If Other Authors Wrote the Cosmere Novels

If the 17th Shard wrote the Cosmere, the Stick would be the physical body of Adonalsium, there would be a magic system based entirely on foodstuffs (somewhere between Allomancy and Lift, with cookies and waffles being two of the main components), nobody would have an intact soul due to the constant use of Hemalurgy, Renarin would alternate between being the most awesome entity in the Cosmere and a worthless sack of meat (depending on who specifically was writing), Shallan would never make up her mind on who to have a relationship with, Taravangian and Szeth would both, like Renarin, alternate between tragic heroes akin to Brutus in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and psychopathic madmen, and Hoid would still be Hoid because Hoid is Hoid and Hoid is always Hoid.

LOL that is the best idea ever... 

Or what if the stick was Hoid, and it was Hoid/the stick's stubbornness that shattered Adolnasium in the first place? And every single chapter was written from his perspective? :D

I am not sure if I understand your post... The phrasing you used makes it difficult for me to comprehend... Stupid French :(

Are you saying you think Tolkien wrote more complex and superior characters then Brandon? Because I tend to see Tolkien's characters, with a few exceptions, as pretty flat... All seemed too good to be true, none doubt the guest and all agreed with Elrond without a second thought. Only Boromir seemed unsure and he ends up being depicted as the traitor who thus redeemed himself by dying........ I keep thinking the story would have been a much better one had he survived and been forced to deal with the consequences of his actions upon coming back home.

Frodo was pretty complex.

The way to calm down Fluffy and get past him was to play music, which he always fell asleep to. You were joking about a hermit playing music to get past a chasmfiend. :)

(Sorry if that first post was a little too obscure, I forget not everyone knows Harry Potter back to front...sorry.)

Random fact: when Hagrid tells Harry Ron and Hermione this, is when he says the sometimes quoted "I should not have said that".

Edited by Delightful

The way to calm down Fluffy and get past him was to play music, which he always fell asleep to. You were joking about a hermit playing music to get past a chasmfiend. :)

(Sorry if that first post was a little too obscure, I forget not everyone knows Harry Potter back to front...sorry.)

Random fact: when Hagrid tells Harry Ron and Hermione this, is when he says the sometimes quoted "I should not have said that".

Oh thanks for explaining! I was thinking of Tom Bombadil when I wrote my previous post... How he saved the hobbits from some human eating trees by singing or so I recall (I haven't read LoTR is decades).

I really don't remember Fluffy though and I did read Harry Potter.... :ph34r:

To be fair, Odium is a sequel hook that won't be explained for at least another book.

My contribution is to mock M.L. Foreman.

Everyone in the first book will smile a lot as well as be exactly the right kind of people to mesh with the main character's personality. Let's pick Kaladin. The people in the group would know how to deal with his depression. They would all work together while Kaladin learns control his inherent abilities (no spren) to defeat a dragon. Kaladin would become a dragon. (I hate dragons in cheesy books)

In the second and third books, there will be no character growth and no lasting connections made by Kaladin. Everyone in the fandom will give up on the series due to its crapy writing style with no substance.

Kaladin will also get a magical sword that will never ever be explained and at the end of every book he will reflect on what great people he has in his life though there will be no one there. It will be embarrassing.

The end!

Oh thanks for explaining! I was thinking of Tom Bombadil when I wrote my previous post... How he saved the hobbits from some human eating trees by singing or so I recall (I haven't read LoTR is decades).

I really don't remember Fluffy though and I did read Harry Potter.... :ph34r:

It's ok, I really don't remember Tom Bombadil and the trees even though I did read the first LoTR   B)

See how great chasmfiends are in uniting fandoms!  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Edited by Delightful

I am not sure if I understand your post... The phrasing you used makes it difficult for me to comprehend... Stupid French :(

Are you saying you think Tolkien wrote more complex and superior characters then Brandon? Because I tend to see Tolkien's characters, with a few exceptions, as pretty flat... All seemed too good to be true, none doubt the guest and all agreed with Elrond without a second thought. Only Boromir seemed unsure and he ends up being depicted as the traitor who thus redeemed himself by dying........ I keep thinking the story would have been a much better one had he survived and been forced to deal with the consequences of his actions upon coming back home.

I think it's important to remember that with Brandon we're at least inside his characters' heads part of the time.  With LotR, you're getting the story third-person.  I really do think that Tolkien's world and characters are very rich and full of depth, even though you're not seeing inside their thoughts the same way you do with Brandon's.  As writers, the two have different goals and styles.  I'm not saying one is superior to the other; they're just different.  I don't think the characters in LotR do things without thought.  What I think happens is you don't see firsthand them struggling with choices.  You get inklings, like Aragorn mentioning more than once in conversations that he was dreading the choice he had to make: to go with Frodo to Mordor or to go to Gondor (right before the Fellowship gets divided).  He's in turmoil over the decision he knows is coming, but you don't see it all "on screen."  Instead, you really are only told he's struggling with the decision through a conversation he has, and you don't hear all of it.  To look at Elrond and people agreeing with him (I think you're thinking more of the movie than the book), there is a whole chapter devoted to the council.  Leading up to it, the reader is not privy to discussions between Elrond and Gandalf or any other council participants except really for Frodo and Bilbo, who do more talking about other matters.  

The big difference between SA and LotR is that there is an obvious enemy in LotR, and thus, an obvious evil in the world.  The good guys don't always agree on how to fight that evil, but that doesn't mean they don't struggle with choices, both moral and strategic.  With SA, at least speaking for myself, I find myself rooting more for specific characters and against others (like Sadius).  Odium is definitely a "bad guy" to me because the characters I'm rooting for are seen as good guys in my eyes.  Brandon has a lot of gray characters, though.  I'm not promoting either Tolkien or Brandon over the other, but I am saying that they're different writers.  I love LotR and really do think there is a lot of depth and richness to the world and characters, you just don't see it all in front of your eyes as the reader.  There are many layers behind it, and I think that can get construed as being more simplistic, when in fact it is not.

I hope that makes sense.  I feel very inadequate writing stuff like this.  I never quite feel like I've explained properly what is in my mind.

If the Cosmere was turned into a series of movies by Disney/Marvel, Hoid would have an eye-patch. And would inexplicably be black.

Sadeas knelt on the floating asteroid.

"The Rosharans were not the cowering wretches I was promised. They stand. They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court death."

Odium turned around. A smile lit up his face.

Captain America 2

“You don't know what I do for mankind. By killing me, you have doomed yourselves." - TLR

"Don't trust anyone [pierced by metal]!", Spook wrote with his last bit of strength.

"The Caton of Inquisition grew, a beautiful parasite inside the Final Empire. For 1,024 years, we have been waiting for our god to be freed. Humanity will fall and Ruin's new world order (or lack thereof) will arise! Hail Hydra Ruin!" 

Edited by Curiosity

Tolstoy

All ten books of the SA would be compiled into a single massive volume that is one of the greatest achievements of literature that is so big no one will actually read. At least a quarter of the book will be in a foreign language, which may or may not be translated. There will be huge amounts of footnotes for all the historical background that the reader luckily doesn't have to already know. It will focus entirely on Alethi nobility and either the war against the Parshendai or the possible future invasion from Mr. T. All of the young romantic couples will also be somewhere between 12 and 14 which is just kinda creepy.

There will also be this great scene where Hoid gets Adolin drunk and sends him out carousing and Adolin ends up tying Zahel onto the back of a whitespine and leaving the whitespine in the middle of a shallow river.

If the Cosmere was turned into a series of movies by Disney/Marvel

Vin busts into TLR chamber 

TLR "enough of this, I am a god you pathetic child and I will not be bullied by"

Vin (burning the pewter) grabs him smashes him into the floor repeatedly

TLR "uhhhhh"

Vin "puny god"

:D  :D  :D