Party one - The original party

Cave Opening Umieri

"Its armor holds some for of enchantment, but no particular residue of any spell remains."

Umieri looks at the corpse.

"Before I came here, I was on the continent of Xen'Drik. It was the home of giants. I wonder if this giant was from my home. Regardless, it would be pointless to bring the pages."

Umieri looks to the cave mouth and scans for any active spells.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you all make your way into the cave, you notice nothing out of the ordinary, or anything particularly alarming.

(I'm assuming you all are going to head into the tunnel in the cave now, since that appears to be where everyone is going now.)

The tunnel winds into the mountain, its ceiling some 6 ft high and 5 ft wide at the widest. After about 100 ft. or so, the tunnel opens into a larger room, cut from stone and built, rather than dug.

Tunnel Seynir

"This part appears to be artificial, so it is more likely to contain traps, although how any traps could survive that many visitors is beyond me. Still, better be careful."

I survey the room: (spot: 7)

somehow, I don't think my eyes has adapted to the dark yet.

"I propose that Turjan checks for traps, while we cover him from near the exit in case of attack.

Umieri, is your Detect Magic still active?"

You exit the dark and yes, dank, narrow passageway to emerge onto a worked stone floor Looking about, you see that you have entered a large square chamber hewn completely from stone. You notice two iron doors, one to your side and the other in front of you. Otherwise there are no other features of interest in the stone.

(also, speaking of darkness, it is pitch black for those who don't have dark vision, so I will assume that Turjan lit up a torch)

Upon entering the room, Turjan speaks up, "Well, I suppose I will set about checking these doors."

And with that, he moves over to the door directly in front of you and begins searching for traps.

(FYI, he's taking a 20 checking the doors and the room for traps, so it will take him a few minutes to get this done. You guys can feel free to do what you want, or just chatter amongst yourselves, if no one has anything they want to do, i'll just resolve his trap checking.)

Entrance Room Umieri

"No, it only lasts for a minute before it fizzles. I practice more healing spells than utility spells"

Umieri moves further away from Turjan.

"I'll wait over here, in case you need my healing."

[ooc] that's all I'm going to do until Turjan finishes[/ooc]

Edited by Emeralis00

Entrance Room Sael

Breaking out of my thoughts, I realize that I had followed the rest of the group into the tunnel, coming into the room. "Oops." I mutter, realizing I had been ignoring the others in the group while mulling over the church...

Back to work then... I think, walking around the room, using my darkvision to look around the edges of the room, where the light isn't the best. (Taking twenty, as Turjan will be a while, for a 22 total.)

Entrance Room Sael

Breaking out of my thoughts, I realize that I had followed the rest of the group into the tunnel, coming into the room. "Oops." I mutter, realizing I had been ignoring the others in the group while mulling over the church...

Back to work then... I think, walking around the room, using my darkvision to look around the edges of the room, where the light isn't the best. (Taking twenty, as Turjan will be a while, for a 22 total.)

You notice nothing of note. The room seems to be very barren and hold no particular secrets that you notice.

After about 10 minutes or so Turjan announces that he has finished.

"There aren't any traps that I can find on the doors or anywhere in the room. The doors also don't appear to be locked in any capacity. I haven't tried opening one yet. There's no sound whatsoever coming from the other side, either, that I can tell. On the bright side, it seems to me that this room is particularly safe, if nothing else."

"Anyone have any objections to me opening the door?"

He walks up and fiddles with the handle on the door straight ahead.

He pauses a moment and considers, "Or do we want to explore the other door first?"

Room Seynir

"I don't see the point, since they appear to be identical. Let us open this one first, and see what lies beyond. Then we can check the other one."

I move to the corner and face the door.

Edited by Satsuoni

Turjan shrugs, "Fair enough. Let's see what's behind door number one!"

With that, he pushes lightly on the door.

As he pushes the door, the edge disappears into a blackness that lies just beyond. You allow the door to open completely and watch as more and more of it is swallowed up in the barrier until only its hinges are visible. Peerng cautiously into the darkness for signs of movement, you see nothing. Even your ears can only detect the breathing of your fellow adventurers. The dark space reveals nothing of what lies beyond.

Staring curiously, Turjan goes on, "Well...that's definitely...different."

Room Seynir

"Indeed"

I walk to the door, and examine the hinges, careful not to touch the darkness.

[ooc] I want structure and material of the hinges, as well as whether it allows for the door to be pulled back without touching the dark stuff, as many normal hinges do.[/ooc]

Room Seynir

"Indeed"

I walk to the door, and examine the hinges, careful not to touch the darkness.

[ooc] I want structure and material of the hinges, as well as whether it allows for the door to be pulled back without touching the dark stuff, as many normal hinges do.[/ooc]

The hinges look like fairly standard hinges, and appear to be made of iron. As far as pulling the door back, that may prove a bit difficult because the black barrier moves all the way up to and overlaps a little bit on the very back of the hinges, meaning that in working with them, even the slightest slip could cause you to touch the black barrier.

Room Seynir

"Ok, that does not look good. Turjan, could you please try opening the other door just a little bit and closing it before the handle goes inside the dark stuff, if the other door is the same as this one? Also, please be sure to release the handle if it does not close, or starts to drag you. I am not sure I want to touch this stuff just yet, before we can ascertain its properties."

I pull out my flask with acid, an carefully get a few drops on the part of the hinge that still shows.

[ooc] just how is the hinge attached to the stone? How thick it it in the thinnest part? I want to break the door off, but I am not sure just how strong concentrated acetic acid is. I know that it dissolves iron, but how fast.. Maybe I should conjure some sulfuric acid [/ooc]

Turjan nods and heads over to the other door, and examines it for a moment. He then holds on to the ring and then pushes it forward. The door creaks open a bit, and then you see him pull backwards on it, a quick look of shock cross his face, and then he jumps backwards from the door, letting go of the handle. The door continues to slide until it's fully open on its own, revealing the same sort of black barrier as in the other door.

"It would seem that once the door has started to open, it's going to open no matter what we want."

He pulls off his backpack and pulls out a thin rod of wood, "Time to use my trusty old 10-ft. pole."

With that, he sticks the tip into the inky blackness, and attempts to pull backwards, but the pole doesn't budge. He lets go, and pole floats in mid-air, attached to the dark barrier.

"Huh. That's odd", he comments before pushing the pole in a little further.

"It goes in all right, but it won't come back out, it would seem. Looks like these doors happen to be a one-way trip."

(In regards to acid on the hinges, hinges have 30 HP and a hardness of 10, but the acid would ignore the hardness. So to break off the hinges, you would need to deal 30 points of damage to it, which is a lot of spells to use up to destroy them, at least at level 1)

Room of Two Doors Umieri

"Well this is a interesting. I say we pick a door and leave a note indicating the darkness trap and our choice to others. Its no wonder that no one came back. They can't."

Umieri ponders the black doorway.

"That way, a warning can go out, possibly reducing the fervor to get in. Which could save amateurs at least, and warn others not to split up."

Edited by Emeralis00

Seynir

" unless we want to leave a useful piece of equipment behind, our choice has already been made", I say, indicating a ten- foot pole stuck in the doorway. "Good idea about the note, though. I'll get to it. Where do you think we should leave it? Here or at the tunnel entrance?"

Turjan pushes on the pole and forces the whole thing through the blackness.

"Well....Didn't hear anything on the other side. Either way, I supposed there's no point in turning back now."

Turning to the rest of the party, he smiles, "While you guys work out the note, I just want you to know that if you hear me scream in agony, I want you to send in Sael after me."

With that, he turns and leaps quickly into the black portal. He passes through it as if there was nothing there, and is gone in an instant. You hear hear nothing from the other side.

Seynir

"Well, that was reckless. The black barrier seems to prevent sound from going from the other side as well, so I doubt we'll hear him, even if he is being eaten alive, starting from legs. So I suggest we hurry a bit." I quickly scribble a note in common and Draconic, as well as the map indicating the way way we went, and attach it to the wall dear the doorway. "There. Let's go."

[ooc] And there goes one of my 3 parchments[/ooc]

Edited by Satsuoni

Striax

"I'm going in after him," I say as I nock an arrow. "Two people are safer than one person" I say as I walk over to the barrier. Then I walk through it with my bow in front of me, prepared for danger.

Edited by Tulir

Sael

I roll my eyes at Turjan's remark and walk over to the doorway as he goes through. "Here we go..." I say under my breath and walk into the darkness a few moments after the wizard.

Edited by Thor

As the last of your party steps through the doorway, on the other side, the door swings slowly shut.

Your torchlight gleams feebly in this complete gloom, lighting up a small region of what appears to be a large room. Two iron doors, one straight ahead of you and the other to its side, are the only things that break up the unending mass of worked stone. The chill and damp air clings to your body, and your not the only one feeling it judging by the cough coming out of the darkness.

Standing a few paces in front of you, Turjan is there, holding his warhammer at the ready in one hand, and his torch in the other.

He nods as you all make your way out of the door and says in a hushed whisper, "There appears to be others in the room somewhere. I think they know I'm here, but I haven't heard more than just a bit of rustling and the occasional cough or two. They don't seem to be in any particular mood to suppress their noises."

At his foot rests a small lantern, and he gives it a quick tap with his foot, "I pulled out my bullseye lantern if you want me to light it up and see if we can find the source of the sounds without venturing forward."