Transcription Requests

Zas678

• 4 weeks later...

Some Q&A's from SDCC:

-2:35 "[the protagonist (villain?)] becomes an eco-terrorist with penicilin" Excellent quotable.

EDIT: I'll take the first part of the Q&A, for now.

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3: Part 1 transcribed, I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else want's to jump on Part 2. Big news that I noticed was some more details on the screenplay for the movie, apparently focusing much more on the Vin/Reen relationship, at least early on. There's also some nice discussion on plot twists.

Edited by Kurkistan

I've had some thoughts on the drop in transcriber-willingness:

As most of those reading this thread probably know by now, transcribing spoken English is a long, demanding, and long project. Ten minutes might take an hour if you're being quick about it (at least for me, though I may just be dreadfully slow).

This has probably discouraged a lot of people from transcribing interviews, especially the longer ones.

This problem is not insurmountable, by any means. Long interviews could be dealt with by simply splitting them into more manageable chunks. Perhaps the far-thinking transcriber could even lessen their own suffering by transcribing short interviews only a piece at a time, a minute here, a minute there, for sanity's sake.

The problem in either solution, or even using both solutions combined, is that it still amounts so a daunting amount of work (cumulatively, at the very least) for each transcriber at some point.

Towards the end of increasing the number of members who will be willing to transcribe works--especially those who simply aren't up to doing even 10 minutes all by themselves--as well as reducing the workload on every transcriber, I suggest that a new norm be generally established where, instead of one or two people "calling" an interview and then transcribing large amounts by themselves, that people "call" fragments of interviews at a time, with the "progress bar" for each interview saying "called up to XX:XX" instead of "Kurkistan (in progress)."

This will reduce the number of judgement calls Zas has to make about when to split interviews up among multiple "assignments," as well as allow much greater flexibility in how we divvy up interviews amongst ourselves. In the long run, it will probably get more work out of everyone, letting people pitch in a little at a time without the daunting prospect of "calling" an entire interview.

To set a brave and noble example for my suffering compatriots (and not at all to save myself from more work), I do hereby call the interval 0:00-2:00 in

of the SDCC Q&A.

For all I know, I'll end up doing the whole thing over the next few days, but it's easier for me to commit to 2 minutes than 10, and I know I won't be letting anyone down if something comes up or I simply decide that I don't feel like doing the full interview. By doing this, I also avoid getting in the way of someone else who might want to transcribe that interview: they could just gobble up the other 8 minutes without so much as a by your leave.

I do this not because it is hard, but because it is easy. ;)

Edited by Kurkistan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kurkistan, if you want me to finish the AMOL panel, I will. Zas said you were transcribing it? (I guess that's what you mean by Tor-Forge?)

One thing I have been thinking about lately because it worked so well when we transcribed Brandon's AMOL reading at LibertyCon: Google Doc transcripts. I did the reading that way with Luckers from Dragonmount and Deadsy from Wotmania (she's been a drifter since they died), and we got it done very quickly. You can tweet those semi-regularly for help, use time stamps for organization, and get your best transcriber to check it when it's done so it's nice and purty.

Edited by firstRainbowRose
Please don't double post. Instead use the edit button. Thanks!

Kurkistan, if you want me to finish the AMOL panel, I will. Zas said you were transcribing it? (I guess that's what you mean by Tor-Forge?)

One thing I have been thinking about lately because it worked so well when we transcribed Brandon's AMOL reading at LibertyCon: Google Doc transcripts. I did the reading that way with Luckers from Dragonmount and Deadsy from Wotmania (she's been a drifter since they died), and we got it done very quickly. You can tweet those semi-regularly for help, use time stamps for organization, and get your best transcriber to check it when it's done so it's nice and purty.

No, Tor-Forge was something else from many moons ago. I don't have any dibs on the AMOL panel.

I suppose a Google Doc could be helpful, although I find that simply listening to the entire interview one last time while reading along with my transcription tends to catch most errors at the end of the day.

What I meant was that you could use a Google Doc to get people to help you transcribe it in the first place.

I'm a lone wolf, wolfing alone through a wolf-eat-wolf world of transcription, but I suppose it's time for this lone wolf to find other lone wolves, and so become a pack of lone wolves, running alone together.

Here's a Doc with 0:00-6:05 of

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jqb9DE3BoKjRm-pHb1ecHZyh-J3uSYhwpTxBNnfZiic/edit

Edited by Kurkistan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New transcription of the Q&A at HalCon thanks to Lance! It can be found here. Let me know if you want to do it, so we won't get any repeats.

I'm working on it now, and I could definitely use some help sorting out a few things related to Brandon's books if anyone is willing to help.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtguXXuLo-ZHRq-W-XX2PoLaP3DwRxCDgSI-eV0wzu0/edit

I'm working on it now, and I could definitely use some help sorting out a few things related to Brandon's books if anyone is willing to help.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtguXXuLo-ZHRq-W-XX2PoLaP3DwRxCDgSI-eV0wzu0/edit

Besides just the actual transcribing, what do you need help with?

Okay, I did what I could so far. One of the question marks was "Mistborn" and the other was spelled Urteau. I also took the liberty of fixing "over-arcing" (it's just written overarching) and de-Canadianizing one of the questions, for readability's sake.

Edited by Kurkistan

lol, yeah for some reason I feel the need to write what people say when I'm actually transcribing it. I usually go back and fix them later. 'oat aboat' just made me laugh. :) For example, I just transcribed Brandon saying 'monumentous'.

Edited by Terez

I couldn't find any other "fan question marks." As a general note, it would be helpful if you could throw in time-stamps for those "[?]" sections (maybe [? 21:37] or something), so that it's easier to find them in the audio.

Edited by Kurkistan

Okay, the remaining question marks are timestamped. They're not a big deal, though; I'll just smooth them out if no one can fill them in. HumbleReader also recorded for a while at the signing table, but I'm not sure how much of it is just WoT questions. While I was timestamping I figured I'd give it a good proofread, so I made some corrections (and HumbleReader also made some).

Also (trying not to spam the thread) I'm about to start transcribing these:

http://www.supanova.com.au/media/podcasts/brandon-sanderson-melbourne-supanova-2012-2/

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=758

http://flyingislandpress.com/flagship/?p=1903

Just wanted to make sure no one else has done so yet. (I'll skip the Legion reading in the podcast.) Also, are there any other transcriptions that need to be done? Just let me know.

Edited by Terez

I transcribed all three of those interviews if anyone wants to read them:

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7532

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7531

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7530

Can anyone tell me, from the second one, if "Mulhallen Homebrew" is correct? I asked Brandon but I'm not sure if he'll answer. And Peter doesn't know. (gasp) So if Peter doesn't know I'm guessing it's not likely you guys do either but I figured I'd ask. I know Brandon has a tendency to change things like this anyway.

Did Zach give you his log-in information for Theoryland? I'm just wondering if you have access to the database. It's fine if you already do through Zach's account, but if not I can give you access, or whoever wants to be the data entry person for 17th Shard. Again, if you guys don't have time to do data entry, that's fine too; you can send me stuff and I'll put it in myself. My main concern, and what I need you guys for most, is that I want the database to be complete, and the non-WoT sphere is where I'm most likely to miss stuff. Joe is on my chat but I get the feeling he doesn't really pay that much attention. :P But he kindly lets me know when he sees stuff that needs to be fixed, and that is very helpful too.

I think it got decided that I'm going to be imputing stuff from this side of things. I do not have access though. I made an account on theoryland (Windrunner there as well). I think Eric's planning on emailing my contact info to you, but he's been busy. Do you want me to send it to you?