Warbreaker, Mistborn, a lil' bit of WOR [SPOILERS]

Sloth

Got me thinking, comparing it(Warbreaker) to mistborn(WOA), Vin and Vivenna, are very similar in an opposite way.

Vin: A Skaa, not trusting, saved and thought how to trust by kelsier, became a noblewoman.

Vivenna: A princess, very trusting, kidnapped(saved but yeah, she's kidnapped) by Denth, became a beggar.

On the other hand, similar and yet opposite plot became to surface, hence, Vin killing, the Lord ruler, and Vivenna's sister(siri), ended up having a romantic relationship with the God King. So that's it, I think that's enough for the mistborn and warbreaker trilogy, same plot at least in an opposite way.

Comparing now, warbreaker to words of radiance is nightblood, and Szeth's sword(the last one he acquired). They both talk, and they talk about evil.

Okay, so theories, I really don't know about Hoid or Wit, I've read about them being "aware" of the other worlds, but are they really the same? Since Hoid is not really active in mistborn and in Warbreaker I can't say much, but I think that the worlds are just parallel universes. Sorry if this is posted in a wrong section, It's my  4th or something thread. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Vin and Vivenna, similar names? Plus God King and Lord ruler, yes?

Edit2: I think this should be in the theories section, sorry, if a mod read this, please feel free to move it if necessary, thanks!

Edited by Sloth

All the Hoids are the same person, he's what is known as a "worldhopper" and he has an Agenda (that we know nothing about).  Each of the stories take place on a different planet in the same physical universe.  So they aren't parallel universes.  The sword that Szeth is given is Nightblood, and the ardent Zahel is actually Vasher.

Warbreaker was partially written as a reaction to the Mistborn trilogy, which was very bleak whereas Warbreaker is bright and colorful.  I had not yet considered the inverse parallels you bring up, they are very interesting and make sense.

And this would probably make more sense in the cosmere theories section since it primarily deals with more than one story, so I will move it.

Well, you appear to have stumbled onto the Cosmere. I recommend reading up on it if you haven't already. The Shards Ruin and Preservation from Mistborn are two of sixteen, Honor, Cultivation and Odium from the Stormlight Archive being another three. Hoid is form the original planet, back when all the Shards were in one piece. Nightblood somehow found its way onto Roshar, Wit reveals himself to be Hoid near the end of Way of Kings, and even more goodies. Hang around and you'll probably notice a few more, alongside our crazy theories about what isn't really said out loud.

Welcome to the COSMERE!

-

I see you've discovered it in a remarkably similar way to how I discovered it! I too believed at first that Warbreaker and Way of Kings might take place on the same world/parallel worlds/something of that nature.

Well, you appear to have stumbled onto the Cosmere. I recommend reading up on it if you haven't already. The Shards Ruin and Preservation from Mistborn are two of sixteen, Honor, Cultivation and Odium from the Stormlight Archive being another three. Hoid is form the original planet, back when all the Shards were in one piece. Nightblood somehow found its way onto Roshar, Wit reveals himself to be Hoid near the end of Way of Kings, and even more goodies. Hang around and you'll probably notice a few more, alongside our crazy theories about what isn't really said out loud.

Thanks! I see, the problem is I skipped the part 2 of Way of kings, my book is only part 1(*frustrated*) and already finished w/ The words of radiance. I finished mistborn(1-3) and warbreaker(ebook) too, Is it necessary to read the new mistborn?  And oh, the link you provided, how or where they know the names of Ruin and Preservation?

A lot of our information comes from interviews, autographs, and just general questions people have asked Sanderson. You can find most of them on the database at Theoryland.com.

-

I recommend reading Alloy of Law. If you enjoyed Mistborn and enjoy Sanderson's writing in general, it's a pretty good read. It's also getting a sequel soon-ish, I think.

And oh, the link you provided, how or where they know the names of Ruin and Preservation?

Way of Kings mentions Ati's name:

Ati was once a kind and generous man, and you saw what became of him. Rayse, on the other hand, was among the most loathsome, crafty, and dangerous individuals I had ever met.

Ati being the root of "atium", which was Ruin's metal (and Leras being the root of lerasium). It was mentioned as being Ruin's name in an interview long ago, and now it's just sort of common knowledge now. I'm not even sure if the interview database contains the original interview where the names were given.

Edited by Moogle

Got me thinking, comparing it(Warbreaker) to mistborn(WOA), Vin and Vivenna, are very similar in an opposite way.
Vin: A Skaa, not trusting, saved and thought how to trust by kelsier, became a noblewoman.
Vivenna: A princess, very trusting, kidnapped(saved but yeah, she's kidnapped) by Denth, became a beggar.
On the other hand, similar and yet opposite plot became to surface, hence, Vin killing, the Lord ruler, and Vivenna's sister(siri), ended up having a romantic relationship with the God King. So that's it, I think that's enough for the mistborn and warbreaker trilogy, same plot at least in an opposite way.

And this is why I consider Warbreaker one of the best Cosmere novels, but also a novel which only really works and ghets it's full impact if you read Mistborn first. So much of Warbreaker makes a lot more sense when considering it as the anti-Mistborn, with a villainous Kelsier (Denth) and a noble Lord Ruler (Susebronn). 

Not to mention that, as well as playing with his own story and tropes, Brandon also subverts a bunch of the old sword & sorcery fantasy clichés, such as during Siri's ritual execution/virgin sacrafice.

• Chaos locked this topic