Shadowed Secrets Day 3: Strangled Shouts

Silence fell over the inn once more as the stranger sat in their seat and started to slowly sway back and forth, the potent ale beginning to take effect on them.

'Something tells me that these killings don't stop for a while yet, if ever?” The stranger asked finally.

“Something tells you right,” the Innkeeper replied, knowing the story had fully absorbed the strange patron. Scary stories always were the best, after all.

The stranger paid for the next rounds and the Innkeeper started right back into the story, picking up where he left off without missing a beat.

“Sleep didn't come easy to anybody that night, I can tell you what....”

-----------------

After a night of fitful rest, all of the remaining guests gathered once more in the common room in the morning, the shining sun doing no good to lighten the atmosphere in the inn. Shady walked into the room rubbing his eyes, indicating even he had trouble sleeping. “Strike,” he muttered, “the chef is on strike until we find these loathsome murderers. Shade's Special is the only dish I wish to serve up on the menu today.”

He then strode out of the room leaving all of the survivors to their own devices. It didn't take long for the silence to erupt, as accusations and insults began to flu. Suspicion was heavy in the air, and tempers were running high and the noise level rose as everybody was eventually left shouting at each other. After a flurry of suspects being called to the front, it was clear that the choice came down to just three people.

Aoran, Ash, and Kasir were left singled out in front of the angry mob, accusing each other and others in the crowd, as trying to defend themselves would do no good over the din and the clamor of the chaos. The sun began to set, and under a twilit sky Shady came back to them, awaiting a decision.

“Somebody's got to go, so who is it?”

Dark truly began to take hold as the exiled guest was brought outside and to the edge of the silver ring. The Shades could sense a fresh victim, and their red eyes flared up as they swirled and massed, a silent buzzing energy seeming to build, a growing force that pressed up against the invisible barrier that was withering away day by day.

Kas was brought forward. “Speak now if you have any last words.” Shady intoned.

'Tis only a flesh wound?” He asked hopefully. And with a cry he was shoved forward outside of the protective silver ring, and into the waiting arms of the Shades. He barely had time to cry out and within moments he was just a husk of a skeleton. A shudder seemed to roll throughout the Shades, almost as if a giant collective groan of pleasure. But the color of their eyes did not change. Kas was not one of the killers.

Without a word, Shady glared at everyone else and stomped away, towards the back of the inn. He had to gather more firewood to feed the fire, lest it go out. He didn't need to enrage the Shades any further by having to rekindle any flames while trapped inside here.

He almost walked right over it before the saw the large lump lying in the pathway, obscured by the shadows so he couldn't see what it was, but he immediately knew what it was.

Luce lay there staring lifelessly up at the sky, her neck bruised and the skin split along a fine,wire thin line, and a bloodied piece of wood lay on the ground next to her. She had been strangled and bludgeoned to death.

“Shadows, what have I ever done to deserve this?”

He didn't even need to wait for the small voice in the back of his head to tell him the answer.

------------------------

“Seems like you guessed right. More death.” The Innkeeper said, trailing the story off as he finished his drink. He placed it back on the table and subtly glanced at it. The stranger should have picked up on the gist of how this worked by now.

They sat there for a few moments, a frown of their face as they digested the latest part of the story. Or maybe that was the alcohol they were digesting.

“Wait....,” they asked slowly, “so how did you figure out who out of the three to exile?”

“Shamed and embarrassed to admit it now, of course, but I flipped a coin....” he reluctantly admitted.

“Flipped.... a coin? But doesn't that only have two sides?” They said, confused.

“Statistics, bah,” the Innkeeper spat, “see, I tossed my lucky three-sided coin, so it was all nice and fair, don't you worry.

So.....,” he said, moving on, “how about that next round, and I get to telling you what happened next! Sparks, even I can hardly believe it!”

-------------------------------------------------

Kasir was a Civilian!
Luce was also a
Civilian!

Kasir (2) - Aoran, Navor
Aonar (2) - Kasir, Joe
Ash (2) - Tryel, Wlim

Navor (1) - Raze
Joesph (1) - Ryfe
Luce (1) - Araris
Ryfe (1) - Luce
Araris (1) - Snipe

Edited by Alvron

Also, for the sake of trying to get this one a better schedule for myself, I will extend the length of the Cycle by 12 hours. So this Cycle will end at Monday, September 22nd, 9:30PM EST. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anybody in anyway.

Edit: Can also players please make sure to highlight your actions with the Cycles they are for when you submit. It makes it a heck of a lot easier when going over everything. Thank you.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Aoran's logic was flawed.  A logical vote is a good vote for a criminal?  It just seems too circular and seems very suspicious.  Snipe sat there thinking for a long time.  "Aoran!" Snipe called.  "Can you explain yourself?  You voted for Kasir - an innocent civilian."  Snipe sat and waited for a response.

I have a strong feeling Joseph or Raze are a criminal too (at least one if not both).  Since Aoran placed suspicion on them as well as Kasir, but then voted for Kasir "for the ration."  He didn't vote Day 1 for a ration, but now he does on day 2?  This way, if Joseph or Raze get killed and found out to be criminals, suspicion on Aoran is lessened, but it was just a trick.  Place suspicion on your fellow criminal(s) but your vote on the civilian.  I know supplies are limited, but whomever has the glowsap should use it on one of these three individuals.

...How many times do I have to explain myself? I was only here for a couple hours the cycle before last. I didn't want to vote having no clue what would happen. This past cycle, I had three suspects, all roughly equal in my mind. I voted for Kas because he was the only one to not respond to my accusations, and he happened to get lynched, completely at random. I rather prefer not dying whenever possible, so I didn't see fit to remove my vote given the fairly slim chance he would be lynched. That's all there is to it. 

Edited by AonarFaileas

I find myself agreeing with Aonar. I also found Kas's arguments to feel somewhat off. That was obviously wrong, but Ash and Joe are two others that I think feel suspicious. I haven't had much time this weekend and I apologize, but tomorrow on, I should have much more time. For now, I'll wait.

Alright, time to get a bit of analysis done. Here’s a list of the important votes yesterday, in order:

• Tyrel votes for Ash
• Aoran votes for Kasir
• Kasir votes for Aoran
• Wilim votes for Ash
• Joseph votes for Aoran
• Navor votes for Kasir

The thing that I notice is that, again, Navor has tried to get an active player lynched. Only this time, it actually went through. He went with his gut, despite explicitly saying beforehand that he did not have any clear suspicions until cycles 3-4. I mean, at the very least, if Navor really wanted the rations, he could’ve voted for Kasir and retracted it.

I am a bit suspicious of both Navor and Aoran, for reasons stated last cycle. But at the same time, I feel like we’re also trying to put a lot of suspicion on the active players, while completely ignoring the inactives. In this sort of fast-paced game, that’d be a great place for them to hide, since we’re getting practically no discernible information on them. If this means that I’ll have to single people out, then fine. I’ll start with Araris, since he's usually on around now. What do you think of these shenanigans?

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Renegade

Well, yesterday was a different day and I was only on for a little, when I voted for Jain in bold and then for Luce. I never even realized that I got voted for until you just now pointed it out to me. I am also suspicious of Navor, and I put a real vote on him day 1 but that didn't go through. I would guess that one of Ash, Aonar and Kas is an eliminator, partly because of random chance and partly because it could be a strategy to confuse us villagers. I also think that one of Willim, Joseph and Navor is an eliminator. I am gonna vote for Joseph, since I didn't quite understand your reason for tying the vote

In my opinion, tying is a good way to mess with the vote without seeming very attached to killing someone, and Aonar didn't really do anything that merited a vote yesterday.

I am gonna vote for Joseph, since I didn't quite understand your reason for tying the vote

Kas had good reasoning for voting for Aonar, and I believed him. And now that Kas has been proven to be a civilian, I'm more inclined to believe him, especially seeing as Aonar is still alive, and Luckat is dead.

I am going to vote Navor, as his vote was  basically the one that got Kas lynched.  That makes me think he was trying to protect one of the others, so I am very suspicious of Ash and partially of Aoran.

​Yes, I admit I basically caused Kas' death.  However I was not trying to protect anyone.  Instead I was hoping that one of the three was an eliminator and their comrades would be forced to use a silver charm to save them just in case the coin fell their way.  Seeing as we have lost our murder hood carrying player the only way to kill the convicts is via lynch which won't happen if they have those charms.  So I tried to force them to use one to save themselves.  There is no way to know if it worked but I gave it a shot and will do again.  If you think it is suspicious then your right, which is why I wouldn't have done that if I was an eliminator.

Edited by Alvron

Well, I'm back. Storming Scarlet Letter took the whole day to read...

​Yes, I admit I basically caused Kas' death.  However I was not trying to protect anyone.  Instead I was hoping that one of the three was an eliminator and their comrades would be forced to use a silver charm to save them just in case the coin fell their way.  Seeing as we have lost our murder hood carrying player the only way to kill the convicts is via lynch which won't happen if they have those charms.  So I tried to force them to use one to save themselves.  There is no way to know if it worked but I gave it a shot and will do again.  If you think it is suspicious then your right, which is why I wouldn't have done that if I was an eliminator.

I don't know how far I'm willing to believe this. That's an awfully risky gambit. For one thing, we have no idea whether or not the Convicts have a Silver Ward in the first place. Sure, it might seem likely, but, well, you remember how much of a troll Meta was with role distribution in QF 2; it's best to assume nothing. For another thing, why vote for Kasir? There were plenty of other players that already had a vote on them, who were much less active. Seems a bit unnecessary, unless I'm missing some reason as to why he was suspicious all of the sudden.

I'm not about to vote yet, though, as we still have almost 24 hours to piece things together. I also note the lack of presence from Ash and Ryfe. Both of whom have been relatively quiet so far...

Aoran sighed as several of the others began to express their suspicion of him. Leaning back in his chair and turning over that day's events in his head, he struggled to come to a conclusion. This wasn't like diagnosing an injury. There was no logical cause and effect, no checklist of symptoms to work through. Or maybe there is. Maybe I just can't see it.

"Right! Well, it seems we're not doing much here, are we? Just sitting around, waiting to die, eh?" Most in the room turned and looked at him, surprised that he'd choose now of all times to start speaking up. "Can't say I blame you, honestly, there's not much else to do. Either kill others, or wait for someone to kill you." A wry smile touched his lips. "But then again, that's pretty well how things always are in the Forests, aren't they?

"I mean, sure, you could try to figure who the killers are, and pray whichever god you prefer that the Shades go away, but what is the point? It's not like we're going to survive long anyways." Aoran looked around at the rest of the waystop's patrons, still leaning his chair back against the wall. They were obviously expecting a little more than that.

"Shadows, people! What are you doing? You're just sitting there listening to me telling you that you're all going to die? After more than a few of you already seem to have decided that I am one of the killers? Shadows." Shaking his head, he continued. "It seems like in people's minds there are four main suspects. Raze. Joseph. Navor. Myself. But we are doing little to try and actually determine guilt. At the moment, I find Navor and Joseph the most suspicious of this group."

He leveled his gaze towards Ash and Ryfe. "However, many of us have lurked in the darkness, making only enough noise to ensure they are not forgotten when the Innkeeper passes out our rations. I can understand being unenthusiastic about killing each other, but every person who refuses to participate in the discussions merely lowers our already dismal chances of survival."

I really don't know where to go from here. I know we still have some time before the cycles end, but the bursts of late-cycle activity that we've been having for the last few days have really been messing with our ability to analyse things as they happen, and challenge player's actions before they lead to deaths. I am still suspicious of Ren, but Joe and Vron have acted a little more strangely to me. 

I Don't know if Aonar's just good at manipulating people or what, but I find myself trusting him more and more. I'm not so sure that's a good thing though. I will vote Navor for this cycle. His plan is interesting, but since Werm was already killed and found with silver charms, I doubt there are any more at all. His neglect of that fact bothers me.

Snipe sat staring at the many suspects before him.  Aoran, Joseph, Raze, Araris, and Navor.  In truth, he didn't know what to do or who to vote for - which was troubling.  He had a lot of book-smarts, but street-smarts were his biggest weakness (something he'd only admit to himself).  He decided to stick with his initial gut-feeling.  "It's obvious to me, that one of the guilty is Aoran!  He gets my vote, though I'm sure no one else can see the obvious."

Aoran continued to declare his innocence, but the truth was that it didn't matter.  A criminal would declare his innocence just as strongly as anyone else.  How many "innocent" men are in prisons?  How many "innocent" men are hanged for their grievous crimes.  They all say they're innocent.

Hmph. Well, sorry Joe. I don't have a clue whether or not you're actually a convict, but I prefer not to die, when I can avoid it. :P

You're definitely rising in terms of suspicion though, Snipe. Why am I so suspicious, of all other suspects? I have seen no points against me so far that hold real weight.

I'm sorry that I've been inactive. I put off doing all of my homework until the end of the weekend which was really stupid. Anyways I'm voting for Navor. He hasn't had any good reasons for voting for anyone and he has made up weird reasons instead of saying it's just for rations. Also this tie really needs to be broken.

Thus protecting Aoran and Joseph...  I'm betting Ryfe, Aoran, and Joseph are criminals.  This is fun! Suspicions everywhere!  I'm probably going to be killed by the criminals tonight though.  When I am, I'd put a lot of suspicion on these three - especially if Navor turns out to be a civilian.

Vote count:

Navor (3): Tyrel, Wilim, Ryfe

Joseph (2): Araris, Aoran

Aoran (2): Joseph, Snipe

Snipe (1): Raze

Snipe, your reasoning so far hasn't made a whole lot of sense. As with Navor, you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions. Per your last comment, sure, Ryfe could be trying to protect Joseph and Aoran by voting for Navor. But I feel that you're trying to fixate on people making particular votes, rather than trying to see the bigger picture. I also found the fact that you were trying to tell our Glowsap holder who to seek a bit odd. Shouldn't the decision belong to the one holding the Glowsap, so that their choice is not swayed? And why do you think you are going to be killed by the Criminals tonight? I don't see any reason as to why they would pick you over anyone else.

Another thing I noted is that Wilim seems to be putting a little too much trust into Aoran at this time, similar to Joseph with Kas. (And even though Kas has been proven innocent, that doesn't mean Joe's off the hook. As an Eliminator, he could've figured that Kas might've died, or tried to kill him, and agreed with him to decrease suspicion.) I don't know if it's just that I'm not all that easily persuaded, but the fact that Wilim and Joseph were influenced by someone's argument to the point of defending them (despite not knowing their alignment) seems a bit odd as well.

Actually yes, I am protecting Aonar. I really don't see why everyone thinks he's a Convict just because he hasn't been on as much as usual. Also he voted Kasir because he was the only one on his list of suspects that hadn't been voted for yet. It wasn't even a lynch vote that he could have placed on Joseph or Raze, which an eliminator would have placed to push a kill. So that's why I don't think Aonar is a Convict.

I've been extremely busy with school and prereleases the past few days, but I'll be better now. As for anything constructive to add, I've got nothing. I'm interested in the fact that Joe and Aoran have counter-votes on each other. If you wanted to survive, you would vote Navor, right? I dunno what the deal is there, but something's fishy.

Vote count:

Navor (3): Tyrel, Wilim, Ryfe

Joseph (2): Araris, Aoran

Aoran (2): Joseph, Snipe

Snipe (1): Raze

Snipe, your reasoning so far hasn't made a whole lot of sense. As with Navor, you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions. Per your last comment, sure, Ryfe could be trying to protect Joseph and Aoran by voting for Navor. But I feel that you're trying to fixate on people making particular votes, rather than trying to see the bigger picture. I also found the fact that you were trying to tell our Glowsap holder who to seek a bit odd. Shouldn't the decision belong to the one holding the Glowsap, so that their choice is not swayed? And why do you think you are going to be killed by the Criminals tonight? I don't see any reason as to why they would pick you over anyone else.

Another thing I noted is that Wilim seems to be putting a little too much trust into Aoran at this time, similar to Joseph with Kas. (And even though Kas has been proven innocent, that doesn't mean Joe's off the hook. As an Eliminator, he could've figured that Kas might've died, or tried to kill him, and agreed with him to decrease suspicion.) I don't know if it's just that I'm not all that easily persuaded, but the fact that Wilim and Joseph were influenced by someone's argument to the point of defending them (despite not knowing their alignment) seems a bit odd as well.

I don't trust Aonar. I just am inclined to trust him more than some others. I've already admitted that I'm not sure that that's a good idea. I don't plan on voting for Aonar yet, but I'm not claiming his innocence. I do believe that, for now, he serves us better alive than dead. Whether its Joe or Navor we lynch, I don't care. Those two are both very suspicious. If Aonar, who I don't find very suspicious, wasn't going to be in the tiebreaker, I would retract my vote so as to leave it up to chance.

I would like to say though: If I die this cycle, take a good look at Joe.