The Emperor's Soul *Elantris Spoilers*

Windrunner

Hasn't it been said that the magic present on a given world is in essence, a natural occurence based on the Shards on the world? Wouldn't this preclude (though of course things change or maybe my understanding is lacking) two Shards actively working together to create magic systems since magic just sort of "happens" when they are present?

Hasn't it been said that the magic present on a given world is in essence, a natural occurence based on the Shards on the world? Wouldn't this preclude (though of course things change or maybe my understanding is lacking) two Shards actively working together to create magic systems since magic just sort of "happens" when they are present?

Some magic systems may have occurred that way but there are examples of shardic manipulation of magic systems

Preservation changes how allomancy works. Endowment send back the returned. Honor had the heralds.

I would say that magic systems do naturally occur on shardic worlds but that does not preclude shards from actively taking part in creating additional systems / ways of accessing shardic power.

(is Shardic even a word? If not it should be.)

Edited by discipleofhoid

In my opinion I don't think that those examples really show a Shard creating a magic system.

Preservation merely altered Allomancy he didn't make it. We don't know about how Returning works, but it could be just a natural outlet for the power of Endowment. Anyway, I don't think Returning isn't a magic system on its own, but a component of Awakening. As for Honor, the Heralds probably aren't using their own magic system. The Honorblades, as well as advanced Surgebinding abilities could account for their supernatural powers. I get why you think what you think though.

This is my personal belief right now. We know that one Shard has to have more influence in a person's spiritual aspect in order for them to become sentient. So presumably at one point Devotion and Dominion worked together, as evidenced by Shu-Keseg's principle of unity. (not definitive proof for sure but better then nothing.) They couldn't both power all the people equally or they wouldn't be able to think. So they compromised, trying different blends of Devotion and Dominion at different points, making them appear different as well. These would have formed the original ethnicities of Sel.

I think it explains fairly well why the Fjordish and Jindo people cannot become Elantrians, they have too little Devotion to use AonDor. (I have decided that AonDor must be powered by both Shards, but mainly Devotion). My personal belief on why the Dor is one power, rather then two, is because as complements, (my theory, not canon) the powers would belong together, so they would eventually tend to end up in the same place, although they would not become one. The power would just appear to be one, because all magics on Sel would draw on both. Does that make sense?

In my opinion I don't think that those examples really show a Shard creating a magic system.

Sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't trying to claim that they were creating a magic system. Just showing that they had some influence over how those magic systems worked. Which does not by any means prove they could create their own magic systems. But if they can actively change some attributes of their magic system I don't think it is a far stretch to say dominion and devotion realized that if they created areas that were of varying parts dominion/devotion they could get varying magic systems. Which is basically what you were saying too.

So presumably at one point Devotion and Dominion worked together, as evidenced by Shu-Keseg's principle of unity. (not definitive proof for sure but better then nothing.) They couldn't both power all the people equally or they wouldn't be able to think. So they compromised, trying different blends of Devotion and Dominion at different points, making them appear different as well. These would have formed the original ethnicities of Sel.

The main difference between what you are saying and what I am saying here is the term compromise versus cooperate. I am suggesting that far from compromising they found a common goal(unity) and worked together towards it. Yes they used different methods but devotion's methods are not anathema to dominion and dominion's are not to devotion so they didn't have problems.

The more I think about dominion and devotion actively working together the more evidence I see for it. I will gather that evidence I see and post it in cosmere section soon.

Oh okay then, I just misunderstood. I definitely agree that a Shard can change their magic system. Yeah Devotion and Dominion were definitely working together at one point, in my opinion. I do think that a rift appeared between them, possibly through Odium's interference. I really think the path of Shu-Keseg splitting from unity to Devotion or Dominion really parallels the path of the Shards.

Brandon read a preview o the first two chapters at LTUE. Peter has said they will eventually put the preview on Brandon's site in a few months, but this was said a few months ago, so it could be any day or still months away.

More than likely that will be when we get a lot closer to the release date. (He seems to do them starting about a month or two before the actual release. If it's a bigger book, it starts sooner.)

Also, be warned that those previews are always subject to change. He may have appeared in a reading in February, but have that chapter cut by the time the book is released.

Also, be warned that those previews are always subject to change. He may have appeared in a reading in February, but have that chapter cut by the time the book is released.

Given. I was more concerned that I had been negligent in my Brandon stalking missed the release of new Brandon material to read. If it was a reading at LUTE then I can impatiently wait for it to be released.

• 2 weeks later...

Double post! :P New information has come to light about Emperor's Soul, including an insight into Emperor Ashravan's condition:

This story, The Emperor's Soul, is a fantasy story about Shai, a master forger. The emperor barely survives assassination, and is left a vegetable. His servants can heal his brain, but he just stares in front of himself blankly, as if his soul is gone. Shai is hired (well, brought off of death row) and told she has three months to create a forgery of the emperor's soul and imprint it onto his body with her magic, so that everyone can continue to act like the emperor is alive.

A bit about allusions to Elantris and Hoid

The Emperor's Soul is set on Sel, the world of Elantris. It's far off, though, so you have to have your eyes open to catch the clues. Hoid shows up in a deleted scene, and is referenced in the story.

Also we now have a time period!

Emperor's Soul is after Elantris, but not too long after. It is before Mistborn.

So it's definitely not some place that is now being subjugated by the Fjordell Empire! Arelon and Teod may have some potential allies here. I'm so excited for this

Brandon's still answering some questions about his new short literature being published this year (Emperor's Soul, Legion and a new dual volume of Defending Elysium and Firstborn). Check it out at Fantasy Faction.

This is extremely exciting. I just hope that it comes out in Audiobook, and in the UK. If Michael Kramer or Kate Reading read this, I would be very happy.

And ANOTHER MAGIC SYSTEM ON SEL! This shows, in my opinion, that there is far more to magic than we have yet guessed.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jacob Santos

I hope Micheal Kramer or Kate Reading read the story, but it might be too short for them or they might not take the story up. I'm not sure I want to purchase a short book, 4 to 6 hours, if we are lucky. I'm probably just going to buy the e-book and save the credit.

• Chaos locked this topic