The Ultimate SLC Comic Con Stalker Strategy Thread

Seonid

For those of you who have read the stuff released during the Shard Hunt on Brandon's site around Words of Radiance, it's out of chapter two of Shadows of Self. There's a bit in the beginning about release orders. Highlights of this include the reveal that a screenplay for Emperor's Soul is in the works, Isaac has drawn a world map of Sel, Firefight (the book, not the person) will reveal how an Epic knows their weakness, and Hoid likes bacon.

I also searched youtube a bit. Here's the Fireflight reading: 

I don't follow the Reckoners info that closely, so apologies if that's old news!

That's actually from the Fan Expo back in the spring, not from the event this past week.  It was already posted about here.

So the line felt long when I saw him, so I only asked him a quick little question (about Hoid and White Sand). I was lamenting the fact I have a bunch of questions I would like answered to my siblings, and my sister said "Maybe he would respond to an email, cuz how else are you going to get your questions answered?  Maybe I could ask him for you.  We are best friends you know."

15195359105_c4bd9d662c_z.jpg

Maybe people who were there and asked questions can share their answers here while we wait for the transcription.

I asked two questions and had a third answered by him writing it in my book with a signature.

First question was about one of his unpublished works, Aether of Night, wondering if the similarities to the magic system in Liar of Partinel were deliberate. Turns out they were, but they were the result of cannibalization, not a continuous storyline.

Second question was whether it was possible to burn Allomantic metals at different strengths, or if there are only two levels, burning and flaring.

His answer was that you can burn at intermediate levels, but it requires a lot of practice. The best Allomancers can start at a standard burn and increase their burn levels incrementally all the way up until they are flaring the metal, and can push their flares higher than less-experienced Allomancers can. It takes a lot more skill to burn at lower levels than the regular burn than it does to burn at higher levels.

For his signature, I asked him to tell me about one of the Herald's innate powers (from Stormlight Archives). His answer was "They have none."

Anyone else? What questions did you get answered.

Oh, and the guy right behind me in line asked a question about "the man who calls himself Taln," and where he was from. Brandon's answer was that he was from the same place as the other Heralds. Note: there may have been more ambiguity in the wording than I am representing here. This probably shouldn't be taken as direct evidence that Taln is who he says he is until we can examine the exact wording when the transcription comes out.

Oh, and the guy right behind me in line asked a question about "the man who calls himself Taln," and where he was from. Brandon's answer was that he was from the same place as the other Heralds. Note: there may have been more ambiguity in the wording than I am representing here. This probably shouldn't be taken as direct evidence that Taln is who he says he is until we can examine the exact wording when the transcription comes out.

Sounds like evidence for the "Taln"-is-an-insane-other-Herald theory! :D

The Allomancer question was quite interesting. I'm excited to see all the transcriptions. And as to the Heralds... maybe they're very practiced with the Old Magic? Or maybe they don't have innate powers, but they are innately strong/fast/whatever. Hrm.

Edited by Moogle

Sounds like evidence for the "Taln"-is-an-insane-other-Herald theory! :D

The Allomancer question was quite interesting. I'm excited to see all the transcriptions. And as to the Heralds... maybe they're very practiced with the Old Magic? Or maybe they don't have innate powers, but they are innately strong/fast/whatever. Hrm.

-

Huh. That "no innate powers" kinda throws me off. I always assumed they were some level above peak human, though Sanderson may not consider that to be an "innate power."

Yeah. I realized afterwards that it wasn't the best question to get at the answers I was looking for. All that we can really take out of it is that any powers the Heralds have are granted, rather than being their own.

Edited by Seonid

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is a lot of audio! Thanks for being willing to transcribe it for those who couldn't attend in person. I know it'll take forever to get through 30 hours! And it has to be hard to motivate to do it, when you've already heard it once. So thanks!

When you do start transcribing, please consider releasing pieces as you go rather than waiting until all 30 hours are complete. Thanks for all your efforts and for keeping us updated.

It's actually considerably less than 30 hours, the signings are about 10-12 hours worth of audio (wchich doesn't include panels, I've not counted how long those are).  Transcribing is progressing but it takes a while and we want to make sure no questions get missed.  Don't really know when it will get posted (that's above my pay grade) but my best guess is that it'll be sometime before the ball ends.

Did you mean "fall", Weiry? I wasn't aware that there was a ball going on... Is this for Librarians only?  :ph34r:

Nope I mean ball, I'm pretty sure it's the Casuana Ball to be specific (though I might be wrong on that).  It's an old reference, though surprisingly still a relevant one, to Mistborn: The Inquisition.

We actually kind of knew that Mistborn can vary the strength of their burn - for some reason the scene from The Well of Ascension where Vin talks to Zane while he "levitates" in the air before her has stuck with me, and either one of them says something very similar to what Brandon said there. I think.

I have to ask though, why are you guys keeping the audio private? It would go (much?) faster if you all posted the files somewhere and let the community help transcribe them. You know, like we've always done?

We actually kind of knew that Mistborn can vary the strength of their burn - for some reason the scene from The Well of Ascension where Vin talks to Zane while he "levitates" in the air before her has stuck with me, and either one of them says something very similar to what Brandon said there. I think.

I have to ask though, why are you guys keeping the audio private? It would go (much?) faster if you all posted the files somewhere and let the community help transcribe them. You know, like we've always done?

Rubix explained it in an earlier post but basically a booth near where Brandon was playing was blaring copyrighted music and we really don't want to chance any sort of issue with that.  We're almost done and it will definitely be worth the wait.

Aaarg! So tantalizing!

But seriously you guys, thanks a ton for all of the time and effort you're putting into this. Even when I went to an event, it was only three hours long and I didn't even do the transcripts, but I was still pooped after. A dozen thanks to you, good sirs!