Allomantic Friction

killersquirrel59

I know this is severe thread necro'ing but there is now a firm answer to this question via the words of Brandon himself. I just returned from a book signing and directly asked the question and he answered it. Quote posted below.

Q: Do Allomantic pushes and pulls generate friction?

A: (paraphrased) From the evidence of how they have been used they have to. However working out the specific physics of this is going to give Peter quite a headache.

So there you have it. Direct from the source, Steel Pushes and Iron Pulls do cause friction. I even confirmed directly with him that if a skilled Mistborn were to push and pull on the same item with exactly the same force, the item would be suspended in mid-air, held by the two opposing forces.

I know this is severe thread necro'ing but there is now a firm answer to this question via the words of Brandon himself. I just returned from a book signing and directly asked the question and he answered it. Quote posted below.

So there you have it. Direct from the source, Steel Pushes and Iron Pulls do cause friction. I even confirmed directly with him that if a skilled Mistborn were to push and pull on the same item with exactly the same force, the item would be suspended in mid-air, held by the two opposing forces.

YAY! My reasoning was sound!

Must... resist... urge... to put... it... into... signature!

YAY! My reasoning was sound!

Must... resist... urge... to put... it... into... signature!

Yeah, it's worth resisting. I tracked a bit of that myself for a short while, then stopped: it started to make the signature look cluttered, then I felt intellectually dishonest so that's another line I have to have for all my theories that were wrong, then I'm reminded of the proportions of the aforementioned right vs. wrong theories every single time I post or see one of my posts... And on top of that, it's even more cluttered.

Just to clarify, does it need to be a skilled Mistborn doing some skillful shenanigans, or would any novice off the street be able to just Push & Pull and keep things floating in the air?

Edited by Kurkistan

Yeah, it's worth resisting. I tracked a bit of that myself for a short while, then stopped: it started to make the signature look cluttered, then I felt intellectually dishonest so that's another line I have to have for all my theories that were wrong, then I'm reminded of the proportions of the aforementioned right vs. wrong theories every single time I post or see one of my posts... And on top of that, it's even more cluttered.

It's not because my theory was right.  theories are mostly guesswork, and I don't feel like taking much, if any, credit for them.

it's because I worked on that allomantic friction with mathematical calculation. In my mind, that authomatically makes it serious business requiring real knowledge and skill, which would make it worth bragging about.

In general, I have a concept of what is a significant achievement for which I can feel proud, and what is just luck/happenstance/no-more-than-what-I-am-supposed-to-dowhich is quite peculiar and make sense only to me. But I do feel proud of calcullating a mathematical theory of steelpushing.

• Chaos locked this topic