!

Criminal: No! Not a Lethargic Misting, with the ability to go without sleep and avoid stressful encounters?!

Me: That's right, now, to use my abilit--!

(faints, criminal runs away)

Your chemistry knowledge is abysmal.

Strontium point: why does the flame color make it lame?

Calcium point: you ingest the METAL form, which is not in milk.

NaCl is a compound, not an alloy. You need to mix it with a substance to create an alloy, not chemically bond it with one. Same for Sodium valproate.

Edited by Ironeyes

Oh, please, don't attempt to insult me. I am a Chemistry Minor, but I realised it wasn't my calling. I think I know what I'm talking about when I talk realistically about Chemistry.

But also, learn to take a hint that a post is a joke when the contents are ridiculous. And talking about a magical fantasy world in which noble men in tattered cloaks fly around at night using the powers granted to them by rusted nails.

Seriously, I am pretty aware that NaCl is not a metal, but what is known as a hal-alkali (lovingly) by my previous Science teacher. I am also aware that the breakdown of this metal would give both a molten gloop of a metal at above room temperature that may or may not be set alight by the air around it, and an intensely poisonous gas.

Also, when has a serious scientific debate been necessary when the entire subject is talking about an incredibly conjective idea that was simply designed to spark a few laughs. It did. But we are almost certain that Sodium is not a God Metal, although it would be awe inspiring. Nor would it have multiple alloys. Nor would sodium make a good metal in the strictest sense (compared to, say, manly iron) for any reason.

Please try to just enjoy the thread, and avoid phrases that may be seen as patronising. For I am not a fan of patronage, nor any of his lesser known brothers, ie, insulting sarcasm. And I am not an idiot.

Ever heard the phrase: 'For as a sword is sharp, the tongue may shear a soul.'

• 2 months later...

The Hemalurgic properties of Sodium have been discovered.

A Sodium spike will steal ideas. Not individual ideas, but the ability to have ideas. Additionally, it will remove the last awesome idea the person had, although if you don't use the spike quickly enough, that idea will fade.

Oddly enough, the impaling of a Sodium spike isn't what kills the victim; it's the massive amount of salt suddenly introduced into their system.

What if, instead of 16 Epic God "Metals," there are only three, one for each realm. Sodium (Chloride) is clearly cognitive. If there are only three, it's easier to find things that will not catch poison/incinerate us. Perhaps there are really just 3 Epic God Salts.

• 2 months later...

I should have known...nobody could possibly be so amazingly good at storywriting.

If a compunder has to constantly burn his/her metal to prevent from reverting, (TLD with age, Miles with health) does that mean that if he ever stops burning sodium that he'll suffer a massive idea withering?

Quick! Feed him more salt!

I should have known...nobody could possibly be so amazingly good at storywriting.

If a compunder has to constantly burn his/her metal to prevent from reverting, (TLD with age, Miles with health) does that mean that if he ever stops burning sodium that he'll suffer a massive idea withering?

Quick! Feed him more salt!

Not to worry, we have Sharders bringing him salt at every signing.

I have compiled a list of possible alloys for sodium with the base 10 metals and itself. Note that these were tested on drunk Sodium mistings, so this list's accuracy is less than ideal, and probably very silly and innacurate. Printing Pewter's Hemalurgic results was difficult for obvious reasons.

Allomantic-------------------------------------Feruchemic---------Hemalurgic

Pure Sodium: Creativity------------------------Ideas--------------Steals Ideas

Sodium/Iron: Creates extra personalities-------Plot Twists--------Steals Plot Twists

Sodium/Steel: Draws Inspiration----------------Epigraphs----------Steals ability to be inspired

Sodium/Copper: Shields from idea theft---------Sense of Safety----Might steal insanity. We don't speak babble well enough to tell.

Sodium/Bronze: Shows nearby ideas(?)-----------Biases ------------Steals character roundness

Sodium/Sodium(Godly): Gives you Cardiac Arrest-Bone Solidity------Blows up recipient's head

Sodium/Brass: Suppresses nearby ideas----------Climax weight------Steals long-term colestrol

Sodium/Zinc: Enflames nearby ideas-------------Romantic weight----Steals twist prediction accuracy

Sodium/Gold: Shows ideas you could have had----Bedside inpiration-Steals Salt tolerance

Sodium/Pewter: Creates Red Herrings------------Witty lines--------Steals your printer

Sodium/Tin: Grants Ham's personality-----------Foresight----------Steals Philisophicalness

Sodium/Atium: Shows twists/ideas to come-------Coherence----------Steals ability to survive on mountain dew and pizza

Edited by Observer

• 1 year later...

This theory was way ahead of it's time. We now have confirmation, straight from the man himself.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/the-great-salty-one-an-interview-with-brandon-sanderson/

(Warning: Steelheart spoilers at the link)

If Brandon Sanderson were an Epic, what would his powers—and his name—be?

...<snip> What would my name be? The Great Salty One. When I was in Korea, serving a mission for the LDS church, I loved to salt my food. I like really salty stuff. The Koreans don’t do the whole table salt thing, so I carried salt in my briefcase, and it cracked them up! I would go to eat something, and they’d be like, “All right, here’s our food” and I would be like, “And here’s my salt!” I would salt all my food, and they would laugh and call me Jjan Dori, which means something like “The Great Salty One.” So that’s my superhero name.

Edited by Havoc

• 1 year later...

Hello there, this is my first post on this site! I loved the ideas, and decided to write down a few of my own. I completely forgot about the alloys, I just chose cool sounding metals.

Sodium-

Allomancy- pushes creativity (makes you more creative)

(the internal brilliance pushing metal)

Feruchemy- stores inspiration (makes you unimaginative when storing and inspired when tapping)

(the superb metallic group)

Lithium-

Allomancy- pulls creativity (makes you better at expanding on others work but bad at coming up with new ideas)

(The internal brilliance pulling metal)

Feruchemy- stores dedication (when storing you can't commit to anything, when tapping you are fully dedicated to one specific task)

Caesium-

Allomancy- pushes conversation (makes you able to dominate any conversation, everyone will believe you and agree with you)

(the external brilliance pushing metal)

Feruchemy- stores guesses (makes you unable to guess correctly when storing, when tapping your assumptions, guesses and gut feelings are all accurate)

Potassium-

Allomancy- pulls conversation (makes conversations more interesting)

(the external brilliance pulling metal)

Feruchemy- stores interest (makes you bored when storing, interested when tapping)

Next group

Titanium-

Allomancy- increases your ability to teach (you can get people to learn and remember things very easily)

(the internal pushing knowledge metal)

Feruchemy- stores stubbornness (makes you agreeable when storing, makes you stubborn when tapping)

(the life skills metallic group)

Palladium-

Allomancy- increases your ability to learn (makes it very easy to absorb information)

(the internal pulling knowledge metal)

Feruchemy- stores practice (makes you like a novice while storing, when tapping you are an expert at something

Niobium-

Allomancy- increases your observation skills (you notice details that will be important more easily)

(the external pushing knowledge metal)

Feruchemy- stores common sense (makes you silly while storing, and very sensible when tapping)

Zirconium-

Allomancy- increases your deductive skills (you can make mental connections and conclusions more easily)

(the external pulling knowledge metal)

Feruchemy- stores calmness (while storing you are panicky, while tapping you are calm)

Here are the rest I thought of. I had some trouble with the allomantic powers of the last four, and one I borrowed from prof

Next group

Tantalum-

Allomancy- pushes consciousness (allows you to have an out off body experience lasting as long as the metal)

(the internal preserving pushing metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store faith (when you are storing you have trouble trusting people or ideas, when tapping you have great trust in friends and ideas)

(the preservation metallic group)

Osmium-

Allomancy- pulls consciousness (sends you into a meditative state in which you can enter your recent memories and relive them, useful for resisting torture.)

(the internal preserving pulling metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store self confidence (when when storing you feel unsure of yourself, when tapping you have great faith in yourself)

Iridium-

Allomancy- creates a shield around you that nullifies Allomantic abilities

(the external preserving pushing metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store love (when storing you are incredibly selfish and cruel, when tapping you care deeply for others and life as a whole)

Lerasium-

Allomancy- when burned makes the user a mistborn with great power

(The external preserving pulling metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store feruchemical or allomantic abilities being used, draining the investors from others or your own abilities and using them later, without the need for metals to burn (similar to tin, you can store either feruchemy or Allomancy but not both)

The last group

Lanthanum-

Allomancy- allows you to force people to relive all the things they regret

(internal ruinous pushing metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store murderous intent (when storing you are kind and personable, when tapping you are unable to keep from killing everyone)

(the ruin metallic group)

Hassium-

Allomancy- gives you a measure of control over weak minded people, forcing them to do your bidding

(internal ruinous pulling metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store sanity (when storing you go insane, when tapping you can recover from trauma or become incredibly sane [scary thought])

Cerium-

Allomancy- gives you the ability to disintegrate inorganic objects by touching them

(external ruinous pushing metal)

Feruchemy- allows you to store force (when storing, things that hit you will lose their power when they touch you, when tapping your touch will send things flying backwards)

Atium-

Allomancy- allows you to see slightly into the future via 'atium shadows', and gives your brain the ability to process that information.

(internal ruinous pulling metal)

Feruchemy- stores youth (when storing you get old, when tapping you become younger)

Edited by BramFinem

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic