J.K. Rowling's New Book

SOM1else

So I just saw that J.K. Rowling is coming out with a new book later this year. Here is part of a news article I read about it.

Virtually all that was revealed was that the book would be published in the U.S. by Little, Brown (Scholastic had published her “Potter” books in America) and that more information would be released later this year. Literary detectives everywhere are now searching for clues to what the new release is about, and some commentators are speculating that the work could be in the crime fiction genre. Little, Brown didn’t comment except through a mostly detail-free press release. A story in the Guardian recently announced “There’s no official word on what her new book will be about, but all the evidence points to a crime story.” As for Rowling, she’s still being cryptic. “As you may have heard, I have a new book out later this year. Very different to Harry, although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much,”

I don't know about you guy but I'm super excited to see what this ends up being.

Guest Jacob Santos

I always thought of Rowling as a one trick pony. Granted, that one trick made her more money than I'll ever see my entire life. I'd like to be proven wrong. However, I think many will compare it to Harry Potter. I'm sure the first book will sell like hot cakes, based on her success with Harry Potter.

How well did the children's book spin-off do? I can't remember. I thought it was good, but some critics didn't like it and if I remember correctly it wasn't as big of a success as her Harry Potter books, which is like saying a 15million album selling artist didn't do well selling only a million copies with their new album.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't expect her to duplicate the wild commercial success of Harry Potter. I do however expect her to produce books that are better than Harry Potter, because I think it's silly to assume that the writer who gave us Harry Potter is incapable of writing anything else. I've seen the sentiment expressed in many places by many people, and I'm not sure where it comes from. I can think of no other author whose fans expect her next book to suck.

I am, however, a little afraid, on several counts. First, Rowling has no need to work for a living, and I have to wonder if, missing that fundamental drive, would her works have the same edge? Second, no editor is going to reject a book by J.K. Rowling. These two factors could combine to produce a weak offering.

But as I said, I'm optimistic. I think she's shown the ability, and there's no reason why she shouldn't be able to apply it to anything she wants to write.

• 2 weeks later...

This is supposed to be an adult book, so her audience will be different. I'll check the reviews on it. The prose and writing style of adult books vs. kid books is very different. She has an outstanding prose style for kids. I'll be interested to see how she adopts it to an adult book.

She will sell alot of books just on her name. Dan Brown still sells millions of book and they get terrible reviews. It is next to impossible for 1 person to have the kind of success she had to with Harry Potter with something else. That being said, success is relative and she will probably still sell more of these books than 99.9% of authors do with their best sales.