Book Recommendations

Took me a while to get through The Blade Itself, but I loved it. The writing itself was what drove me more than the characters, honestly. I was a bit disappointed that the entire book seemed to be set-up for the big quest in book two, and it's probably because of that I haven't cracked open Before They Are Hanged. It's on the pile though, as is Best Served Cold. Both keep getting pushed down, though, and I've only come to the conclusion that 'low-magic fantasy' just isn't what I'm into.

I read The Blade Itself and the next two books. It was then I learned I simply can't read low-magic fantasy with any enjoyment. The characters and setting seemed empty too.

I read The Blade Itself and the next two books. It was then I learned I simply can't read low-magic fantasy with any enjoyment. The characters and setting seemed empty too.

I've found that with low-fantasy, the writing itself has to be good for me to enjoy it. Complex, rich characters and a well-crafted plot presented through fantastic prose. And even then, it's not a guarantee. I much prefer high-fantasy, though, and will be so happy when the current overly-depressing dark and gritty low-magic trend fades away.

edited to add; I think one of the reasons I haven't gotten to the other Abercrombie books is because of my general distaste of low-fantasy. That, and I saw some spoilers for the last book that indicate to me that I will not enjoy it, no matter how well written.

Snuff, by Terry Pratchett. He is not losing to his Alzheimer's. He's still at the top of his game. Though, it must be mentioned, his prose these days has a more rambling feel than it used to. Due to the aforementioned Alzheimer's, he has to dictate his books, and I suspect that is why.

Jennifer Fallon is a great author, she tends to write sexually driven cultures which is irritating, but she also avoids putting non plot related sex in her books, which somehow works.

You should try Wolfblade which is the first in her Hythrun chronicles trilogy which also has a sequel trilogy (Demonchild, which you could probably read first since I think Hythrun is actually a prequel, rather than demonchild being a sequel, the first book of that is Medalon)

• 1 month later...

I see that I have read a lot of the above suggested books. There were a few mentioned that I am going to look into but I was surprised when I didnt come accross Peter V. Brett's name in the discussion. It may have been mentioned and I just missed it but just in case.

The Warded Man aka (The Painted Man accross the world), is book one in an apparent trilogy named The Demon Cycle. I found this book at the same time that I read The Name of The Wind and The First Law Trilogy. Although The Name Of The Wind was clearly the better of those books, I feel that The Warded Man is a great read. It has a follow up book named Desert Spear and I was very happy with both books. I suggest people should look into these books and as far as the third book, it is yet unmentioned as far as I know but the storyline isnt finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Snuff, by Terry Pratchett. He is not losing to his Alzheimer's. He's still at the top of his game. Though, it must be mentioned, his prose these days has a more rambling feel than it used to. Due to the aforementioned Alzheimer's, he has to dictate his books, and I suspect that is why.

I love Terry Pratchett~ I haven't read that many, but My favorite books from him are the Tiffany Aching series and Going Postal. His books are always fun to read, and I love all his characters. I'm really sad that he has Alzheimer's :/

There are a lot that you all have already mentioned, and I don't remember the books I've read at the moment. I'll have to go to the library and right down a list and add more later.

One that I can recommend right now is Beloved by Toni Morrison. Here's the synopsis from Amazon:

"[beloved] is an almost unspeakable act of horror and heroism: a woman brutally kills her infant daughter rather than allow her to be enslaved. The woman is Sethe, and the novel traces her journey from slavery to freedom during and immediately following the Civil War. Woven into this circular, mesmerizing narrative are the horrible truths of Sethe's past: the incredible cruelties she endured as a slave, and the hardships she suffered in her journey north to freedom. Just as Sethe finds the past too painful to remember, and the future just "a matter of keeping the past at bay," her story is almost too painful to read. Yet Morrison manages to imbue the wreckage of her characters' lives with compassion, humanity, and humor. Part ghost story, part history lesson, part folk tale, Beloved finds beauty in the unbearable, and lets us all see the enduring promise of hope that lies in anyone's future."

It sounds a little weird...but the writing is way amazing. Especially the end.

• 4 months later...

There is one of my favorite authors that appearently hasn't been mentioned yet. At least the search-function didn't turn anything out. Which is not really a surprise to me, since he is german.

Has anyone ever heard of Walter Moers? I looked it up and his books have at least been translated to english. Amazon told me ;)

He has a very special style. It is fantasy, but not 'normal' fantasy like all those other books that have been recommended here. At first sight his settings seem a little childish, but when you've read some of his books, on should realize that it is really not a very good idea for children to read them. For example, his main characters aren't human nor elves or orcs, but a bluebear or a jackalope living on the fictive continent of Zamonia.

Titles:

13.5 lives of Captain Bluebear

The City of Dreaming Books

Rumo

The Alchemaster's Apprentice

Rumo is one of my all-time favorite books and the main-reason why I say that those books really are not meant for children...

Never heard of Moers. Of course, that is not saying much either.

I will have to revise my opinion on the second Mazalan book. The second half did turn out to be much better than the first half.

Going back to Eon tonight. Probably pick up book 3 of Mazalan Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorites:

The wheel of time- duh. Probably the best fantasy series ever.

Songamaster by Orson scott Card

Congo by Michael Crichton (its not fantasy or sci-fi but it's a totally awesome book)

The first three books in Michael Scott's the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel- they're awesome, but the quality deteriorates in the later books, I didn't even bother to read the sixth and last book after the disappointing book 5.

Brisingr by Paolini- I've heard people say that this was the worst in the Inheritance Cycle, but it was my favorite.

Dune by Frank Herbert- I just read this, and it's really awesome

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin -the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire is merely ok, but I really liked this one.

Probably also a bunch of other books I can't think of right now

Anyway, I think the names I heard most here were Jim Butcher and Malazan. I read the first 100 pages of Gardens of the Moon before giving up due to utter confusion, but now I've decided to give it another chance sometime. As for Butcher, I read the Furies of Calderon, and although the ending was pretty awesome, I found myself struggling to get through the middle of the book.

Edited by Trizee

My favorites:

The wheel of time- duh. Probably the best fantasy series ever.

Songamaster by Orson scott Card

Congo by Michael Crichton (its not fantasy or sci-fi but it's a totally awesome book)

The first three books in Michael Scott's the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel- they're awesome, but the quality deteriorates in the later books, I didn't even bother to read the sixth and last book after the disappointing book 5.

Brisingr by Paolini- I've heard people say that this was the worst in the Inheritance Cycle, but it was my favorite.

Dune by Frank Herbert- I just read this, and it's really awesome

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin -the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire is merely ok, but I really liked this one.

Probably also a bunch of other books I can't think of right now

Anyway, I think the names I heard most here were Jim Butcher and Malazan. I read the first 100 pages of Gardens of the Moon before giving up due to utter confusion, but now I've decided to give it another chance sometime. As for Butcher, I read the Furies of Calderon, and although the ending was pretty awesome, I found myself struggling to get through the middle of the book.

Well, I've never read Furies, but I do adore Butcher's Dresden Files books. I'd suggest you give them a try even if you have an aversion to urban fantasy. I know I normally do.

I always recommended that people start with Book Three, Death Masks. You won't miss anything and it's where the mythos really starts getting built. I've had a couple people not able to get through Storm Front, the first book.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to recommend M.Y.T.H adventures by Robert Asprin. I challenge you to find a funnier fantasy book. Extremely addictive, a fast and light read.

Awesome series! The sci-fi version, Phule's Company is great too! Sometimes it is a great idea to step away from the heavy reading for something fast and light.

As for the challenge... Its tough, but I think Discworld by Terry Pratchet could give the M.Y.T.H. series a run for its money.

• 2 years later...

In the discussion, talking about favorite characters, I mentioned Yossarian being one of mine, and ever since then I haven't been able to get rid of the itch to re-read Catch-22. So I'm mentioning it here: Catch-22 is an amazing book, it has one of the most interesting characters ever, it's hilarious, it is stark, and the structure is unique to the book and is executed so perfectly. 

Catch-22, everyone. Read it, read many, many times. Once I'm done with my in-depth Thomas Pynchon re-read, I'll re-read Catch-22. Catch-22 is for people who like to read. I really think it's a book anyone can get into. That may be why it's been such a big hit. 

I'd like to recommend the Iron Druid Series by Kevin Hearne to anybody who likes Urban Fantasy. The main character is over 2000 year old Irish Druid with the Appearance of a 21 year old. Much like Kvothe, he is a paranoid, charming, smooth talking Red Head with a killer sense of humor.

In the discussion, talking about favorite characters, I mentioned Yossarian being one of mine, and ever since then I haven't been able to get rid of the itch to re-read Catch-22. So I'm mentioning it here: Catch-22 is an amazing book, it has one of the most interesting characters ever, it's hilarious, it is stark, and the structure is unique to the book and is executed so perfectly. 

Catch-22, everyone. Read it, read many, many times. Once I'm done with my in-depth Thomas Pynchon re-read, I'll re-read Catch-22. Catch-22 is for people who like to read. I really think it's a book anyone can get into. That may be why it's been such a big hit. 

I'll second Catch-22.  That book is fantastic.  Wonderfully entertaining the whole way through.  I don't think I can recommend it highly enough.

Things that haven't been mentioned.

Yen Press have a translation of the first volume of Mamare's Log Horizon. Which is a book about being sucked into an MMO that actually reads as if the author had experience of them. The translation seems better than the fan version.

Liz William's Detective Chen Novels. The adventures and troubles of occult policemen in a cyberpunk future.

Joshua Cole's The Fox who Stole Hong Kong. An Urban fantasy criminal caper.