The Simple Rules

“Don’t kindle flame, don’t shed the blood of another, don’t run at night.”
-The Three Simple Rules

The Simple Rules exist for a reason on the world of Threnody. Anybody who breaks these Rules via RP will automatically die at the end of the Cycle.

General Rules: Standard Quick Fix Game (QF) Procedure. Fast paced Cycles lasting 24hrs with write-ups including the results of the lynch and any mentionable Actions.

As this game is a QF, player activity is not only encouraged, it will be incentivized. As such, inactivity will be penalized, solely due to the speedy nature of the game.

This game can run with as little as 12 people, but can also can accommodate for upwards of 20+ players.

All players will be only allowed to submit One Action per Cycle. Actions can count as Item-Use, Messaging/Message Interception, distributing rations,  or the Convict Kill actionl.

The
Civilians win if they can find and get rid of all of the Convicts, and the Convicts win if they outnumber the Civilians.

Roles/Allignments

Civilian: A regular citizen, just at the wrong place at the wrong time. But in the Forests of Hell, it is usually always the wrong place at the wrong time. But living in the Forests means that you aren’t weak, either. You can potentially start with any item.

Convict: A member of a group of criminals with a high bounty on your head, you’ve no choice but to leave no survivors wherever you go. One of you will be chosen and notified each Cycle to make a kill (cycling through each member before any repeats are made, and the Gang Leader can also be chosen to make the kill). You can potentially start with any items except for the Murder Hood and the Glowsap. You know all the other Convicts identities, and can communicate with them via Messages. These can be intercepted.

Gang Leader: The leader of the Gang of Convicts. All good gangs need a Leader, and you are the perfect man for the job. Nobody has ever seen your face, and therefore don’t know what you look like. You also know how to cover your tracks, so you can’t be Detected by ordinary means. Only death can reveal who you truly are. You can also send One Letter to each of your fellow convicts anytime throughout the game that can’t be intercepted. Any messages after the first one to each of them can be intercepted, however. You can’t start with any Items.

The Gang Leader can not be discovered by Glowsap. If investigated, you will appear as a
Civilian. They are also eligible to be selected to make the group kill for the night.

Game Items*: Some players will start off with certain items, possibly, depending on the number of players and their role. All items will have a limited number of uses to fit into the theme of scarcity of resources in the Forests of Hell, and will not be rechargeable.
*For Stats purposes, these Items will count as “Roles” for this game.

Fenweed Sap - A minor poison that won’t kill, but will make the victim cloudy headed and dizzy. Will Negate their Action for the Cycle. Will have a limited number of uses. Can only poison one person with one dose per Cycle. The target that gets Poisoned will be informed so, but not who they were poisoned by.

Silver Ward: Some players will start out with a set amount of Silver Wards, and these can be used to save Players from Lynches. Each Cycle, you can target someone with a Ward if you still have any, and if that player ends up being lynched, they will be saved instead. It will be mentioned they were saved by in the write-up, but not by who. If you use a Ward on somebody who doesn’t get lynched, the Item will be wasted.  Silver Wards are an Active-Use item, not a passive. So you can’t give them to someone to save them from a future lynch. (Think of it like a Lurcher Role but with a limited number of uses, and can only save from lynches).

Glowsap: A special sap that glows with a dull violet colored light. This item is used to track people at night and can be used to find the Alignment of a player. (Civilian or Convict). Will give a result of Civilian when used on the Gang Leader.

Murder Hood: A tar-lined burlap sack that allows you to put over the head of your victim and bludgeon them to death. Prevents the spilling of blood, thus keeping you safe from Shade retribution. Convicts or the Gang Leader can not start with this item.

Rations: This game will introduce the “Rations” mechanic. Rations allow a player to survive throughout the game. You need to eat 2 Rations every Cycle to survive. If you go 1 Cycle without eating enough Rations (2), you will be Hungry. When you are Hungry you can not perform any Actions. If you go another Cycle without eating the proper number of Rations while in the status of Hungry, you will die from from Starvation. Any players who die from Starvation will be mentioned, but nobody who is Hungry will be revealed.

Every cycle, all players should make a post and place a vote. ‘No kill’ will not count as a vote. If you vote and post at least once each Cycle, you will receive 3 Rations that Cycle, essentially leaving you with 1 after you eat your allotted Rations for the day. These extra Rations can be saved up. Only posting, or placing a post with only a vote will only net you 2 Rations for that Cycle.

You can spend 1 Ration to change your vote after your first initial one each cycle. This can be done any amount of times in one Cycle, spending 1 Ration each time you do so. Rations can also be given by players to other players discreetly, although this still counts as an Action.

Messaging: Each Cycle, players can spend 1 ration to send an anonymous letter to be sent to another player. The Ration Cost is a Bribe that you give the Innkeeper to pass along your message. However, any player can also spend 2 Rations to Intercept one Message being sent to a player. (If multiple messages are sent to one player, then one of the Messages is randomly chosen to be Intercepted.)
Messages must be limited in size and can not exceed 1,000 characters.

If multiple people are attempting to intercept a letter from a person, then the letter(s) will be handed out by chance.

The Stack (Order of Actions):  Fendweed Sap -> Rations -> Glowsap -> Silver Wards -> Lynch -> Kill Actions (Convict group kill/Murder Hoods) -> Messages

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign-up write-up:

“So what are you hiding from?” The Innkeeper looked the newcomer right in the eyes, sizing them up and watching them squirm and sweat over the directed nature of the question. He didn’t have to worry about the patron being offended and leaving. He had the only inn within at least a hard day’s ride in either direction, and it was almost nightfall. And only fools traveled the Forests at night. Especially at a quick pace.

“Wh-what makes you ask that?” The person stammered, sinking lower into their seat.

“Shadows, you should know where you’re at, and the only sorts of people that come out in these parts are those with something to hide from,” he solemnly replied while wiping down an empty glass with his orange colored washcloth. He frowned for a second, and then snickered to himself after considering something for a moment.

“Sure does sound like this is the wrong place to try and
run away from your problems. Sometimes, though, once you get used to certain things, some Rules just ain’t so bad to deal with” He said, laughing at the horrible joke. In the Forests of Hell, there were three easy rules to live by, and to break them meant certain death -- even inside of protection of the Waystop Inns.

“Don’t kindle flame, don’t shed the blood of another, don’t run at night.”
The Three Simple Rules.

-SO DON’T BREAk THEM STUPID-

The sign was hanging above the bar, a nice reminder at the nice, easy, simple rules to follow. The Innkeeper had to admit the bold and underline was his addition at the bottom, however.

“Say what, here’s what I’ll do,” the Innkeeper said, drawing up a draft of the Inn’s best sub-par ale, the dark amber colored drink filling up the glass mug and spilling over the sides with foam. “See, I could sit here and try and scare you, talking to you about bounty hunters and their prey. Stalking them down throughout the Forests, snaring them in their traps and secretly selling them back to authorities for serious cash., or I could give you all sorts of spooky warnings about Shades, ghastly spectres that roam the Forests and attack those who break The Rules, or maybe even remind you about all of the horrible convicts who make a living by murdering and scraping by off of the spoils of their victims, making you all nervous and suspicious” He slid the glass down to the wary patron, who eyed the drink suspiciously before sniffing at it and gently placing it back down on the bar.

Stories on the other hand, are a much more rare and precious thing.” He said, taking a seat directly across from the strange patron after drawing himself up a draft. “Secret tales of bravery and triumph, of scorn and betrayal. Situations arise sometimes, harrowing events that test the true mettle of all involved. Such stories are much more entertaining.” The Innkeeper paused to take a quick drink of his own tankard of ale, casting a quick silence around the dim and dingy inn.

“So what do you say?” The Innkeeper asked, setting the glass back on the table and staring the visitor in the eyes. “Sharing stories, sipping spirits? Sound like a good time to you?”

This game will be told through the perspective of the Innkeeper telling a story, and all of you are all the Main Characters! How this tale ends depends entirely on you! Sign-ups will last a week!

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

Saved for future updates and rule clarifications.

Player List:
1. Raze (Renegade) - Pyromaniac
2. Joseph (The Only Joe) - Former Fort Man
3. Ash (Ashiok) - Anti-pyromaniac
4. Jain (Lightsworn Panda) - Panda Enthusiast
5. Navor the Hand (Alvron) - Pickpocket
6. Tryel (Tulir) - Timid Herbalist
7. Wilim (Mailliw73) - Eager Volunteer
8. Wern (Wyrmhero) - Hunter and Tracker
9. Kasir (Kasimir) - Shady Peddler
10. Araris (Araris Valerian) - Metalcrafter
11. Snipe (Navybrandt) - Scholar
12. Ryfe (Theorymaker) - Mapmaker
13. Aoran (AonarFaileas) - Doctor
14. Luce (Luckat) - Survivor

Clarifications:
@Joe - No difference. Sorry about that, just bad wording on my part. This game only goes in Cycles, lasting 24 hours. So 1 Cycle or a Full Cycle are the same thing.
@Alvron - Correct, you won't be able to change your vote Day 1 because you won't have any Rations yet. That didn't even occur to me, but that is how it would go.
@Wyrm - Murders would happen at the same time, and not cancel each other out. If a Convict Kill and Murder Hood are used on the same person, it will be shown as such in the write-up. And if 2 people kill each other (one murder hood, and one Convict Kill) then they would kill each other at the same time (somehow. O.o)

And as for votes and posting counting, if you make a post with just a vote, then that would only count as a vote and net you only 2 Rations. But if you make a post discussing the game, or putting any sort of game relevant content in it (or RP) and it has a vote in there, then it will count for both, giving you the 3 Rations.

Edited by Alvron

Raze wished that he could set this whole waystop on fire.  In fact, he wished he could burn down the whole shadows-forsaken Forest.  But no.  He had to restrain himself.  He had to block the little voice inside of him that constantly screamed BURN!  BURN EVERYTHING!!!  And it was all because of those stupid, obnoxious Shades who had nearly killed him.  Several dozen times, in fact.  It happened every once in a while.  When he was careless, or particularly angry, he would give into the voice, and burn whatever was near.  And then the Shades would come after him.  He still could not fathom why.  Maybe they didn’t like the smell of smoke, or something.  It didn’t matter.  Fire was fire, and Shades were Shades.  Thus was the incredibly cruel way of life.  Raze sighed.

“Hey, Inkeeper!” Raze shouted, his voice heavily laden with a strange accent.  “Are you goin’ ta tell us one of them stories again?  Oi did like that one about the riots.  Roit nice, that was.”  And with lots of FIRE involved! the voice added, excited.  Any mention of action or conflict seemed to make the voice excited.  “Oi ‘specially liked the man with a change of heart who joined y’all in the final battle.  Vary noble of him, indeed.”

The Innkeeper sighed, looking over at the man cautiously.  “Seriously hope you do not start another fire, Raze.  Similar to Rengar, you are.  Sanity does not come easily to either of you.  Sure, he went on and got over it and all, but still, he was mad.”

“Is that so?” Raze asked.  “Oi sure wish Oi could meet him.  A man like that might help me with my… condition.”

“Sorry,” the Innkeeper replied, “but Rengar is off doing other things right now.  Saving a planet or something, I’d imagine.”

“Oh,” Raze frowned, disappointed.  The Innkeeper sometimes brought his old buddies into the inn once in a while.  A few weeks back, he had brought in a man who specialized in robbing graves.  A peculiar profession, certainly, but not quite as odd as a person who wanted to burn everything.

Raze sighed audibly, trying to shut out the voice again.  He wouldn’t be able to shut it out forever.  Soon, he knew, he’d have to burn something.  It was inevitable.  But in this area of the Forests, where the Shades were plentiful, he didn’t know if he could actually escape again.

Yep... Raze is a pyromaniac in a place where he cannot ignite a fire.

Edited by Renegade

Joseph is signing up.

He's a former fort-man who left to find a simpler life in the Forests.

I will RP tonight, after I reread Shadow's for Silence.

EDIT:

What's the difference between a full Cycle and one Cycle?

Rations: This game will introduce the “Rations” mechanic. Rations allow a player to survive throughout the game. You need to eat 2 Rations every Cycle to survive. If you go 1 Cycle without eating enough Rations (2), you will be Hungry. When you are Hungry you can not perform any Actions. If you go a Full Cycle without eating the proper number of Rations while in the status of Hungry, you will die from from Starvation.

Edited by The Only Joe

Jain the traveler is back, with an actual LIVE baby panda! Oh, and he's still got his toy one. Funnily enough, no one has ever seen the two pandas together in the same room.  :ph34r:

Seriously, with the amount of gang-related games, I'm getting a bit hesitant about running mine.  <_<

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Navor the Hand.  A pickpocket with an over inflated ego.  Rumour has it he has pockets of gold and silver stashed in safe zones within the forest itself.

So if I understand the rules, we start with no rations and will be unable to change our vote on the first day.  Correct?

Wern signing up for the game. He's a hunter and tracker, and for the right price he'll even guide you into the forest. But you don't spend most of your time in the forest and remain wholly sane. Wern is very suspicious and fidgety character, and highly superstitious. He distrusts fires and those who like them, and always carries silver with him. Unbeknownst to him though, the 'silver' he owns is actually just highly polished steel that a trader sold him for a ridiculous price.

I haven't read Shadows for Silence yet, so RPing might be a little difficult for me, but I think I get the basic idea of things. Basically break one of the three rules, and get killed by a Shade, right?

Sadly, the rules prevent me from accusing everyone under the sun as I normally do, so I think I will have to play this game a little differently. That or make accusations not in red, which would probably be fine :P.

Small rules checks, Gamma. Firstly, the group kill and Murder Hood take place at the same time, so they can't prevent each other happening, yes? And do we need to post and make our votes separately to get three rations, or can we make a single post with vote and get three?

Kasir is a trader offering all sorts of trinkets--a second-hand Shardblade, reputedly taken from the hand of a dead assassin who once killed a king, and stolen from a king (not all at once!), a lump of scarred, cloudy glass with palpable evil radiating off it, an old dagger, reputedly taken from a slain Voidbringer, a sailor's lucky pet ferret, an ornate bronze earring and a series of obscure philosophical tracts--among other things! Whatever it is you want, Kasir can suit your needs!

He can change your coins for all sorts of currencies! And he has silver, but he's sold off the last of his silver for a handsome sum, leaving himself without protection. Look at what a generous dealer he is!

-

Kasir chewed on the last of the chouta, wishing he'd thought to buy more from that street-seller. He'd long outworn his welcome on Roshar--what with that angry noble claiming that the Shardblade he'd been sold wasn't an actual Shardblade as it couldn't even cut butter and it didn't disappear on command. What did he think, Kasir thought, real Shardblades were hard to come by, and he'd had enough difficulty getting his hands on one, as it was.

No, Kasir thought contentedly as he breathed the somewhat-fresh air, scenting new business opportunities. A new world, with people who'd pay dearly for silver. That was more like it. He'd just have to keep away from that hunter bloke when he realised that it was highly polished steel...with just the slightest trace of silver in it.

Edited by Kasimir

My name is misspelled in the Sign up list. The E comes after the S.

Joseph leaned back in his chair, draining the cup completely. Life was much simpler out here. More relaxing. As long as he stayed at the stop and obeyed the 3 Simple Superstitions, nobody bothered him. And the Fort-people never came out here either, so they wouldn't ever find him. He'd left the fort after stealing a good chunk of money, so he could retire here till the end of his days. If only there weren't so many Loud mouths. 

I'm in!

Araris felt a hostile presence on the air as soon as he arrived. Good thing I brought an extra sword. Drawing upon the secrets of metalcrafting that only he and one other had mastered, Araris incorporated the steel of his second sword into his skin, creating a crystal lattice that only the most sturdy of forces could bypass. Despite the pain of the process, he was able gather his focus and shut out all discomfort. His next goal was to find a substantial amount of silver, which might be more effective at protecting his hide than metal skin.

I've been debating whether to sign up for this one or take a hiatus from these for a bit (in part because I haven't read Shadows for Silence yet), but boredom seems to have won out over good sense. :P 

Aoran is signing up. No time to RP right now, but he's a rather pessimistic doctor plying his trade in the waystops. (Who wouldn't be pessimistic when any treatment requiring surgery would either have to be preformed completely blind, or result in your own gruesome death?)

This is RP only, I don't really feel this way.

Snipe sat reading his books.  Studying... always studying.  He liked being the smartest person in the room and looked down his nose at the morons around him.  He wanted everybody to know it too and always corrected people and loved making them feel foolish.  He didn't have any friends as a result, but who'd want to be friends with most of these people anyway.  Why are people so willingly ignorant?  They deserve to die in their ignorance.  Can't he find just one smart person to discuss his ideas with?  He looked at the people around him and their frivolous time-wasting activities - drinking, dancing, gambling, and carousing.  What a waste of time!  Didn't they know they could be so much more if they applied themselves to... well, anything productive.  There was only one person in the room that he even slightly respected.  Aoran was a doctor, which at least required a mind worthy of respect.  But, there he was drinking and dancing with everyone else.  Maybe he wasn't worthy of respect after all.  Snipe went back to reading.

Edit: Snipe isn't really that smart, I guess. :wacko:  Deleted the part about lighting his pipe as that broke a rule... :rolleyes:

Edited by navybrandt

Got a little bit less than two days left for sign-ups! The game will officially start sometime in the evening on Thursday, the 18th!

I want to thank everybody who has already signed up, and I hope this game will be a lot of fun for people to play! For those who are unfamiliar with the setting of the game, you can check out the Coppermind link for the Forests of Hell to get some general information, but you really don't need to know too much about the story to get the gist of the game, honestly.

The Forests of Hell are a strict place with even stricter rules. Don't kindle flame, don't shed the blood of another, don't run at night. To do so means certain death at the hands of the Shades that inhabit the forests. (So that means once the game has started, anybody who breaks these Rules via RP will be killed at the end of the Cycle!) You have been warned!

Wait, you mean we can do it now?

Have fun Raze!

heh, I suppose my words do leave that small loophole, I mostly put the conditional so as not to penalize people who may have accidentally broken the rules in their posts already.

So I will say it is quite discouraged to break the Rules via RP, even before the game begins. (As in, you should probably not break them ;) )

The Forests of Hell are a strict place with even stricter rules. Don't kindle flame, don't shed the blood of another, don't run at night. To do so means certain death at the hands of the Shades that inhabit the forests. (So that means once the game has started, anybody who breaks these Rules via RP will be killed at the end of the Cycle!) You have been warned!

What happens if someone breaks these rules when they were about to be lynched anyway (an Eliminator suiciding, for instance)? Does the next person with the most votes get lynched instead? Because I kind of like that idea >>.

Edited by Wyrmhero