A fight of fake proportions.

GM Voice:

Suddenly, for no particular reason, Seynir's vision....ripples. He find himself standing somewhere else. Also, a quick check shows that he also appears to be in someone else's body! Glancing about, he noticed 3 kobolds standing angrily in front of him. Two carry spears, and one has a sling at the ready. They don't look to friendly....

Roll for initiative.

testfight1.png

Seynir

That is it. no more kobold meat before adventure.

I cast Sleep on the square 10.1 feet to the right from me (kobold direction). Defensively:

I also take a 5-feet step to the left (away from kobolds. I indicate direction as on image)

Edited by Satsuoni

(FYI, the rolls won't always be visible for what the DM does, but i'm posting all rolls so you can see how it works)

Rolls

Spear kobold 1 makes a saving throw, and fails! With weary expression on his face, he slumps to the ground.

Sling kobold makes a saving throw, and succeeds! He yawns momentarily but shrugs off your spell.

Spear kobold 2 makes a saving throw and fails! The kobold yawns a mighty yawn and falls over, fast asleep.

Kobolds' turn!

In a voice that sounds like a yipping dog, the kobold screeches out in draconic, "Fools! What are you doing napping! Get up and fight!"

With that, he rushes forward and hurls a rock at you from his sling.

The kobold slings a rock! And misses!

Seynir's Turn!

testfight2.png

Edit: also, to make things easier on us, it may be best to use some grid numberings so we know which square we're using. I'll see if i can't add that in on future images with the tool im using.

Seynir

[ooc]that was weird[/ooc]

I cast magic missile at a slinged kobold for 2 damage :(

(what was weird about it? Kobolds are highly weak :P )

With a screech of fear, the kobold lobs one more rock, then turns and runs, only to find himself trapped!

Sling kobold flings a rock! And threats! But fails to confirm!

Seynir is hit by a rock, and takes 2 damage!

The other kobolds are fast asleep!

testfight3.png

Seynir

[ooc] I thought, since sleep is a round spell, that they would move[/ooc]

5hp;

I am Mad at Kobold!

Hissing, I move to h10;

oops, so it is. I didn't really check the spell description. I could have sworn it was full round. Oh well, i know for later now. They SHOULD have moved, but when i make a mistake, i just roll with it, so we will continue as is. Also, you can still do something with your standard action after you move, so its still your turn if you want.

Edit: wait, I can still cast a standard action, right?

I cast acid splash

What is my modifier for spell touch attack?

Anyhow, I hit: 16

for: 2 damage

[Edit]: I calm down some, having returned the pain to the originator.

Edited by Satsuoni

Edit: wait, I can still cast a standard action, right?

I cast acid splash

What is my modifier for spell touch attack?

Anyhow, I hit: 16

for: 2 damage

[Edit]: I calm down some, having returned the pain to the originator.

Ranged touch attack is 1D20+BaB+Dex modifier. Melee touch attack is 1D20+BaB+str modifier.

The kobold stumbles and sways, and with the last of his strength, hurls a final rock before falling over, obviously bleeding to death.

Sling kobold throws a rock, but misses!

Sling kobold has fallen unconscious!

testfight4.png

Seynir

I move to spear kobold 1 and deliver coup de grace for 5 damage.

[ooc] they should be asleep for another 8 rounds, so I should have time to move and hit[/ooc]

well, attacking them will wake them up, but they only have 4 HP. So as long as you roll 4 or higher, it doesn't matter.

Also: the sling kobold wont wake up unless healed.

Coup de grace rules also state that if they fail fortitude roll, they die anyways.

Seynir

I move to the remaining cobold and coup de grace it for 4 damage.

Yup. I was just saying that the fight will only continue in any capacity if you roll below a 4 (moot point to roll a save when they drop to negatives anyways), provided they don't fail a save. But, you defeated them anyways :P

Seynir

I proceed to finish them off, then loot the corpses. What do I get?

After looting, ... ... (do I still have my scalpel?)

Well, this was just a test fight (which is why i made up the whole "suddenly, you're someone else!" thing), so you don't get anything. :P

It was just a fight i set up really quick so you could get a taste for combat, it has no bearing on the actual story, so there's no loot or anything to gain, and had you died, you also wouldn't have REALLY died. :P

OK, I am feeling better, but tell me, are wizards actually supposed to solo kobolds? (also, I am out of spells in 1 encounter. this does not bode well)

Kobolds are weak. Their challenge rating is 1/4th. This challenge would be a cakewalk for any fully set up party. As you seen, your sleep spell can basically defeat all of them in one round (this is actually true of many low-level encounters and sleep). Almost any class could probably have solo'd these kobolds, they aren't that tough.

Also, as for spells, you can scribe scrolls of any spells you havent casted at the end of the day to have extra scrolls on other days. But yeah, at low level, running out of spells happens pretty quick, though since you were the ONLY one in the fight, it means that you HAD to use spells to win, or else you'd lose. With a party, you'll be able to use your best judgement to tell if you really need to cast a spell or not.

Also, as for spells, you can scribe scrolls of any spells you havent casted at the end of the day to have extra scrolls on other days.

What?

Doesn't scribe scroll take a day, lots of gold and xp?

What?

Doesn't scribe scroll take a day, lots of gold and xp?

It requires 1 day for every 1,000 GP in the price. The base price is spell level X caster level X 25. For a level 1 spell at caster level 1, it's 25 GP. It costs half this amount in gold to scribe (so 12 GP 5 silver), and 1/25th in exp (since we arent using exp, it will be crafting points instead), so 1. :P

Edit: basically, look at the prices here.

Divide that by 1,000 for the number of days.

Divide it by half for base cost.

Divide it by 25 for exp cost.

This is all so long as you don't want to increase the caster level of it.

Still pretty expensive. Also, what do I scribe scrolls on? I have, what, 3 sheets of parchment? Not really worth it unless you are of the higher level, and I have only gold left for 2 scrolls anyways.

well, for crafting, i'm just letting people spend the cost in gold to get the base materials, since in a dungeon you wont always have access to paper and such, so if you want to scribe a scroll, just subtract the cost from your gold, and it "covers" the need for paper. I'm doing this so crafting wont be hard to do because you lack items you would technically need, just to make life easier on anyone who wants to craft. Also, the FAQ topic has the amount of crafting points you get, should you decide to start crafting scrolls. Once you get in the dungeon, you will start getting gold, so you should probably get the cash to start churning out scrolls quick enough :P